“Over all good place to stay few minor problems.”
Review of Valley West Inn

and 1 more site!
Valley West Inn
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
“Over all good place to stay few minor problems.”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Valley West Inn was over all a good place to stay. I drove in from CT getting to Des Moines around 7 am and they allowed me to go right up to my room.. My only few complaints are one of their front desk workers, Tony was very rude about me checking in, watched me carry 4 bags in myself and just sat there, when I wasn't aware of where my room was he just pointed.. Their maid service only comes once a week.. Meaning if you want fresh towels you need to call, and even then it takes forever and you end up having to go get them.. Now since we stayed a week we had a room with a stove top and fridge... It would have been nice to know that you needed to bring your own pots and pans if you wanted to cook.. In the long run we ended up eating out every night because we couldn't cook but when I called the hotel staff reassured we would save money since we could cook there. When we would warm up food in the microwave that was fine, but when it came time to do dishes (again maid staff once a week) the hotel staff told me they didn't supple dish soap so I had to run up to target to get dish soap and a sponge! Our last complaint was with staying a week and maid service once a week no one took out our trash.. Okay no big deal we were willing to do that.. But the front desk told me they had no spot for trash????? When I asked tony for a trash bag he said he didn't have any and I had to be rude and say "you can't tell me a hotel doesn't have spare trash bags" that's when he gave me one.. Only still no place to put the garbage. We ended up stuffing it outside in the small trash cans by where you smoke!!! Over all it was a nice clean hotel.. The sports bar upstairs was great, and so was the location.. Across the street from the mall, and about 10 minutes from a bigger mall. 2 minute drive to the grocery store and other stores, and across the street from a nice little bar to play pool and listen to music. We will be back on our next visit, we just hope those minor things are still not issues!

• Stayed October 2013
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to give us your feedback. I apologize for the issues you experienced with some of our staff members. We will most definitely use this to work on the customer service that is provided. I would also like to apologize about the lack of communication in regards to the services provided for our extended stay plans as well. We are currently working on clarifying our services for Nightly guests as well as Extended Stay guests. I am happy to hear you found our facility clean and you enjoyed that amenities and the area. I hope to see you again in the future and find we have improved in these areas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This wasn't the worst stay of our lives but it certainly wasn't the best. I went to check in and tere was a drunk man behind the desk drinking bud light. I didn't get a hello or anything. Then he proceeded to yell at the front desk clerk, "there's my number! Don't let my brother see I, I don't want him calling me!!" She then said, I can help who's ever next. The check in was quick. Not friendly, but quick. We went to the room, and while I was getting ready my husband went to the bar. He said he walked in, the bartender was sitting down, and seemed annoyed he asked for a drink and a shot. Wow. Way to make tips. We were going to a wedding reception so didn't spend much time in the room. But, when we did, we heard kids screaming and running around. When we went to check out the next day, we walked out of our room, kids were running everywhere. The room directly across from us was wide open and there were mattresses on the floor. They were apparently living there? Wow. Poor kids. Not impressed and feel bad for the poor living conditions those children are in.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jillian C

Travelers are raving about these West Des Moines hotels

Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stopped at a hotel off I 80 only to be told there were no rooms. Clerk recommended the Valley West. While the hotel is nothing special, the room was clean and the bed comfortable for a one night stay. Check in clerk a little surly but the room was less expensive than the one I'd stopped at first. Restaurant attached is the Cosy Cafe. The food is very average and the service disappointing. I would eat elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank VickiLGreenOaks_IL
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2013

this hotel very yucky when you enter inside you can smell very bad looks dirty.. the swimming pool looks old and dirty gosh..! when you look picture in their site its very nice and look very clean. be careful its just pictures not real..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mbwf11
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We started off missing a light bulb an it didn't improve. Toilet didn't flush, super low shower head, flimsy towels, and more stairs than an MC Esher painting. Smell varies by location. Don't be fooled by the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank SoccerMom52737583
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friend and I had a girlfriends get together and spent one night at this hotel. Although it is an older hotel, the carpeting appeared to be new and the room was in good repair. The room was very large and the beds either had foam toppers or new pillowtop mattresses. Although our window faced the parking lot, the room was quiet and very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. When we left, the check out staff was appropriately friendly and seemed to really care about our stay. Wonderful customer service!

Room Tip: Room 145 was quiet and comforable and very large!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandi N
Cedar Grove, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I recently stayed here for a weekend retreat (fairly large group of 100+ folks) and was quite disappointed with the decor of the hotel, the quality of the furnishings, and overall experience. Check-in was fairly smooth, not a whole lot of extra care or courteously by the hotel staff. After a few minutes I was able to find my room . . . WARNING if you are disabled or have difficulty with stairs go elsewhere! One must be able to go up & down stairs in order to go through the hallways/entry doors from the conference rooms to the lobby to your room.
Room was spacious but TERRIBLY outdated! I brought a portable DVD player with me in order to have movie night but the TV was at least 20 years old and had no external ports to connect. If you are traveling on business or need a lot of light in your room, you are out of luck here. I had 1 bedside lamp and one standing lamp in the corner. The room clearly showed some wear & tear (walls, carpet were both tired/dirty looking, etc.).
All in all, an interesting place; may or may not stay here in the future.

Room Tip: There is an attached dinner restaurant to this hotel; they are only open for breakfast & lunch.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
Extended Stay America - Des Moin...
#20 of 22 in West Des Moines
Sterling Hotel and Suites
Wildwood Lodge
Wildwood Lodge
#3 of 8 in Clive
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moine...
#11 of 22 in West Des Moines
West Des Moines Marriott
West Des Moines Marriott
#6 of 22 in West Des Moines

Been to Valley West Inn? Share your experiences!