“It was OK”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Chicago, Illinois
“It was OK”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed overnight. The staff was very friendly. The room was not that great. It was a bit worn. With a little attention to detail this would be a very nice hotel. The duvet had a hole in it, the doorknob to the closet was falling off and paint was pealing in various places. The bed was situated right in front of the A/C and about 12 inches from the a/c. We could not run the a/c while in the bed because it blew directly on us. Uncomfortable. The bathroom was very clean but the room felt dirty and worn. There was a burn mark in the carpet from an iron. Breakfast was fine. Would I return? No. For the price I can do better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Reeselmt
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Dear Reeselmt,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your observations. We are looking forward to a full renovation early next year, please come back to see us then!

Best regards,

Abid Talic, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Hiawatha, Iowa
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I would say I was very happy with the hotel. My friend and another friend stay at a different hotel but I looked on line and found this one that was a bit cheaper. It was the weekend for State Wrestling so it was a little on the roudy side. I must say the gentleman at the desk was very good even thou you could see he is overloaded in his job. I would gladly stay there again.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy825
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear Nancy,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and for the recommendation! Glad you enjoyed your stay; hope you found some great deals on your shopping trip. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Take care,

Abid Talic, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed here for a wedding and got a great rate with the wedding block of rooms. The hotel was very clean, I found the staff pretty friendly and had a nice stay. I've been at some other Fairfield Inns recently and this one was significantly better! The breakfast area was a good size, it was clean, an ok variety of things to eat included in your stay. I also felt like I heard way less at this hotel than my last Fairfield Inn. The beds were OK...not super great or bad. My only issue was the giant flood lights outside our room that were hard to block out even with the curtains.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Spencer, Iowa
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We were disappointed with Marriot. The room was fine, average. It is an older hotel where the rooms had been remodeled. What was disgusting was the pool. There is black mold under the rim and algae by the steps. It made us wonder about the cleanliness of the rest of the building. Breakfast was scant and we didn't care for the noise of the freeway. When we left the staff didn't even ask why. We had booked 3 nights and left after one.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank NannerSwan
dheinlein, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and truly regret that you had a negative experience, as it’s our goal to always provide our guests with 100% satisfaction. It’s valuable feedback like yours that enables us to address problems encountered during a stay with us. Please be assured that these issues have been addressed and corrective action has been taken. Once again, thank you for your review, please accept our sincerest apologies and thank you for choosing Marriott and our hotel.
Willow Spring, NC
Reviewed February 12, 2010

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms were very, very clean....but the walls were paper thin! I could hear full conversations from the room next to mine. In the bathroom, I could hear my neighbor moving hangers in what I assumed was sharing the wall with their closet. I could hear every flush above me and beside me.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Softball_Travel_Mom
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We were only here for one night, so maybe my experience would have been better had we spent more time here, but I wasn't impressed. I didn't have a huge expectation, but I did feel that the facility lacked a warmth appeal. First off, we had to wait for about 15 minutes before we had somebody help us get checked in, and even when that happened, we didn't get greeted with a warm smile. Maybe it was late in the day, or maybe they were busy earlier in the day, but I didn't feel that we were deserving of such treatment, considering we didn't even give fuss about waiting for that long. However, once we got checked in, things were fine.

The room itself was okay. It was large, but the furnishings were too small and made the room feel empty, so it didn't feel as homey as other Marriott hotels that we've stayed at. The bed was comfortable and large (we had a king room and there was an additional sofa with ample room for more furniture) and the linens were crisp. We were both so tired that we just passed out, so that was great. The complimentary high speed internet connection was painfully slow, so that was frustrating, but we got by.

I noticed there was a fitness room and pool that a few people were using, but didn't personally use it. However, it looked like a good size to do some lap swimming and the fitness room had good equipment. There is a free breakfast but the selection was just okay, with cereal, toast, and there weren't even eggs so we opted not to have it.

The location is pretty good considering that about 2 miles south of the hotel, there is a big town center called Jordan Creek Town Center. There you have a movie theater, an array of shops, Cheesecake Factory, Champps Bar and Grill. Around the hotel there is a Quizno's, Burger King, McDonald's, and other Marriott hotels, so the area is safe. It's conveniently located off the 80, so it's pretty easy to get to.

All in all, the experience was just average. For the price that we paid ($70/night), it was good. Nothing extraordinary, but yet again, we were only there to stop over.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Loved the bed and room at this hotel. We had driven from Chicago and were exhausted. Bed was super comfy.

Breakfast is basic, unfortunately, with only pastries and cereals. Oh, they also have the crazy waffle maker that all hotels have these days. It's always a show watching the people who eat that stuff. Also, they have Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches which is so much better </sarcasm>

Wireless internet was almost impossible to get on to. We had a PC, Mac and two touches with us and none could get on. Called down to get different passwords and usernames multiple times and none worked. Ended up free loading on the public network at the computer store across the street.

Staff was sweet and nice and I loved my brief time here - even with the ranting above. :-)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple