“Not bad”

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Iowa
“Not bad”
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Got this off priceline for real cheap as we decided to go down to the state fair. Everything was fine, rooms looked good, service was fine, location was great right off the interstate. The pool was freezing cold though....I mean cold and no sauna/hot tub either. The breakfast buffet in the morning was a tad expensive, not bad though...Ive spent more on a lesser selection of food other places but the Sheraton here had a good spread and our son ate free so that's always a plus. I can see how elevator traffic could be an issue if the hotel was busy but it wasn't during our stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
FSDDT, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Thanks for the nice comments and we hope to see you next time in town…..we will make sure the pool is warmer

Rick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton from April 27 – May 1st. I got a great deal for the club level on the 10th floor and felt it was well worth the money. The hotel layout was interesting with the atrium and glass elevator. While the hotel is older, the lobby is renovated and the rooms didn’t feel out of date. There are also a multitude of restaurants and shopping within 1-2 miles of the hotel which made for easy dinning and errands after a full work day.

The club room provided a free hot breakfast, hot and cold happy hour appetizers and all the bottled water, coffee (espresso and cappuccino maker), juice and soda you wanted. The staff in the club room were also extremely nice and accommodating.

I had a king room with a couch and desk. The room also had a separate moveable computer table, which was extremely convenient for in-room dinning and working. The towels and bedding were above average (although the coverlet was stained – I just took it off) and the room came with a robe. The bathroom amenities were also very nice, they included a shower puff, shower gel, shaving cream, cotton balls, q-tips, shampoo, lotion, etc. I was impressed by the selection.

One drawback was that the carpet was a dark color and actually was quite dirty. It turned my socks black after walking just a few hours on the floor.

The business center was nice and the front desk staff were very helpful and professional. They helped me find packaging for a large Fedex package (there is a drop box in the business center). They even let me check in 4 hours early when I arrived.

All and all, it is a great location, a decent hotel and I would return if traveling on business.

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Manhattan
Reviewed May 9, 2009

The hotel is near 2 major freeways. It has plenty of parking and free wifi in the lobby. The business center offers free internet access. It's walking distance to Applebees, Chilis and McDonald restaurants. The room was a nice size and the hotel was clean. Wifi in the room was $9.95 extra. I rented a movie in my room for $13.99 and I thought that was expensive. There's a restaurant in the lobby. I was able to get early check-in and the hotel has a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a few miles radius at no charge. I took the hotel shuttle into Des Moines (about 8 miles away) and that cost me $20. There's a gift shop right off the front desk area. My room was fine and the bed was comfortable. The hotel was generally okay but nothing to write home about...just average.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I recently spoke at an event is Des Moines that was held at the Sheraton West Des Moines. Initially, I was not able to get a room at this hotel as it was a very busy weekend in Des Moines with the Drake Relays and several sports tournaments as well.

I went the say before the speaking engagement to check on the set up up of the conference room. The Sales & Catering staff I dealt with were extremely amiable and helpful. Both Brian and Haleem catered to everything I asked for. They really went above and beyond to ensure our workshop was a success.

When I explained to Brian that even though I was speaking at this hotel, I had been unable to secure a room there, he promptly went to work. He found a great room at a fantastic price for me and my colleague!

On Saturday morning they had a breakfast buffet complete with an omelet station. My colleague and I wanted to just grab something to go from the buffet and take it with us. We spoke to the hostess and she told us the buffet was $11.95, to go ahead and make out plates and then we could pay. We had no problem with the 11.95 price, but when we went to pay, she opted to charges us $7.95 for the amount of food we had taken to go! I even had an omelet!

The room was clean and the AC worked great. It was a spacious suite with a king sized bed and a sitting area with a fold out sofa.

My SINGLE complaint is that this Sheraton charges $9.95 per day for internet access. I was not happy about that and considering this day and age, I strongly feel wireless internet should be free. They do have a bank of 3 computers in the lobby as well as a small business center that allows internet access.

Should I ever have the need to travel to Des Moines again, I will certainly stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on Valentine's night. The room was clean and the front desk staff was friendly. We enjoyed our stay. The only drawbacks were that the elevators weren't working, so we had to use the service elevator. The hotel was pretty full, so getting up and down was kind of inconvenient. At breakfast the next morning, the restaurant was extremely understaffed. However, when we did finally get seated, the food was good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Omaha
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton West Des Moines for one night as I was in town for a concert. The location is great, close to the interstate, shopping and restaurants. My king room was nice and big with a couch and a desk. The bathroom was smallish, but the shower had a curved rod and a separate light source, which helped quite a bit. The bed was comfy. The cable was either really snowy on most channels or just slightly snowy on the rest, which made watching TV challenging.

They are currently doing maintenance on the elevators, so there is only one available and it's pretty slow, especially on a Sat night. I had a drink at the bar, which was pricey (as expected) but really good. They also have 3 computers with internet access in the lobby, which was nice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Humboldt
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel on Jan. 24 for my boyfriend's company Christmas party. The stay was awesome! The only drawback was that one of the elevators was out of service. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were gorgeous! I can't wait to bring the kids next time!

• Liked — The openness of the hotel, being able to see all the rooms from the balcony
  • Disliked — The out of order elevator.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Des Moines
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#1 of 22 in West Des Moines
#6 of 22 in West Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#12 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel? Share your experiences!