“Great Service, Nice Rooms, Good Breakfast.”

Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I recently spoke at an event is Des Moines that was held at the Sheraton West Des Moines. Initially, I was not able to get a room at this hotel as it was a very busy weekend in Des Moines with the Drake Relays and several sports tournaments as well.

I went the say before the speaking engagement to check on the set up up of the conference room. The Sales & Catering staff I dealt with were extremely amiable and helpful. Both Brian and Haleem catered to everything I asked for. They really went above and beyond to ensure our workshop was a success.

When I explained to Brian that even though I was speaking at this hotel, I had been unable to secure a room there, he promptly went to work. He found a great room at a fantastic price for me and my colleague!

On Saturday morning they had a breakfast buffet complete with an omelet station. My colleague and I wanted to just grab something to go from the buffet and take it with us. We spoke to the hostess and she told us the buffet was $11.95, to go ahead and make out plates and then we could pay. We had no problem with the 11.95 price, but when we went to pay, she opted to charges us $7.95 for the amount of food we had taken to go! I even had an omelet!

The room was clean and the AC worked great. It was a spacious suite with a king sized bed and a sitting area with a fold out sofa.

My SINGLE complaint is that this Sheraton charges $9.95 per day for internet access. I was not happy about that and considering this day and age, I strongly feel wireless internet should be free. They do have a bank of 3 computers in the lobby as well as a small business center that allows internet access.

Should I ever have the need to travel to Des Moines again, I will certainly stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel

Reviewed March 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on Valentine's night. The room was clean and the front desk staff was friendly. We enjoyed our stay. The only drawbacks were that the elevators weren't working, so we had to use the service elevator. The hotel was pretty full, so getting up and down was kind of inconvenient. At breakfast the next morning, the restaurant was extremely understaffed. However, when we did finally get seated, the food was good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton West Des Moines for one night as I was in town for a concert. The location is great, close to the interstate, shopping and restaurants. My king room was nice and big with a couch and a desk. The bathroom was smallish, but the shower had a curved rod and a separate light source, which helped quite a bit. The bed was comfy. The cable was either really snowy on most channels or just slightly snowy on the rest, which made watching TV challenging.

They are currently doing maintenance on the elevators, so there is only one available and it's pretty slow, especially on a Sat night. I had a drink at the bar, which was pricey (as expected) but really good. They also have 3 computers with internet access in the lobby, which was nice.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel on Jan. 24 for my boyfriend's company Christmas party. The stay was awesome! The only drawback was that one of the elevators was out of service. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were gorgeous! I can't wait to bring the kids next time!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I was in Des Moines for a business trip last week and stayed at the Sheraton. On my way back to the airport in the hotel shuttle van, I had just received word my flight was delayed due to the ice storm coming into town. Rick, the van driver, called the hotel, reinstated my reservation and turned around and drove me back to the hotel. When I got back to the hotel, I was disappointed that I might not make it back to my daughter's birthday the following day. I walked into the hotel and the front desk staff welcomed me back, had my room all ready and when I arrived to my room, they had a present from the hotel for me to take home to my daughter along with a note apologizing that their dad had to stay an extra night. The hotel staff went above and beyond and made me feel at home when I couldn't get home. When I arrived home, the following day, I gave the gift to my daughter and she smiled and said, it's ok dad, I'm glad you are safe. She opened the present and was thrilled as it was a picture of High School Musical when they stayed at the Sheraton. This made my daughter's birthday as she loves High School Musical and thought this was the best gift ever. For what I thought was going to be a sad birthday for my daughter ended up being the best birthday. The Sheraton is the nicest and friendlist hotel in Des Moines.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2008

The amenities and welcome received vary from stay to stay. Only half of the time did I receive the room type I reserved, and most of the time I was greeted with "is there your first time here" even tho I was a frequent guest. I also did not like that they would not take my word, but required an affidavit signed each stay attesting that I would neither begin to smoke or bring a pet to the room - I'm not used to being treated as a liar. There are many better places to stay in the area.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank NA9
Reviewed September 9, 2008

I wanted to stay somewhere on the west side of Iowa between Council Bluffs and Des Moines. I didn't find very many hotels between those two cities and the hotels in Council Bluffs were pretty expensive. So I evaluated a number of hotels in the Des Moines area and decided that the Sheraton in West Des Moines was the best deal. It turned out to be a good choice. This is a very nice hotel and an excellent value. It was better than most of the hotels we usually stay in, but didn't cost more than we usually pay. If you plan to stay in this area, I highly recommend you check out the Sheraton in West Des Moines.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#1 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hampton Inn Des Moines-West
Hampton Inn Des Moines-West
#2 of 22 in West Des Moines
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites West Des Moines-Jordan Creek
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites West ...
#11 of 22 in West Des Moines

Been to Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel? Share your experiences!