“My 3 Day Stay”

Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family attended an event in Des Moines and I wanted you to know of my experience at the Sheraton West Des Moines. I made reservations for 3 people and prepaid by using Hotwire.

We arrived to find our room had 1 bed for 3 people. My daughter had to sleep on the pull-out sofa (those things are not comfortable no matter what you do). As we were pulling the sofa bed out...we found a riding crop tucked in the mattress. NO DOUBT what it was used for and I think that is disgusting. I had no confidence in how clean the room was after finding that. The riding crop was obvious from the moment we pulled the bed out of the sofa!! I wanted to leave immediately but our room was already paid for. We asked for more blankets to be sent up for the sofa bed to create more of a barrier between my daughter and the mattress...they never arrived. Fortunately we had brought 3 big blankets for the ride out to Iowa and we brought those up from the car to use.

Our bathroom was so tiny you had to straddle the toilet or step into the bathtub to close the door. We had 2 bath towels for 3 people....and extras never arrived either when requested. Ridiculous!

My hubby gave credit card at check in for incidentals. We were not informed that they would charge $50.00 each day to our card no matter what AND not deduct any room charges from that amount deducted for incidentals. Spoke with a very rude and argumentative woman at the front desk named Becky Wagner. Instead of being concerned and helpful and creating a good customer relationship, she just wanted to be rude, argue with me, and tell us she goes through the same thing when she stays at other hotels. I asked her why we were not told that incidentals would be charged to our card (which is perfectly fine) AND that $50.00 would be charged to our credit card each day as well (not OK). She told me that takes too much time. WHAT??? I was very mad at that point!!

I do Payroll at a 4 Seasons Resort and I know good customer service...the Sheraton does not have it thanks to Becky. To try to salvage a little of our stay...we took our daughter swimming in the smallest pool I have ever seen at a hotel...no towels available. Heated pool was freezing and we stood around wet and cold waiting for towels to show up as the towel rack was long since empty. Spoke to 2 other families waiting for towels as well. Hubby went to front desk to request them and 30 minutes later, still no towels. So I went to front desk, spoke with a very nice lady (FINALLY)...and towels were delivered immediately. All in all, worse Sheraton experience ever and was bad enough that I probably will not be staying with Sheraton again....definitely will not be staying at the one in Des Moines. I also will be sharing my experience with Hotwire and TripAdvisor as well as with my resort I work at.

The customer should not be argued with and treated like we were. If they are unhappy about something, you make it right. I thought Sheraton had better standards than that! We did not get what we paid for!!

Room Tip: go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Bobbi N
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

I am very sorry you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping and Front Desk management and proper training has been completed to prevent this from happening again. Thank you for taking the time to share your situation so we can become a better hotel.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked this on Hotwire. I have 3 daughters--16, 14, and 8 years old. I usually end up with not enough bed space, so I reserved a room for 3 adults. It was a small room with a king sized bed, and a queen sized pull-out sofa. I didn't want a pull-out! I really wanted two beds! And it was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but the room smelled like smoke. For a long time we thought we were hearing a loud stereo or band, but then we realized that it was a motor or a fan that was making a "Boom, boom, boom, boom" noise. The staff was very nice. The pool was clean and decent.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Becky K

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are always taking steps to improve our hotel and services. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stay at this hotel usually once a year. We really had no problems at all but it needs some superficial work. Pros: friendly staff, comfortable beds, spacious rooms (did the king bed with sofa pull-out), nice pool/sitting area (pool is a little small), pretty good buffet breakfast (worth it if you can get it free or discounted).

Cons: it was overrun with softball teams (and we were one of them so I get that but it was crazy) - elevators were incredibly slow - so slow we took the stairs (luckily we were on the 2nd floor or we couldn't have done that - we would literally wait that long and gave up), showers did not drain well - by the time I was done with my shower (pretty quick shower) water was above my ankles, and there mas what appeared to be mold (black stuff) around the bathtub drain.

Would I stay here again?? If the price was drastically lowered.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristi A

I hope you enjoyed your time in Des Moines for the softball tournament. We are always looking for areas to improve our hotel and services. You requests have been noted for future renovations. Thank you for choosing Sheraton!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Contrary to the previous reviewers, I found this hotel and the staff to perfectly fine. The room was clean and quiet, and the staff were not only courteous and efficient but went out of their way to be helpful to me (am I nicer to the staff?) in particular when there the delay for a taxi to a mall was long, they arranged for the complementary shuttle to take me there instead. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business travellers.

Room Tip: There was a nice view of the sunrise from 703, which I expect can be seen from any room on the highe...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is ideal bc it is rather close to many restaurants and near a mall. The club lounge is excellent-Probably one of the better ones that I have visited. About half the staff were under trained and had very low customer service skills. I was told by a staff member days before that the shuttle started at 5am, but when I arrived I learned that the shuttle service would not begin until 6am. So, I requested a taxi service in the morning for 4:30am (I decided to take an earlier flight out of Des Moines). The front desk called me a few hours later and asked if I could split a cab and I said "sure."

When I went to check out about a quarter after 4am, I found out that the cab and the person who I was set to split it with had left for the airport. At that point, I asked the front desk clerk how I could get to the airport. I then had to become angry bc the night front desk clerk kept stuffing his envelopes so nonchalantly about the situation. He immediately got on the phone and tried to call a cab company for me, BUT thankfully another guest had booked a taxi (Front desk wasnt aware of) at 4:45am. The other guest agreed to split the cab with me so I was able to make my flight out of Des Moines. The front desk staff's attitude toward the situation is what really bothered me the most- It was as if he didnt care and missing my flight wasn't his concern even though I responsibly let another guest split my original cab.

When I finally got to the airport, United Cab charged both me and the other guest separately. The total toll was $33, so the cab driver charge us EACH that amount for the ride! I contacted the manager at the Sheraton Des Moines and they apologized for the entire situation and awarded me 4k points for the issues and I definately appreciated it. All in all, I probably wouldn't stay at the hotel again due to all the inconveniences of nearly missing my flight due to a lack of planning and logistics from the front desk.

I am a Gold member with Sheraton, so I enjoy the hotel chain's overall services and amenities. I just simply think that this specific hotel does not grasp the overall customer service concept and bc avid travelers like myself have other choices in the area, I will probably stay elsewhere when in Des Moines.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank K P
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

I am very sorry to hear about your situation with the cab service. Unfortunately, we do not have control over the cabs with the exception of preferred status. We have spoken with this company about their policy of charging each guest the appropriate portion of the fare. They have assured they will abide by this request.

Thank you for your comments and we hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our hospitality.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel was adequate. A bit dated but adequate. The conference facilities were fine. My problems started with getting the hotel shuttle from the airport, ended with the hotel shuttle to the airport with many many service hiccups in between. I don't know if I have the energy but I know I don't have the time to list the customer service lapses. Most of the individuals were nice enough (except for the snark I got from the brunch receptionist.). None of the things in themselves were terrible (minor annoyances; partial answers; inadequate information; wrong information - seriously how is it that noone seems to know when the shuttle runs? On the hour - ha! And is it ever appropriate to call a woman in a suit "young lady?' I'm 45 or godsake). I don't have the time or desire to explain all of it - it's a perfectly adequate hotel - but if you ask the staff any questions you must be as specific as possible including all contingencies. For example - don't ask "Is there a drug store nearby?" Ask "Is there any place that sells -insert item- within walking distance of this hotel." Do not ask "Is the buffet still open?" Instead ask - "Can I still get breakfast in the restaurant - insert time." Believe me the left out specific information in those questions (both of which I asked) resulted in me spending a lot of money I didn't have to and not getting breakfast when I could have ordered off the menu. Only two such examples...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank C001

Thank you for your feed. We take pride in ensuring each of our guests have a great stay and we apologize for not making this the best stay possible. We will continue to work diligently to surpass our guests expectations.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

They didn't honor our reservations and know I am at a junk hotel and it is miserable. The service is terrible and the point is this place is terrible. I will never stay at a Shereton ever, ever again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Tman_825

I am sorry about your stay, please reach out to us directly so we can better understand your situation.