“No problems but getting run down”

Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stay at this hotel usually once a year. We really had no problems at all but it needs some superficial work. Pros: friendly staff, comfortable beds, spacious rooms (did the king bed with sofa pull-out), nice pool/sitting area (pool is a little small), pretty good buffet breakfast (worth it if you can get it free or discounted).

Cons: it was overrun with softball teams (and we were one of them so I get that but it was crazy) - elevators were incredibly slow - so slow we took the stairs (luckily we were on the 2nd floor or we couldn't have done that - we would literally wait that long and gave up), showers did not drain well - by the time I was done with my shower (pretty quick shower) water was above my ankles, and there mas what appeared to be mold (black stuff) around the bathtub drain.

Would I stay here again?? If the price was drastically lowered.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristi A
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

I hope you enjoyed your time in Des Moines for the softball tournament. We are always looking for areas to improve our hotel and services. You requests have been noted for future renovations. Thank you for choosing Sheraton!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Contrary to the previous reviewers, I found this hotel and the staff to perfectly fine. The room was clean and quiet, and the staff were not only courteous and efficient but went out of their way to be helpful to me (am I nicer to the staff?) in particular when there the delay for a taxi to a mall was long, they arranged for the complementary shuttle to take me there instead. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business travellers.

Room Tip: There was a nice view of the sunrise from 703, which I expect can be seen from any room on the highe...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is ideal bc it is rather close to many restaurants and near a mall. The club lounge is excellent-Probably one of the better ones that I have visited. About half the staff were under trained and had very low customer service skills. I was told by a staff member days before that the shuttle started at 5am, but when I arrived I learned that the shuttle service would not begin until 6am. So, I requested a taxi service in the morning for 4:30am (I decided to take an earlier flight out of Des Moines). The front desk called me a few hours later and asked if I could split a cab and I said "sure."

When I went to check out about a quarter after 4am, I found out that the cab and the person who I was set to split it with had left for the airport. At that point, I asked the front desk clerk how I could get to the airport. I then had to become angry bc the night front desk clerk kept stuffing his envelopes so nonchalantly about the situation. He immediately got on the phone and tried to call a cab company for me, BUT thankfully another guest had booked a taxi (Front desk wasnt aware of) at 4:45am. The other guest agreed to split the cab with me so I was able to make my flight out of Des Moines. The front desk staff's attitude toward the situation is what really bothered me the most- It was as if he didnt care and missing my flight wasn't his concern even though I responsibly let another guest split my original cab.

When I finally got to the airport, United Cab charged both me and the other guest separately. The total toll was $33, so the cab driver charge us EACH that amount for the ride! I contacted the manager at the Sheraton Des Moines and they apologized for the entire situation and awarded me 4k points for the issues and I definately appreciated it. All in all, I probably wouldn't stay at the hotel again due to all the inconveniences of nearly missing my flight due to a lack of planning and logistics from the front desk.

I am a Gold member with Sheraton, so I enjoy the hotel chain's overall services and amenities. I just simply think that this specific hotel does not grasp the overall customer service concept and bc avid travelers like myself have other choices in the area, I will probably stay elsewhere when in Des Moines.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank K P
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

I am very sorry to hear about your situation with the cab service. Unfortunately, we do not have control over the cabs with the exception of preferred status. We have spoken with this company about their policy of charging each guest the appropriate portion of the fare. They have assured they will abide by this request.

Thank you for your comments and we hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our hospitality.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel was adequate. A bit dated but adequate. The conference facilities were fine. My problems started with getting the hotel shuttle from the airport, ended with the hotel shuttle to the airport with many many service hiccups in between. I don't know if I have the energy but I know I don't have the time to list the customer service lapses. Most of the individuals were nice enough (except for the snark I got from the brunch receptionist.). None of the things in themselves were terrible (minor annoyances; partial answers; inadequate information; wrong information - seriously how is it that noone seems to know when the shuttle runs? On the hour - ha! And is it ever appropriate to call a woman in a suit "young lady?' I'm 45 or godsake). I don't have the time or desire to explain all of it - it's a perfectly adequate hotel - but if you ask the staff any questions you must be as specific as possible including all contingencies. For example - don't ask "Is there a drug store nearby?" Ask "Is there any place that sells -insert item- within walking distance of this hotel." Do not ask "Is the buffet still open?" Instead ask - "Can I still get breakfast in the restaurant - insert time." Believe me the left out specific information in those questions (both of which I asked) resulted in me spending a lot of money I didn't have to and not getting breakfast when I could have ordered off the menu. Only two such examples...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank C001

Thank you for your feed. We take pride in ensuring each of our guests have a great stay and we apologize for not making this the best stay possible. We will continue to work diligently to surpass our guests expectations.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

They didn't honor our reservations and know I am at a junk hotel and it is miserable. The service is terrible and the point is this place is terrible. I will never stay at a Shereton ever, ever again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Tman_825

I am sorry about your stay, please reach out to us directly so we can better understand your situation.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The facility was okay, maybe a little dated. The service was the worst I have ever gotten anywhere. I am a frequent traveler, and I understand anyone can have a bad day, but the front desk folks were just plain rude and almost hostile. Look for a different hotel, there are many others in the area. You won't be satisfied with your stay here. I expected so much more when I choose the Sheration brand. Huge disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Loves2Laugh1965
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel was almost exactly what expected, maybe slightly below....

My first room was on the 2nd floor and smelled like a musky smoke. The staff was very nice, though a bit overwhelmed, and moved me to the 6th floor. This room smelled fine and was decently appointed. They have appointed the rooms with decently new furniture but the public spaces still look like a 1975 Embassy Suites and smell like a clean YMCA.

The location was ideal for my meeting so the hotel was perfect, based on location. I am sure I could have travelled a bit further and stayed in a HI or HGI the Sheraton was fine

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business