“Nice property but lacking in amenities”

Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
“Nice property but lacking in amenities”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this Sheraton for a ball tournament with friends. Nice property however, 1) beds are true full size beds- not queen 2) if you are an early bird and want the morning breakfast, the don't serve until 7am - not even coffee and 3) the thermostat didn't work and our room was terribly warm to sleep in. Overall a clean and well decorated, newer property but several issues were a disappointment.

• Stayed April 2013
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments. I appreciate your concerns with the coffee service and will talk to our Food and Beverage department about changing our hours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I am reading some of the reviews here and don't get it. This is a great Sheraton property. Our room was of good size and most importantly, it was mint. The furniture looks like its well maintained and the hotel in general seems also well kept. Staff was courteous at both check-in and check-out and Mike, the shuttle driver was nice as well. We ordered room service for breakfast and the young lady was also super friendly (and our breakfast was great).

I would return to the Sheraton West Des Moines anytime.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed March 29, 2013

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the Sheraton in Clayton, MO and had one of the best stays I have ever had. So, when Hotwire booked me into this Sheraton, I was excited. The stay was adequate.

The hotel itself looks like it used to be an Embassy Suites. Not sure though. Check in was fine. The room was fine except for a weird musty smell. I couldn't tell if it was coming from the room or from the waterfall. Everything seemed clean and attractive. The biggest issue was the late night noise coming from people running on the floor above and the big party happening in the lobby. Upon check out, I was charged for internet that I did not use. I did get a refund, but it took over two weeks.

During our last night there, there was a blizzard and we couldn't go home. I asked the front desk to help me out with a decent rate, but they wouldn't go below $126, so my wife and I went elsewhere and found a better hotel for $60 down the street.

We ordered breakfast from room service. The food was great, but the cost was ridiculous. I couldn't believe the surcharge!

Room Tip: You can't get away from the noise, so I would go for the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I came to Des Moines for a memorial service. I received an early check-in which allowed me to travel in my shlumpy clothes and change at the hotel. The staff were friendly. The rooms were clean. The beds and linens were nice. The restaurant was adequate. The pool was a little cold, but upon request the temperature was raised. My daughter loved of the glass elevators and waterfall. Overall it was a nice stay. I would stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stay at this hotel on a semi-regular basis because it is close to the office I am based out of. It is a nice hotel with good folks working there. They are responsive when there is a problem and the restaurant is more than adequate. The rooms are.....rooms. Nothing special, but there are decent and always clean. Last time I was there there was an alarm of some sort as I was trying to get to bed. Still don't know what it was about.

They did just recently finish a major overhaul on thier fitness room - very nice and alot of good equipment now. The meeting rooms could use some updating and some of the sleeping rooms as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We value your opinion and suggestions, we look forward to seeing you again
Muscatine, Iowa
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Pros: my kids enjoyed the waterfall in the atrium as well as the elevators that overlooked the center of the hotel.
Cons: the beds were not very comfortable & had crunchy bedding, the shower head needed to be replaced, long hair found on a clean towel, and the sofa was very stiff & had an odd scent.

We stayed here while visiting with family and had it not been for the unique qualities of the atrium style lobby, I wouldn't have been very impressed.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank midwestraveller
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sheraton! I have addressed your issue with Housekeeping. I can assure you this is an isolated situation and apologize for the incident. Your comments are greatly appreciated as we continually strive to exceed our guests' expectations. We are glad your children enjoyed their time here and we look forward to hearing feedback on your next stay with us.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in good location to basic shopping and places to eat. Room is above average on the club level. The service and options in club was very good. Small issues were a long hair found on one of the pillows and towels. Also room service didn't follow directions 100 percent. Internet was a little slower than other places I have stayed. Overall average but needs to work on the details.

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Des Moines
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
West Des Moines Marriott
West Des Moines Marriott
#6 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#1 of 22 in West Des Moines
Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#14 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel? Share your experiences!