“Outstanding Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Omaha, Nebraska
“Outstanding Hotel”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located, just off I-80. The public space is welcoming and comfortable. It is spotless throughout. My room was spacious and comfortable -- bedding was premium. Staff were outstanding as well, very courteous and extremely helpful. Room service food was served hot and in shorter time than estimated; pickup of the tray was prompt as well. I didn't use pool/gym etc. but I'd guess they would be in good shape as well. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I work for the airlines so I'm in all kinds of hotels and I sure can rip and tear one apart...but I really can't find anything big wrong with this place....except that my tissue box only had like 3 tissues in it and there is a burn mark on the carpet (looks like an iron mark). No big deal! Otherwise I almost feel like I'm in a resort when I'm in my room...and I don't like being in a hotel room for very long. But I'm actually enjoying just vegging out in mine.

My bed was very comfortable, everything looks clean. It has all the amenities I need...and the buffet was excellent! Everyone here is extremely friendly and nice from the front desk, to housekeeping, to the omelet maker and food service people!! There is shopping down the road, so if you're a walker and a shopper like me you'll like that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I did not pick the hotel. We were there for a Debate Tournament. I was very apprehensive after ready previous reviews. Our experience was excellent! The rooms were clean, well equipped and comfortable. The front desk staff could not have been more helpful! The food was excellent. It actually reminded me of a nicer hotel in London.
So often for the children's activities we stay in new "family friendly" hotels. This was more elegant.

Room Tip: The bedding was first rate. If you can get on the 10th floor, the breakfast was very good and the lo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed November 24, 2012

While traveling on a business trip I experinced a one night stay at this location. This was absolutely terrible. They were experinceing some sort of sewer problem in the area which made many of the rooms having a smell that would knock you over. We had to ask for other rooms which they found in another area of the hte and they were slighlty less odorless but still not fully acceptable. The hall way carpets are very stained and in fact probably hold some odor as well. We were hosting a large group meeting and the main room for such was also poor. It had stained and wrinlkled carpet, and it had an odor that was quite offensive. This appears to be a converted embassy suite property which does not appear to be updated and certainly not up to the usual Sheraton brand standards.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank for for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our guest comments are a very important in improving our services. We have addressed each issue with our Department Managers and staff. Please visit us again; our improvements are sure to show you a better hotel and a truer picture of our hospitality.
Sioux City
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel was very accomadating in every aspect except the restaurant/bar area. We were there for a dance convention, and waited 2.5 hours 1st night for food. My daughter didn't get to eat before her class. 2nd night waited 30 min. for a glass of wine. The set up for the restaurant is terrible, the kitchen is very far away from where the tables are and they don't staff enough for weekends. I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A really nice hotel. I saw a bunch of negative reviews and was surprised by how nice the hotel and room were. Fresh and clean, and overall a wonderful place. Everything appears new. I'm really glad I stayed here.

Stayed November 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay!
Newton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I am really struggling with some of the positive reviews I see here. I am really not a complainer but this one was bad. I was here for a conference and to say my room, and those of several of my co-workers smelled bad is an understatement. They were unbearable. Horrible mold smell that they attempted to cover up with some spray that just made it worse. They moved me to a different rom that just smelled musty but you could actually breathe in it. The toilet did however run all night and the bathroom sink didn't drain. The meeting room was a problem for some of our equipment and it too smelled very bad. By the time of the meeting the smell had gotten better but still not a great room. The hotel looks to have been an Embassy Suites at one point and it is VERY dated. Carpets in the hallways are very stained, etc.

The breakfast served was very bad as well.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton West Des Moines. We take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the problems with your guestrooom and meeting room and I hope you addressed it with the front desk, so we could have the opportunity to make it right. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.

Sincerely, D. Withrow, GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Des Moines
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#1 of 22 in West Des Moines
West Des Moines Marriott
#6 of 22 in West Des Moines
Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive

Been to Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel? Share your experiences!