“Good location! Great service! Check in was long”

Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed March 17, 2012

When I got the there they line to check in was very long and very oddly placed. The way the building was designed was almost like they never thought there would be a line to check in. The rooms were very clean which is number one on my list of importance when I stay at any hotel. The buffet they have in the morning is fantastic with an omelet station. They staff was very friendly. Over I would stay here again, but I always Priceline my rooms so I have to give them credit for always putting me in a nice room and sticking to there standards, they keep there word when you select what you want from a hotel.

Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Staff were cordial and prompt. Decor of lobby lovely. Rwstaurant under construction, so limited menu. Room spacious and clean. Irritated by lack of information on tv use and cost for pay-per-view with no way to exit transaction. I was looking to watch a prime time on demand rerun, and was told there was a charge for the rental a d no way to exit. The price was not listed, except for on the checkout receipt. I would not have chosen to watch the movie had price been made aware before clicking on movie. Love and learn. Check out simple. Relatively close to expressway. No free breakfast on weekends.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I am a frequent business traveler to the West Des Moines area for business and have been staying at the Sheraton for the past 6 months. This hotel has all the benefits of most hotels in the area, but what makes them stand out is the customer service. The folks at the front desk are exceptional, and really welcome you when you arrive and continue to take care of you during your stay.

On this last stay, when I arrived at my room I noticed that the air conditioning was not functioning normally, and I called down to the front desk to get the situation corrected. The hotel manager Bob Walton treated me like family and moved me to another room (upgrade to a suite) at no additional charge, because he really gets the term "Customer Service".

The Sheraton has a top notch gym, with all brand new equipment and a very nice indoor pool that always seems to be full with people all throughout the year.

My favorite part of the hotel is the Bar/Restaurant that is always full with people, good conversation and really good food. One thing I would improve on is to start featuring daily specials that would mix up the menu a bit. (Food is really good, trust me I am of Italian decent, and I love food)..

Overall, the service is exceptional, the food and hotel are very welcoming, and when you have folks like Bob Walton taking care of you, your in for an amazing stay!

Room Tip: Get the Suite, its very spacious!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much, I assumed the hotel would be fine but wasn't expecting anything special...I was immediately proven wrong! The rooms are modern and updated with granite counter tops, comfy down bedding and Starbucks coffee. My room is huge, there's a king size bed, a large desk and a couch and since I'm here for a week I appreciate the space to spread out and settle in. The internet connection isn't free but it's reasonable and very fast. The food is delicious and room service is very prompt. Also the fitness facility is outstanding. Sometimes hotels neglect their excercise equipment but their treadmills were nicer than the ones at my home gym! The gym even had stability balls, bands, free weights, a water station, etc. it's top notch. And last, I cannot say enough good things about the staff, their customer service is excellent. They were extremely helpful upon check in and had someone at my room in less than 2 minutes when I called because my key had stopped working. Jonathan at the front desk is the best! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Des Moines.

Room Tip: This hotel has glass elevators and the floors lookout to the lobby below, so if you're afraid of...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2012

For the record, I wasn't at the hotel very long as I check in pretty late. The hotel from the outside and inside looked nice. Good location off of highway. The main thing that was not good for me as the hotel kitchen is under construction to make improvements. That meant no food at the bar or room service. Not sure how long this will be going on but I wished I would have paid attention or known this before staying.

The club level room was good with couch and chair. Bed was comfortable and seemed clean. The club level lounge does close at 10pm which I was able to sneak in to get a bottled water and soda. The bathroom was your typical size and did offer some additional ammenities. The bathroom floors are starting to show some age.

I would stay here again but not until the kitchen is ready to serve food.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I hadn't planned on stopping in Des Moines, but bad weather forced us to stop for the night. The desk staff was very friendly, as was all of the staff we encountered. Our room was beautifully maintained, clean (a huge pet peeve of mine) and quiet. I never heard the neighbors, which is hard to find in a hotel.

I travel through Des Moines/West Des Moines several times a year and I will now be staying at this Sheraton for my stays. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sweepergrl
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Just a one night visit to the area for a football game. We booked through the www.spg.com website, getting a good rate for a full service hotel. Think in terms of an Embassy Suites, rooms on the outside with a large floor to ceiling area in the middle. The noise from the atrium wasn't noticeable up on the 8th floor, but I think that if you were on a lower floor, it could be an issue. The room was nice but the bathroom was extremely small, which was typical for the era that the hotel was built. We will stay here again if the price is right, but there are lots of other places available on University that have easier access to your room.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends