“some pluses, a few not-so-good points”

Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We spent 3 nights here during the time of the Iowa state fair, primarily to spend time with family. Traveled with my mom, 2 teenagers & a dog. Rooms were clean, well-maintained, and staff was pleasant & friendly. The air conditioning had a bit of a moldy smell but it was very humid & hot weather & the system may have been strained. Good breakfasts, nice room service, pleasant bar & meeting areas in lobby. Very convenient location near interstates and nice ticket package for the state fair. When making a reservation, they were not entirely clear about their pet policy (specifically that they did not want the pet ever left alone in the room, even with the "do not disturb" sign up and the pet in a kennel). It all worked out ok but that is the kind of detail it is helpful to know ahead of time rather than later, particularly when you call the hotel directly to book and inquire about it in detail at the time of booking. Very pet- friendly otherwise, & kid-friendly with nice pool, good place to walk dog out in back. Had requested a refrigerator for room when making reservation and they had run out, so that was less than ideal with kids & dog & medication requiring refrigeration, but used a cooler with ice instead. Overall, better than average.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank taos

Reviewed September 14, 2007

My family stayed here one night on our way back from Colorado. Overall, the room was comfrotable and clean, the staff was friendly and the price was good for this level hotel.

I'm a big fan of Starwood hotels, and have rarely been disappointed. This hotel is consistent with the high quality standards.

If you're looking for a good place to stay in W. Des Moines that is in convenient location - this is a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank donnyshawn
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My wife and I just spent two wonderful days in this hotel. I was amazed at how clean and well maintained this place was. It is close to downtown Des Moines and real easy to find. The elevators move a little slow, but that didn't ruin my stay. A+ for the breakfast buffet too!! The omlete I had was awesome!! What a bargain!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vmijt
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Two adults and two kids (14 and 10) stayed here in mid-July, 2007. We got the hotel for a great price on Hotwire. Everything was excellent, making the Hotwire price a super deal. The only complaint is lack of free wireless Internet in the rooms (I believe $9.95 per day). Otherwise, everything from check-in to check-out was top-notch. we'll definitely plan on staying here again the next time in Des Moines.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Jon Z
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We recently stayed at the sheraton for a quick one night stay. Room was very clean and and suite was spacious. It was a very beautiful hotel....nice lobby area,etc... Front desk was swamped when we got there but they were very nice. However there were a few sports tournaments in the area and the hotel was the host hotel and they were not prepared for the amount of people checking in. Rooms were not ready at check in time. That was just an observation and did not affect my family, our room was ready on time.
The only down side to this hotel - the elevators. For the number of rooms there are only two elevators that are very slow. I know that sounds like a very petty thing to complain about but it was really bothersome.
Other then the elevators our stay was very enjoyable!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank lindacof
Reviewed June 6, 2007

This hotel is a good stay. I like how it was designed in an open square and a large lobby. It reminded me of my favorite Hyatt hotel. The Sheraton creates a nice balance of an upscale hotel with a down to earth feel, making an enviroment that makes you feel comfortable.

We got a two bedroom suite for really cheap. I used Priceline to reserve a standard room for $50/night. When I got there, I asked to upgrade to a suite, and it was only $20/night extra!
The suite had a refridgerator and microwave in the seperate living area.

This used to be a Holiday Inn. After a lot of remodeling, there weren't any signs of the Holiday inn, but the pool. Their swimming pool was the perfect size for 2-3 people. But it was still too small. There is also a whirlpool and sauna. The pool was open from 5am to midnight, which was good!

The staff was nice and professional. I called down for extra blankets and pillows, 5 minutes later there was someone at my door. I called for new towels in the pool area, somebody came with a cart 10 minutes later. The pool was open until midnight, but I was still swimming, and the security guard asked me when I would be finished because he needed to close down the spa. He let me swim until 2am! How nice of him.

I would come back to this hotel if I were to stay in Des Moines again and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank SLX83
Reviewed May 6, 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton for two nights while in West Des Moines. The king sized bed was very comfortable. The room has been refurbished and is very clean. Maid service was excellent. The bartenders were very friendly and had some good advice on local bars and restaurants to go to. We took a shuttle to nearby restaurant free of cost. They will pick you up before 11:00 pm. Our shuttle driver, Leah, was very nice! The only thing that could be better is if the breakfast buffet was included with the room. The candid traveler photos look exactly like the hotel in person. We didn't eat at the restaurant that is located in the hotel, but the food looked awesome.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple