“Nothing great... a noisy, expensive, multi-leveled Super 8”

West Des Moines Marriott
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Minnesota
“Nothing great... a noisy, expensive, multi-leveled Super 8”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Got this via Priceline for $58.00 which is about right for a hovel of this caliber. Listed price was an asinine $109.00. Basically, an impressive foyer with a Super 8 styled room...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Super easy to get to, off I-80 and close to surrounding restaurants and shopping in immediate vicinity and just south at Jordan Creek mall. Despite the closeness of the interstate, the room was quiet and comfortable, with a fantastic LCD TV. Nice front desk staff. Didn't eat at the hotel, although it smelled delicious walking into the lobby. Would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed one night on during a road trip. I am a Marriott elite frequent guest, and we were treated well. This hotel is a good solid choice. Quiet rooms, fair room rate, comfortable accommodations, good parking, easy access to freeway. Like some other guests my only complaint was the noisy weddings. Hotels need to be careful to keep weddings from disrupting the overnight guests.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Recently stayed one night at this hotel. The decor was old style and needed redecorating. We got a quiet suite on the 8th floor and was given a great rate. Nothing special about this hotel, but the room was clean and comfortable. On the weekend we were there, weddings made the lobby area a noisy place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2009

It was an interesting stay. There were weddings, wedding receptions, and other groups that had to have had decent service, or I at least hoped they did. As a couple, probably dining at slightly different hours than the masses, we didn't experience great service; at least from the food and beverage staff. The first night at the lounge, trying to enjoy a night cap before turning in... the gal that was bartending and apparently "covering" for the on duty bar tender acted as if we weren't there... Even after we tried to strike up conversation. The inviting look of the dining room on a Saturday at 11:30 for lunch decieved us as there was only one person to seat and serve. We must have missed the boat on this because the brunch buffet had just closed and the lunch had technically begun, but obviously not ready. By 12:30, they were ready for the lunch crowd, but sadly we had already been sitting there an hour before they actually paid attention to us. On the other hand, the room was nice and there was a shuttle to/from the airport which was otherwise a $35-40 cab ride.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I tend to stay in a lot of Marriott Brand hotels when traveling both domestic and International, as in general, they have good reliability for rooms and service (and when they don't, I definitely address it on TA).

I have found myself in Des Moines about 4 times over the past three years, needing a one night stay at a hotel. I tried the West Des Moines Marriott the first time I was in the area, three years ago, and have come back now four times in the past three years.

I think this hotel is a hidden gem in the Marriott group. It is not a resort or a place that one might want to spend a week long vacation (unless you tend to like to go to Des Moines for your vacations) but I always find this a great respite after a long day of driving and I tend to have to drive through this area once or twice a year.

During my stay on July 11, the staff at check in was friendly, despite the fact that I was grumpy after having arrived about 10 p.m. after a long day on the road. My room was ready, as requested, on a high floor (the 8th) that was quiet. The extra towels I requested were not in the room but were brought up promptly when I called the front desk.

This hotel always sparkles. Both the rooms and the general areas of the hotel are very well maintained. The carpet never looks worn and the normal traffic patterns never look dirty. I always walk in, as I did this time, and think "oh, thank goodness it still looks as wonderful as I remember." The housekeeping and maintenance staff are doing a great job.

Our room was good sized with the reliable Marriott bedding, with great mattress and pillows. I'm very picky about bathrooms and the bathroom in our room was extremely clean, as was the rest of the room.

I agree with one of the prior posters that Marriott is cutting back on its toiletry amenities and I'd like to see Marriott reverse this trend.

Contrary to a prior poster, I thought the breakfast buffet was quite good and I am generally pretty critical of buffets. The chef made me an omelette (which is part of the buffet) that was perfect and the service was quite good. We did have a few minute wait when we first came down, due to what I assume was a new employee error. After that, we were well taken care of by the wait staff and a manager checked in to see how everything was.

We paid $119 for a romance package, even though we were arriving late and leaving early, as it was a great deal. We received a great room, a bottle of red wine (which we had requested instead of the offered champagne), huge chocolate covered strawberries and breakfast for two. The wine and strawberries did take a little longer than expected to arrive but when I called the front desk they immediately apologized and the matter was resolved right away. The young woman who delivered it was very friendly and also returned to the front desk to bring up a fax that had arrived for us late in the evening.

Overall, this is a great value for the price. Whenever I find myself in West Des Moines, this is a "no brainer" for us, we stay at the West Des Moines Marriott. It provides consistent high quality rooms and service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Broder
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I stayed here by chance as my assistant misbooked this hotel instead of the downtown Des Moines Marriott. This hotel isn't bad. It's got workout facilities, breakfast, decent business resources, internet, etc. But it does miss in a few areas. Service wasn't great (they delivered only half my breakfast and took a while to fix the issue). Marriott has been cutting back on some things ... gone are the mini-bar and some of the bathroom amenities like mouthwash.

Check-in was fast and efficient. Considering I was checking in past midnight, the guy behind the desk was in a pretty good mood, or at least seemed to be. He gave me the rundown on facilities, etc. when I asked and was knowledgeable about the area.

The hotel itself is in decent shape. It's probably been renovated in the past few years. The room is standard Marriott fare. King size bed, good desk with business amenities (internet, plugs for charges and laptop, etc.), good size bathroom, nice sheets and bed. Everything was clean. Annoying is that Marriott has cut back on bathroom amenities ... you know, the little stuff. Used to be that they had mouthwash, spare shaving kit or whatever. That's all disappeared in the last few years. Mini-bar is gone, too. I've noticed that at several Marriotts recently, so it isn't just a West Des Moines thing. Room was quiet and dark at night ... slept very well.

I ordered the standard breakfast service (in-room). It came a little late and incomplete. The woman serving it was friendly enough about it, but took a while to fix the problems. Unfortunately, morning time before meetings is not a good moment to be messing around with details outside of getting ready, so was more annoying than it needed to be.

Other than that, was a fine stay. Like I said, standard Marriott fare. Nothing special, but much much better than say Motel 6, Comfort Inn, etc. If you were picking between this and Courtyard or similar, I'd take the Courtyard unless room service is necessary. You still get the fitness center and standard Marriott room but at a better price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business