“Nice Marriott outrageous prices for a glass of wine”

West Des Moines Marriott
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
“Nice Marriott outrageous prices for a glass of wine”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stopped on the way home from a trip west. Thrilled to see a full service Marriott after a long day on the road. Front desk service was excellent,friendly and welcoming. Room was great exactly what I would expect from the hotel. We were quick to head downstairs for dinner and refreshment. Again friendly service it was resturant week!! However, ordering a glass of wine was a shock!! The prices are out of line anywhere, Chicago, New York ... While it is good $22.00 for a PInot Noir and $16 for a mid price Chardonnay. I couldn't believe it but I had a glass anyway and to add insult to injury the stemware was a laugh if you are going to commit highway robbery at least do it in style!!! Seriously your prices are out of line and as a frequent Marriott customer insulting to your "regular" customers. I hope you will make some changes because the food was very good and the hotel quite nice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Sue B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at West Des Moines Marriott. We’re happy to have had you as our guest, and we’re glad our excellent service and accommodations met your expectations. Your feedback is important to us as guest satisfaction is our number one priority. I will be certain to share your valuable comments with our Food and Beverage Manager in order to make improvements for a more positive experience. We appreciate your patronage and we hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again. Thank you once again for writing.

Lisa Tuller, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed August 12, 2013

A very conveniently located hotel, close to Jordan Creek center which is lovely and has lots of shops and restaurants. The staff are very friendly and helpful, going the extra mile and when we told them we were staying here as part of our honeymoon they brought us champagne and strawberries and make a big fuss which was really kind. Would love to stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
2013MrsH,
Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback on your experience with us at West Des Moines Marriott. We’re happy to have been a part of your honeymoon, and I’m pleased to know our staff made your stay a memorable one with champagne and strawberries as our “Congratulations” to you both. We appreciate your high recommendations of our great hotel, and we hope you and your husband will visit us again soon. Thank you once again for writing.

thankfulmomof3
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed here for just one night while we were in town for an event at the Hy-Vee Conference Center. The hotel in conveniently located close to I-235 and in close proximity to Jordan Creek Mall. There is ample free parking at the hotel and right across the parking lot there is a McDonalds. There are also other restaurants within close proximity of the hotel and this Marriott also has it's own restaurant within the hotel. The inside of the hotel is very nice and modern. The front desk man who checked us in was very nice, helpful and efficient. The pool area was very nice, just the right size and the hot tub was nice as well too. The rooms were spacious with updated decor and the beds were very comfy as well as the pillows! They have really nice Bath and Body Works products in the rooms as well! We were on the second floor and our view was that of a wall, so someone looking for a good view would have been disappointed. We had a package that included breakfast for two adults and two kids under age 12. The breakfast was decent, waffles, oatmeal, breads, fresh fruit, a variety of drinks and made to order omelets. The omelet was okay, but the man making them was a bit on the snippy side as were the waiters and the host and it was not even that busy. We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown another time and they had a made to order omelet station and the cook there was busier ( he was making six at a time vs the three the cook here was making) and he was much nicer than the cook here at the Marriott.

All in all a very nice property that I feel was well worth the money spent!

• Stayed August 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
thankfulmomof3,
We’re happy to have had you as our guest while attending an event at Hy-Vee Conference Center, and we appreciate you writing a review about your experience. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our convenient location and comfortable accommodations well suited for your travels. I sincerely apologize that you did not consistently receive the exceptional customer service that you’ve come to expect from us. I have shared your comments with our team to make improvements inorder to provide a more positive guest experience. We value you as our guest and hope you we have the opportunity to extend our hospitality to you in the near future. Thank you again for writing.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Mesha is the front desk manager and he took care of me from check-in to check out. I lost my company credit card somewhere in-between Seattle and Omaha and upon check in, I was given concierge lounge access and free Internet. He really helped my stress levels (I am just at silver level with marriott). The last morning he even had a coffee for me to-go! Will definitely stay here next time I'm in Des Moines.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Monica M,
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your West Des Moines Marriott experience. It’s wonderful to receive your kind comments about Mesha and his excellent customer service. I’ll be certain to share your complimentary feedback and will recognize him for his outstanding service in easing your stress levels after an unfortunate experience. We enjoyed having you as our guest and we look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for writing.

Kind regards,
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I'm a stickler for consistency, however being consistent was no plus for this hotel stay. We were disappointed from the moment we turned into the parking lot (not even stepping foot inside the hotel) through the next morning.

I booked two rooms, one for me and another one for my parents who were visiting from Alabama. They had a long drive and were very tired. Both are senior citizens and I just cannot believe that the hotel would have inconvenienced us the way that they did.

We had to cut our stay at Adventureland short this day because my father had experienced an issue with his pacemaker. We decided to immediately go to the hotel so that he could rest.

Upon arriving and turning into their parking lot, we immediately noticed that some type of event was going on in their parking lot. There were a bunch of old cars. I have no problem with these types of events, but perhaps they don't belong at a hotel with a small parking lot. We had two cars, two senior citizens and lots of bags and yet it was difficult to locate two parking spots. I dropped off my parents at the door of the lobby but then I had to then park each car separately one at a time. Not only were there old cars taking up parking spaces, but there were trucks and trailers that carried the cars there and there were people “camping out” in some of the empty spaces with their lawn chairs. I eventually found two spots way in the back, far away from the hotel lobby. I then had to make several trips to get out luggage to the rooms.
The rooms were fine. Standard Marriott rooms. I absolutely love the lamps next to the beds. I would love to have a couple for myself, however the $325 (each) price tag is too expensive for my budget.

The next morning the consistency continued. We had pre-ordered room service for breakfast. It arrived on-time which was great because we were on a tight schedule. However the food, for the most part, was uneatable. My first bite into the scrambled eggs and I encountered a foreign object. I’m not sure what it was. I had to spit it out in the trash can and I just could not eat any more. I did enjoy the bacon and toast.

My parent’s room lacked any bathroom towels. This really affected our schedule.

Overall, the hotel was consistent. Too bad it was such a negative experience. I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times previously and did not experience such a negative experience as this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
chasquad,
Thank you for sharing a review. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. These details definitely do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your stay. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The service was outstanding! Morgan checked me in and was so attentive and has outstanding customer service skills. He is a great representative for Marriott! I had an opportunity to observe him with another customer and he was just as attentive- very impressive! I was also very impressed with the food and service during our meetings here. I would definitely recommend this location for future meetings and stays.

• Stayed August 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Shannate1,
Thank you for your review and high recommendations of West Des Moines Marriott. We’re happy to hear of your pleasant stay and appreciation of our attentive staff. I’ll be certain to pass along your kind comments to Morgan and will also recognize him with a special commendation for his outstanding customer service. We work hard on offering excellent customer service by having a team of genuine and dedicated associates. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We researched hotels in the West Des Moines area and the Marriott was the least expensive, so that was the reason we selected this property. Our room was nice and the bed was fine, but I didn't like not having a refridgerator in the room. The entire staff however was extremely friendly and regardless of who it was or if you were coming or going, everyone cheerfully and sincerely greated you with some positive comment. They did have a resturant, so there was no complimentary breakfast bar, but the cost of the room was so much less, it didn't matter as much as there was a McDonalds and Perkins adjacent to the property in case you didn't want to spend $13.99 for the buffet breakfast. I would likely stay here again upon a return to the area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor to avoid the lobby and resturant noise...