“Ehhh....it was okay” 4 of 5 stars

West Des Moines Marriott
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in West Des Moines
“Ehhh....it was okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed with a group of 35 people for a soccer tourney. They put a $50 a night charge on our debit card....huh? Ridiculous! Restaurant host was rude. Gentleman at desk was very friendly. Overpriced in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Jodicamp916,
Thank you for your feedback. We value your business and appreciate you staying with us. We're pleased to have had you and your group stay with us, and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It's a big chain hotel in an inner-ring suburb, and pretty much what you'd expect.

No real complaints about my room, which was clean and comfortable. The wireless internet had an annoying habit of dropping out for a minute or two at a time, which, if you're traveling on business and need to upload large files, turns out to be a big problem.

Breakfast buffet was standard fare, and some mornings it wasn't particularly hot - not worth the $13 or $14 they charged for it. But the dinner options at their in-house restaurant were surprisingly tasty, for hotel fare. I was impressed.

Well-equipped gym with free weights and new cardio equipment, though there was a strange fungal smell in the hallway leading to the gym area. No laundry service on weekends, and during my stay their coin-op dryer was out of order, too.

All in all, though, for the rates they offer, it's a decent value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
glcarlstrom,
Thank you for your review. We enjoyed having you as our guest. I'm glad you liked your room, and particularly glad you had a nice dining experience at our restaurant. I apologize for the dryer being out of order at the time of your stay, and hope this didn't cause too much inconvenience for you. We welcome you to come and stay with us again the next time you visit the Des Moines area.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

On May 15, 2012, I wrote a review for a recent stay at the Marriott, in West Des Moines. At the time I wrote this review, I also emailed the Marriott, West Des Moines. Within a few days, I received a telephone call from the hotel management. After a discussion about the problems I encountered during my stay, the hotel sent me a gift card good for a stay at a Marriott. We used this gift card this past weekend at a Marriott in Ankeny, IA and thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the accommodations.

Thank you Marriott.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BeverlyLR
BeverlyLR,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased you were able to use your gift card and have an enjoyable weekend. Best wishes.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel was in a very convenient spot. Very close to all freeways and it only took 20 min to get to my daughters apartment! It was very upscale and clean. Housekeeping did an excellent job! The gym was perfect, even had three machines that I already use, so it made for a great work-out :) Had one disappointment, but the front desk took care of it immediately :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Icareaboutyou1,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a delightful review about your stay with us. We're glad you found us to be a convenient location for your trips to see your daughter. I'm pleased to know you got some good workouts in while visiting too. We hope you'll come and see us again soon.
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We chose to stay here for our one year anniversary. There are a lot of restaurants and things to do in the area so it was a great choice. The checking in process was great and the room was extremely neat and clean. We had a jacuzzi suite which included a romance package, that unfortunately was non existing. We ordered it 2 hours ahead of time and after waiting 30 minutes after the requested time, I called to see what the holdup was. The clerk apologized and I assumed she would then have it sent up, still never received it all night. I was disappointed because this was a romantic weekend for our anniversary; not to mention we were paying for it. I addressed the issue with Ericka in the morning after a wonderful breakfast. She apologized and compensated us. All in all I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
sid8705,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at West Des Moines Marriott Hotel. We're pleased you chose to stay with us and had a pleasant visit. I apologize for the great mix up in not getting the romance package to you during your stay. I'm glad Ericka was able to work with you on this disappointing situation, and appreciate your recognition of her best efforts to keep you a satisfied guest. We would love for you to come and visit us again. Congratulations on your one year anniversary.
Ottumwa, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family recently stayed at the Marriott West Des Moines. This hotel has been newly renovated. The room was very nice. There is a shuttle available to the mall for a small fee. There is a lobby bar and also a restaurant on the property. There was a charge for breakfast, which was our only disappointment.

Room Tip: Be sure specify that you desire two beds. We had requested two beds. When we arrived, there were o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Traveler13333,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at West Des Moines Marriott Hotel. We're very pleased you and your family stayed with us. I'm glad you liked our facility and found your room to be very nice. I hope you all enjoyed our surrounding area as well. We hope you will come and visit us again soon.
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I'm really torn on how to rate this hotel.

When we tried to check in, the young lady helping us tried to put us in a king room on a lower floor rather than two doubles on the concierge level we reserved. She claimed that they don't EVER guarantee the bedding type and it's always what's available at check in. I explained that my wife, two kids and I will not fit into a king bed. She said she would be happy to give us a list of other hotels in Des Moines that could accommodate us.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, and he backed up what she said. I then asked to speak to the GM. I ended up waiting 15 minutes to talk to her.

When she came out, I explained the issue and also explained that we were part of a group that had reserved 16 rooms on the Concierge level for the weekend. I explained that while I was waiting, I talked to several other members of the group who all said their reservations were honored with the correct bedding. After 10 minutes of searching, she did get us a room with two beds, but not on the Concierge level.

If it were not for the professionalism of the GM (she did admit that it was their fault for overbooking double rooms), I would have given the hotel 1* for the lack of service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank KCTrvlOftn
ConcordHospitality, Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
KCTrvlOftn,
Thank you for your review. We greatly value your business and appreciate you choosing West Des Moines Marriott Hotel. I'm grateful for your recognition of our best attempt to properly accomodate you and your family during your stay with us. I apologize for your check-in experience not being a pleasurable one, and hope this incident did not take away from you having a great time with your group. We cordially invite you to come and stay with us again as we ensure a more positive experience.