“Great Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Jenison, Michigan
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

After staying in our first Drury Inn a few days before our stay here, we knew we would be looking for a Drury Inn. We did not go wrong! As soon as you walk in, you are greeted with a very clean and large lobby! They have an indoor/outdoor pool that would be fun especially if you had kids along! The free Happy Hour with free hot foods (chicken tenders, baked potatoes, mac and cheese, salad, chili) was great! We didn't even have to go out for supper! The breakfast was pretty good, too!

Room Tip: Nice quiet room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this property on at least 6 occasions and it has always been good. I tend to get the queen suite every time, as I did this trip. With 2 queen beds in one room and a pull out sofa in the other it makes for a large space comfortable for our girls trips. There is no door dividing the two areas, only a kitchenette and bathroom. I used a AAA discount and our room was still $197 with taxes. This was quite a bit higher than most trips. I have another trip already booked and it is $20 cheaper for the same nights. No event going on in DSM so I was surprised. The managers reception is a nice touch for "bar type" snacks. We skipped it this trip. Breakfast is plenty and was stocked and hot. We asked for an extra hour for a late checkout and it was granted for no charge. Front desk staff was friendly. Room was clean. There was however a little inconvenience at check in, no water in the whole hotel. Not sure how long it was out but it was back on within an hour of check in. I understand things happen. We were given an apology. Will stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here solely on the recommendation of tripadvisor. There aren't any higher scale hotels in West Des Moines so I thought I would give Drury a try. I'm not the kind of person to ever leave a bad review because I can always find the good out of anything. But to sum up my experience the best I can I will just say that it was awful. I'm not sure if people are lying in their reviews or what, but I saw something majorly different they most of them. The walls especially at the ends of the hallways were dirty and gross. The tall male at the counter was horribly rude and checked me in to the wrong kind of room. After jumping through a bunch of hoops to get to the correct room, that room had several things broken and it looked as though a hammer had been taken to the TV stand. The towel rack in the bathroom appeared broken and there was hair in the bathtub. I tried to pull the desk away from the wall to the bed as I do in every other hotel I've ever stayed in and the cords were velcro strapped. I undid the straps but they were still zip tied underneath the straps? I could not move the desk. The food is super convenient to have at the hotel but is very cheap and some of the "hot" food wasn't. The breakfast guy was more interested in talking to the guests then actually filling the depleted food line. The girl during the food at night seemed to have a major bad attitude. The drinks they promote that they offer are tiny and their ads are very misleading on it. I had a dog jump on me in the elevator while I was in my suit on the way to work in the morning leaving me covered in fur. Several reviews talk about HBO but it wasn't even working when i stayed, and the free wifi was spotty at best. I'm sorry for leaving this review, but I, nor will anyone from my company, stay here again as they all had similar experiences.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank David A
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites West Des Moines, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
On behalf of Management and our entire team, thank you for choosing to stay at the Drury Inn & Suites West Des Moines, IA. We truly value your business. Feedback is very important to us and I am very gracious that you took the time to share your experience at our hotel. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as we use your comments to help improve our product and services. I was sorry to read that you felt our hotel was not what you expected. It is unfortunate that we were unable to speak with you at the hotel during your stay. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional quality at a great value. We at Drury believe the extras should not be extra. We offer complimentary hot breakfast buffet and evening reception, and free wireless internet access throughout the entire building, not just in the lobby.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor and we will take your review under serious consideration as to where we can improve and be better with our Service for you and future guests.

Kim B.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

When traveling you can almost always count on Drury, particularly their newer properties like this one in West Des Moines. Our stay was perfect-no surprises, just a quiet stay at a top flight property. Drury offers nice perks of a solid hot breakfast and freebies in the evenings. Very nice hotel at a good price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tripmandu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We travel a lot for dog shows, travel writing, and photography jobs and like to stay at the Drury (and related) hotels. I like the pet policy, the hot breakfast and the evening snacks and beverages. (Although we rarely seem to make it in time for the evening events at any of the hotels.)

This trip was for a dog show at the Iowa State Fairgrounds and this was our first stay at this particular Drury property. We like to stay closer to the show site in February because there is always a pretty good chance of ice happening, but this time we were in West Des Moines.

The staff we encountered was pleasant and fairly accommodating. We weren't able to eat breakfast on the weekend because it doesn't start early enough -- wish I would have known that ahead. They offered toast and donuts if we wanted to do that, but unfortunately those are not options that worked for anyone in the group so we ended up buying breakfast at the dog show.

The rooms are good size, and they come with a coffee maker as well as a microwave and small refrigerator. That is always a nice group of options so you can shop for healthier food while on the road and have a place to store it and heat something up.

Television was a flat screen and was fairly large. Downside was someone ran into a transformer and knocked out the cable in this and all the surrounding hotels. At least we had power and the phones worked.

There were multiple tournaments and shows in the area on this weekend so there were lots of youngsters running around. The hotel had a quiet at 10PM rule in place and it seemed like that was pretty effective. The pool looked nice and had an option to swim into the outdoors which looked like fun. The pool was always packed and well-used. I didn't try it so can't speak to how it felt or the amenities.

Our room had a really, really slow draining sink and tub. We also could not get the room temperature below 78-degrees even with turning off the heat. Windows don't open so the room was unbearably HOT. Upside, the hotel took notes about the issues and was in contact after the trip.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I like this chain and one iffy experience doesn't wreck it for me. I might avoid the hotel when it is heavily booked in case there were room issues again. If there aren't rooms to move to, you get what you get.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RileyRants
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

The rooms are large and well lit and the bathroom was one of the best in my hotel staying experience. HBO is part of a great TV package. Clean rooms and hallways. Very nice gathering area with flat screen and fireplace. Excellent free breakfast with many choices. Good happy hour and a pool your children will love. It is an indoor/outdoor pool that allows swimmers to go under a wall to swim in the heated pool...even in winter. While the weather kept us in the hotel there are a number of restaurants and bars nearby. Also close to a Target and a Hy-Vee if you need something you forgot at home.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Arrived just as they were shutting down Happy Hour. The person at the front desk told us that if we hurried we could get 3 Happy Hour Drinks so we hurried. The front desk person told us there was a Wrestling Meet in town and that there were a lot of kids, but they had written confirmations from the coaches that everyone would be in bed by 10.

Sounded great to us we got our free drinks and a couple of hot dogs and went to our room. Everything was perfect the price, the room, the bed, the towels and even the breakfast the next morning.

The unfortunate event was that some kid pulled the fire alarm at 2:00 AM in the morning and every room had to be evacuated. Every young girl showed up downstairs with some mention of something pink. The false alarm was handled well by the hotel.

Would stay there again and would stay at their other locations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple