“Very rude manager” 2 of 5 bubbles

Drury Inn & Suites West Des Moines
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
“Very rude manager”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

The manager of this hotel has treated me poorly on several occassions, the hotel location is good and the value of the hotel is good but the rude manager and poor customer service decreases the rating by two stars the reservations line has screwed up our reservations week after week. My advise stay at the Holliday Inn right up the road simular price with a much nicer hotel and there is bar/restaurant attached.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Joe S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

This place is worth every penny. I was driving from Wichita to Minneapolis with my black Lab, a trip I usually make in one (long) shot, but on this particular day I didn't want to drive the 11+ hours, and Des Moines seemed like the logical place to stop. A quick canvas of other hotel reviews on Yelp provided lackluster results, so I went with this Drury because the chain almost always allows dogs and because it was in the right place (right off I-35). I was delighted to find a large, sparkling-clean, friendly hotel in the midst of an upscale shopping center--I was able to replace a missing Mac Airbook cord and a suitcase within an hour! and get exactly the dinner I wanted too. The staff was extremely friendly, and even though there was a huge softball tournament staying at the hotel, mostly consisting of pre-teen girls, the walls were thick enough that I slept like the proverbial baby. Free, fast wi-fi. Clean updated room. Great restaurants, boutiques, salons, coffee shops within walking distance--everything you could want. Including the free hot breakfast Drury is known for, better than most, and 3 free drinks from 5:30 - 7!

Dog owners, BONUS: a dog bakery also within walking distance!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jenna92
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

One of the nicest hotels that I have been in for a while and I stay in quite a few hotels. Very clean and upscale decorating. Nice perks also...free drinks, free pop and popcorn, free breakfast. Great location. You will like.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank furpie69
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at this Drury location as a single person with a dog. I am typically a Hilton person, but none of the Hilton's in the area allow dogs. That said, it's fabulous that the Drury is dog friendly, but it wasn't the quietest experience for a single traveler wanting a quiet weekend. The hotel was PACKED with families with children. They offer an impressive full breakfast and dinner reception with food and drinks (including 2 free alcoholic beverages). Free popcorn and soda until 10pm and a great fitness center. If I had children, it would have been heaven. You can feed your family breakfast and dinner for free. I stayed in an oversized king suite, which was spacious and included a refrigerator, but the layout was a bit awkward. It's divided into two separate rooms, and I prefer more of one large room studio layout. The bathroom was spacious and included body wash, shampoo and conditioner dispenser.

The area couldn't be better for West Des Moines. It's in the heart of the Jordan Creek area with all of the shopping and restaurants you could possibly want.

I struggle with this review because overall the hotel was fine...very clean and had everything I needed. I just didn't feel at home given the layout of the room, and the packed screaming kids everywhere were a bit much. Overall, it was a decent stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Tremendous location, very nice rooms, nice hotel amenities, friendly staff. Need I say more?

Stayed July 2012
Centerville, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stay at the Drury when we travel to West Des Moines because it is so clean, has awesome FREE breakfast and appetizers, and the rooms are so large. It's become our favorite hotel in West Des Moines. The breakfast is great! Hot coffee, orange juice, hot food, fresh fruit, waffles...the list is long! And the free appetizers were great for our boys who needed a little something to eat before our late meal.
The pool area is very clean and large also. The boys loved the pool, because they could swim under a wall and they were outside. Very fun!
The rooms are very roomy and clean!! We will stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank luv4bigreds
Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was looking for a hotel in the Des Moines area while driving cross-country. My 14 y.o. daughter begged me not to stay in another economy hotel, and I decided to indulge her with a 2 room suite. She opted to sleep on the sofa-bed, which wasn't as comfortable as the two queen beds, but she didn't need to share with anybody else.

There were no surprises at this hotel, and that's a good thing. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. There were two TVs in our suite. The bed was comfortable. There was a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker.

This hotel room included a nice hot breakfast: eggs, sausage, french toast, biscuits & gravy, fresh fruit. It was comparable to what you'd get a a hotel that charges $10 or more per person for a breakfast buffet.

I understand that in the evening there is hot food and cocktails available at no charge, but we weren't able to take advantage of that because we arrived too late (it ends at 7:00 pm). There are plenty of nearby restaurants, though.

The air conditioning worked fine - it was a hundred degrees Fahrenheit when we arrived, but the room was plenty cool. The walls were good, and we were never disturbed by noise from neighboring rooms, even though the hotel was quite busy.

The pool was very nice, but rather small. It is partially indoors and partially outdoors. There was more chlorine in it than usual, which burned my eyes. I didn't take advantage of the exercise room, but it seemed to have the basics: treadmill, stationary bike, stair climber.

The only thing I didn't like was that in our room on the 4th floor, there were floodlights that shown in towards the hotel. Fortunately, the blackout blinds were able to keep the light out.

On balance, I felt that although the $150/night room rate (including tax) was not cheap, it represented good value. If we had been able to take advantage of the evening food & beverages, it would have been a very good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family