“Not #1”

Mi Patria Ecuadorian Restaurant
Cuisines: Latin, Ecuadorean, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Council Bluffs, Iowa
“Not #1”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've noticed Mi Patria Ecuadorian Restaurant has been rated #1 restaurant in West Des Moines on Tripadvisor for some time. We try to get into Des Moines a couple times a year to meet up with our daughter & other relatives. We usually pick a restaurant in West Des Moines because it's closer for us. Yesterday we tried Mi Patria for lunch. I'm surprised it's rated #1. The first thing I noticed was a seafood type smell when we walked in the door. My impression is that it's pretty much a fast food establishment; inexpensive tables and chairs, no table clothes, hardly any decorations. The food is also the quality of a fast food establishment. The server was nice and it's always fun to try different ethnic food. My daughter said her dish was good. My husband's sandwich was rated ok. I had the buffet so I could try several different items-interesting, but nothing I'd go back to try again.

• Visited June 2013

NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unassuming Gem in the Midwest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

In a word, excellent. I was searching for a meal that wasn't meat, potatoes, and canned tomato sauce, which is kind of difficult for someone to find who's not from the area (I'm from NJ). This place is hidden in a strip mall behind a Hooters, but everyone should hear about it! The waitress was extremely attentive and friendly. Most importantly, the food was fresh and delicious. I had the tortilla de verde con ensalada de criolla which was fantastic. The ensalada de criolla was a fresh, bright contrast to the rich plaintain and beef tostones that it sat on. For an entree I ordered the arroz con pollo which was chock full of fresh vegetables, cilantro, and juicy chicken, and came with yummy fried plantains. Unfortunately I was so full after the tortillas that I could hardly eat any! Their homemade salsa picante was wonderfully surprising as well, full of peas and cilantro. My bill only came to $20 which included a Tecate! My only regret is that I didn't bring a second stomach with me. If I'm ever back in the area, this will be my first stop. I really can't rave enough.

• Visited April 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Flavorful and extremely delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

My first time at this restaurant. I read the reviews and had to try. It was delicious and very flavorful. The service was perfect. Will go back again soon.

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!! So much food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Upon walking in the door the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. The service is prompt and friendly. Our food came out fast and was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I probably could have had enough leftovers for two lunches if I hadnt been so hungry! Next time we will do the platter with three meats and other yummies! This time I had carne asada which was easily the best I have had in a long time! My boyfriend had something with pork which was fork tender and also delicious. I would recommend stopping by for a great meal!

Des Moines, Iowa
“Explore a little with lunch buffet or friends at dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great opportunity to try a new ethnic cuisine for many people! The lunch buffet and guidance from the friendly staff make for an easy introduction to this cuisine. The menu offers some great items and it is fun to go with friends and share, so you can sample more variety. The chef makes a variety of ceviche (marinated fish or seafood) that is definitely worth a try (and hard to find in this area). Fear not, over all the food is not spicy, but the chef makes his own hot sauce that you can ask for and add to taste. Go, explore a little, it's a great opportunity to expand your horizons! Owned by a nice local family that is happy to introduce you some of their cuisine.

Visited September 2012