“Excellent stay”

Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed October 14, 2013

What a wonderful hotel. Our room was clean and quiet. I loved that the king bed was adjustable bed for personal firmness or softness for both sides. The breakfast was fabulous. Right across the street from the mall and restaurants. We will stay here again when passing through Des Moines. The staff was very friendly.

Stayed: October 2013
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines

Reviewed October 13, 2013

100% smoke free, no pets allowed.
In a new area of town, lots of modern shops & stores.
Breakfast: typical HGI, very good.
Bathtub had slippery bottom & sloped toward drain, bathroom small & had décor similar to 90's Hampton Inns, except for granite counter top.
Air beds set on med/high were OK.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a girlfriends weekend in Des Moines and stayed at this hotel. Staff was very nice, rooms large and nicely decorated, very clean. The pool and hot tub area was great for all ages. We really enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I rarely give an excellent rating but this hotel deserved it. Our reservation was in perfect order when we arrived for two nights, and I had asked for a quiet room in advance and we were placed on the top floor of the new addition and it was indeed very quiet with a great view of Jordan Creek. Our room was outfitted with state of the art coffee maker, frig, microwave, very large flat screen TV and a comfortable King bed that had adjustments on the side to make softer or firmer. They are a bit hard to locate and I had to ask the front desk. all of the lighting in the room was top notch. We were surprised not to find a radio in the room, and the remote TV channel selections were slow in changing from one stating to another.

The bathroom was marble counter with fluffy towels, and a stall shower with a tall shower head for this 6'7' guy and a wonderful assortment of adjustments on the shower head for a relaxing experience. The hotel has a restaurant for breakfast and dinner so we had dinner there that evening. We were the only people there, but I think that is because there are so many restaurants near by, but our service was prompt and the food excellent. Our waiter and host was also the bar keeper, but he knew how to serve well.

The next morning we had the breakfast buffet there too, and that was also equally good. All of the food tasted fresh and had wonderful flavor, and the drinks were included in the 8.95 price - and if you did not like the egg dish prepared, they will make you your eggs to order.

Then it was off to the pool and the spa. Both were great and my wife and I had a wonderful time. Although the spa timer only has ten minutes on it. Most places I stay at have at least 20 minutes so you don't have to get out as often to turn it back on. There was also a large separate pool just for children.

Later we used the work out center. Some of the machines did not work, and the TV's on them were hard to use too with no sound at all. I finally found one treadmill that worked, but the other one seemed to be broken as was the stationary bike, and the radio music in the room was kind of loud so I had to turn up the flat screen really loud. But there were towels for our use, and cold water to drink too.

The front desk folks were so helpful, especially Robin. She helped us on several occasions giving us directions and printing up movie schedules etc. All parking is close to the hotel and very well lit at night. And the hotel is neat and clean and nicely landscaped too. And the AARP price was incredible along with my Hilton Honors, was fantastic - for all you get, I will definitely stay here in the future when traveling to Des Moines, Iowa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor of the new addition.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Up to snuff Hilton quality in service, facilities and friendliness. Actually above par service and friendliness. Room was great. Large, clean and comfortable bed. Everything you'd expect. Breakfast is pretty high quality: made to order eggs, a wide variety in a buffet with abundant service. Cost is $9. Decent coffee too with real half and half (I hate the ordered stuff). Now, the downside, it is way west in west Des Moines. Very suburban strip mall/mall environment. Getting around is easy but if you want to eat or drink someplace that is not a national chain you are 15 minutes in the car. Many people wouldn't object to thins and there are lots of chain options in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Half of the hotel is brand new, ask for those rooms. No loud streets anywhere nearby to avoid.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Not sure what's currently happening at this location. Appears they are in the middle of finishing or renovating on the ground floor. I got upgraded to a jacuzzi suite, but the jacuzzi was not working. I didn't complain since I wasn't expecting the perk. The room had a setup like that of one at Embassy Suites, which I really like. Good stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I called to see if they had any king size bed rooms available which is what me and my husband always stay in for short stays. The lady who answered the phone did a loud sigh as if I was bothering her by asking then informed me there were only queen suites avaible for 189. In a rude flat tone. My husband then called back to express his concern about the person who was rude he asked to speak to a manager where he was told he was to busy to answer the phone and that. They were to busy in general as if he was trying to down play it. He then told my husband that there were more rooms available than what she said. I would have happily booked a more expensive room as I normally stay in a suite if its over 2 days however, with the rudeness oh the phone I drove 45 miles out of my way to stay elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2013