“Quaint Shops”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Quaint Shops”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you are looking for a classic "small town" main street, check out Valley Junction for a step into the past with the conveniences of today. Fun shopping and good food.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Kevin T

Sedona, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A shoppers delight”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Well, if you have time just to wander and browse then this is a wonderful little place. The boutiques are wonderful for finding something unusual.....pricey but so worth it! There were 8 of us women and those that did not want to shop could lounge in the coffee shop.....however when we caught up with the one that just wanted to lounge - well, she had bought a marvelous children's book!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Margaret H
Ludington, Michigan
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Sweet little old town retreat”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We wandered through the various shops and had lunch at the General Store. It has a great atmosphere and is worth the visit. They don't serve a wide variety but what they do serve is very good.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank David W
Des Moines, Iowa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Old and New.”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Okay, so I grew up in valley junction, ran around the streets during farmers markets, antique street events and the like, so I am biased and will always love valley junction and 5th street, but as an adult now ill do my best to give a straight forward review.

Antiques, art gallerys and new niche stores are nice for browsing, I've purchased items before but on rare occasion. It seems more high end shops are moving in. The theatrical shop was always my favorite, and is still a stop for me at least once a year during Halloween.

The bars on 5th are pretty descent and the tavern is good, haven't tried cafe su. There's also a nice coffee shop. Definitely check out Nan's Nummies.

If you visit on regular days it's nice to just stroll up and down the street. During farmers markets it's more crowded but there's more to see. Street venders with good food and corner musicians as well as a band on the big stage could make for a nice summer evening in the junction.

Growing up one street over I never had to worry about parking, but now I find it is definitely not easy to park during farmers markets. Hopefully you get a spot in a lot.

5th street valley junction is worth a visit to see the shops, and see some of Des Moines history.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank CoolCalmGent
West Des Moines, Iowa
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“We survived the winter and Farmers Markets at the Junction are just around the corner!”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Every time I am there, I see something or find something new. My first visits were on farmers markets Thursdays, last summer. I enjoyed it so much that I helped a friend open her business there.

Visited October 2013