“Extremely Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
South Dakota
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at The Residence Inn with my dog this past weekend, on 6/8/13. My husband and I recently moved and I was driving 1150 miles with our dog to our new home. West Des Moines, IA was the best place to split up the drive. I drove 670 miles on Saturday and was on the road for over twelve hours. When I arrived to check in the staff informed me there was a $100 non-refundable pet charge in addition to my $179 room charge. When I booked the hotel the day prior I checked both Priceline and the Marriott website - there was no mention of a pet charge on either site. It simply reads "pet friendly". I informed the staff that there was no mention of this charge when I booked and they replied with "what do you want to do?". As a young female, traveling alone, 670 miles from anyone I knew, and exhausted after spending the entire day driving, I told them I had no other option. Upon checking out I found that there was a Room Tax and City Tax applied to the Pet Charge in addition to the Room Tax and City Tax applied to the Room Charge.

I am extremely disappointed in Marriott for not being up front with their guests on their website and through the booking process. This is misleading and dishonest. They have lost a customer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kds517
Nocona50266, Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines West at Jordan Creek Town Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry your stay with us was not problem free. Our goal is to always make sure each guest feels welcomed and cared for. Please know we have addressed these issues and have taken the proper actions to prevent this from happening again in the future. I take our guests comments very seriously as they let me know what we are doing well and the areas we have room for improvement. We are reaching out to our third party vendors to make sure they are advising guests that we are pet friendly but that we also require a non-refundable pet deposit of $100 dollars. Again we thank you for bringing this to our attention. When you are in the area please come again and let us show you these issues have been resolved and you experience a wonderful stay.

Nocona Mollendor
Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Hotel has a great patio over looking the Jordan Creek Park and Pond. Very short distant to the Jordan Creek Mall and restaurants. Hotel offers happy hour with wine and beer, Also a light supper. We chose to walk the the near by Pei Wei. Continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Billings, Montana
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I checked into this hotel for business, and was surprised at how nice it is equipped to handle a family. The room has a full kitchen, with a couch and a king bed. Lots of space available in the room. I did find a used kleenex on the floor when I checked in, which is disgusting, but it was hidden under the bed. The rest of the room was clean. The front staff was very friendly. A social hour takes place each night, although it was crowded with business travellers drinking too much. Breakfast is included in the room price, and it is serve-yourself with acceptable food: cold cereal, eggs, ham. Not the best breakfast, but like I said, it's acceptable. I like to exercise when I travel, and the exercise facility is sub-par. One elliptical machine, a couple treadmills, and a couple stationary bikes along with free weights up to 30 lbs. However, only a small little space exists to use the free weights, so if anyone else is in the room with you, you won't be able to use the weights. The pool is nice and clean, however, and would be great with a family. Having travelled to Des Moines for business before, I did like that breakfast is included in the room price; but I do not like the exercise room. The room was clean, but the walls are thin.

Room Tip: As long as you don't have neighbors, it will be quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stay here whenever I can on travel for work. Great hotel, nice rooms, close to lots of shopping and eating places. Great grounds to just walk around and good breakfast. Never had a bad stay. Sometimes their govt rooms are booked and I have to stay elsewhere. hate that!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
midwest
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Stayed in a nice two room suite. Room was very clean. The customer service was decent, breakfast was decent. What I liked most about this hotel was the grounds. It is located in the same parking lot as the Mall and I was able to take my dog on a nice, long walk while listening to music from the mall in the morning and watching the ducks on the small pond. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DSM
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great location for an annual “Girl’s Night Out”. My group of five adult women likes the two bedroom suites. Having two bathrooms works well when five women are getting ready to go out.
We usually get a room on the top floor with a fireplace. When it’s windy, there is a loud banging noise outside that is pretty annoying at night. I’m not sure if it’s because we’re on the top floor or because we’re usually on the South side of the property. We’ve stayed there five times and we’ve noticed the banging noise twice.
Everyone likes the beds so well that the last time we stayed in February 2013, two friends took sheets off the bed to find out what kind they are. The freezer doesn’t make ice unless you push the wire “arm” down toward the ice bucket. We found that out the hard way. We always call for more towels or a roll a way bed when we check in and someone from housekeeping always brings them within a few minutes with a smile.
The breakfast area is pretty small, so on weekends it gets really crowded with families and kids making waffles. There is a fire pit outside the lobby that makes a great gathering place in the evening and they don’t seem to care if you take a bottle of wine out there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors seem to have a banging noise on windy evenings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Residence Inn in West Des Moines, Iowa is an outstanding place to stay for many reasons. For starters, it is right across the parking lot from the impressive Jordan Creek Mall. I enjoy this mall more than any mall in the entire Kansas City area. The Residence Inn is aesthetically pleasing in its design, and I appreciate having doors you can open and close in the one and two bedroom suites. The fully equipped kitchens are also a plus, as are the clean, well maintained suites. Hotel staff members are friendly and helpful. I am an "extra towel" man and they always take my requests seriously. The free breakfasts and dinners, while obviously not gourmet, are of good quality with the exception of the inferior breakfast potatoes. The spaghetti and salad I consumed for dinner were substantially above average. The free wine and draft beer graciously served with dinner added a nice touch.
In closing, I highly recommended this fantastic hotel!

---Dr. Moe