“Great food and service”

Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great food and service”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We arrived a little after 8pm on a Friday and were immediately seated. I wanted a table by the fireplace but a large group was occupying that space. The hostess said that was often the case. Our server arrived promptly. I couldn't decide on the wine so she suggested we sample a few in order to decide. She brought us 3 generous tastes and we made our selection. Nice list of wines by the glass, 1/2 or full carafe. We had the scallops ($21), server suggestion, and the beet salad. The salad listed goat cheese which I do not like. The server happily suggested fresh mozzarella pearls instead. The salad was yummy but I am still daydreaming about the succulent scallops. Presentation was lovely and the scallops were large and incredibly tender. They sat above a very flavorful asparagus risotto that was perfectly cooked, not gummy or sticky or mushy. This dish has changed my perception of scallops. In the past I always thought they were a little tough, lacked flavor and overrated. (my husband is a scallop fanatic) I would eat these daily if I could. We also had bread pudding for dessert. I like bread pudding a lot and this was good but I'm not daydreaming about it.
We were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary and so wanted a romantic dinner. Because we arrived so late, the restaurant was almost empty while we were dining. This made the large room with high ceiling feel too brightly lit and lacking in intimacy. It might have had a different feel if the room was full...or maybe not.
Bottom line: wonderful food, great service, would go back again with friends or family

• Visited November 2012

Clive, Iowa
“First class Italian dining”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Biaggi's is one of my favorite places. It's part of a chain and I've eaten in several locations and all feel like they're a special local spot, with consistently great food and service and a classy atmosphere. Some of my favorite dishes are the chicken cannelloni (pasta with roasted chicken, ricotta and spinach), lasagna bolognese, ziti al forno (shrimp and chicken baked in a lobster cream sauce with Italian cured bacon, carmelized onion and Italian cheese) and the stromboli, which is similar to a pizza but with handmade dough wrapped completely around the toppings. Biaggi's is a great restaurant for a date night, or to catch up with friends and enjoy a glass of wine, share a family meal or entertain business clients. Highly recommended!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Mary Alice H
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Great service and food”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I actually visited from some collegues from Italy, what better praise than the ones who really know (it was a work event, I know it wasn't their choice but they enjoyed it).

Visited October 2012
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Wonderful Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I had a fabulous lunch here. The food was the best Italian food I have had in a long time. The service was great and the environment was very comfortable and relaxing.
The wait time was very reasonable for a busy noon hour.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank JerryD304
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good food and accommodating staff”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I wouldn't usually review a chain restaurant, but our dinner at Biaggi's was unusually good for a chain. We were seated promptly on a very busy Saturday night since they take reservations, unlike many chains. The very young server was quite knowledgeable about the several specials. We were glad she pointed out the wine special as well, both a red and a white wine available in bottles and half-bottles. We chose a half-bottle of red, which was delicious and just the right amount for two. All the food was good, but what particularly impressed us was the care they took with the meal of one of our dining companions. He has multiple food intolerances, and the server listened carefully to his requests, which the kitchen followed exactly. He enjoyed his plate of grilled chicken and gluten-free pasta, and the portion was so large he took much of it home for another meal. My husband enjoyed the chicken piccata special, and another friend and I liked our tasty, traditional Italian pasta meals. We would come here again and would recommend it (and this chain) to anyone with special food needs.

• Visited October 2012