“Surprisingly Great Food at Reasonable Prices”

Johnny's Italian Steakhouse
Ranked #14 of 271 Restaurants in West Des Moines
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Four of us enjoyed food and wine at Johnny's last weekend. It was my first time here while the rest of the family had spoken highly of the restaurant from previous visits. This is a regional chain and this location is in the Holiday Inn in west DesMoines. We started with an excellent red wine and the house salad and bread. I ordered the Filet Oscar with crab cake and asparagus and it was great. Other entrees were the Chanel #5 pasta which was also excellent and the steak and shrimp which was also good. We shared an excellent Tiramisu for dessert. The prices for this high quality steak was unbelievably reasonable. I preferred this meal to a nearby much more expensive steakhouse. Service was good. Ambience is ok .

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The service was very good. I ordered the bone in rib-eye (medium to medium rare and charred). I also ordered a lobster tail.

The steak was raw and barely charred. The server took it back - and brought it back a few minutes later - still VERY rare. He took it and brought it back again - RARE. I ate some of it as I was tired of sending it back. I could tell the server was embarrassed by what the kitchen did. I did keep the lobster tail - it was OVER cooked.

I was with a group so I didn't call a manager, but honestly for a "steak house" they should know better.

Another person at my table ordered it Medium - hers was very rare also - sent it back, still not cooked correctly, but she didn't send it back again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This was one if the best restaurants that we've eaten at in a while - excellent pasta, homemade bread and service. We would definitely go back if in the area.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

4 of us went to Johnny's steakhouse for Mother's day and found the experience to be very nice. The restaurant seating area is divided into several rooms which made it seem much quieter and more intimate. This made it a tiny bit harder to navigate to the food, but it was worth it because we could talk and actually hear each other.

The food was quite varied and everything I tried was very well prepared. There was nothing I saw that was truly exotic, but all the favorites were there; prime rib, pork loin, chicken, pasta, shrimp, salmon, breakfast foods, and tons of desserts. They had a chocolate fountain with many items to be dipped, too.

The restaurant seating area was very clean.

The staff was very polite, attentive, and cheerful.

About the only thing I was disappointed in was that the drinks were not included in the price for the brunch.

I did not have any "real" meal there, just the brunch, so I cannot comment on the menu, or service on a regular day or evening, but based on my visit, I would recommend Johnny's for someone wishing to dine in West Des Moines.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Everything was good..ambiance. The drinks are excellent especially after a long day on the road., Highly recommend to travels and folks who live in DesMoines.