“Expected more.”

Staybridge Suites West Des Moines
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The room was a decent size. The bathroom had mold on the caulk around the tub, the floor tile in the bathroom was missing grout and made noise when you stepped on it. My daughter used the bathroom and the toilet just kept running when it was refilling and flooded the bathroom area. I called the front desk and the "manager" Jessica told me she was the only one there so if I could send someone down to get towels that would be great. She also said she could have someone come look at it in the morning! I cleaned up the mess (just like home) and we decided that if it happened again, we would want to be moved to a different room. The manager did not offer this until I suggested it. Also, the lamp in the bedroom had a short in it and buzzed when we turned it on. We shut it off and it flashed the room twice on it's own so we unplugged it to prevent further issues. We did report this to the front desk upon checkout. Hopefully someone will give room 200 a little tlc. For $140/night I expected a little more in the way of customer service. I could have booked a room on hotwire for $68 but decided I wanted a little nice place -

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Jessica_H_12186, General Manager at Staybridge Suites West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

First I'd like to say that there are currently two people named Jessica - a front desk clerk, who is the person you were speaking to, & myself the General Manager.
I have to apologize because I was never made aware of any of the issues that you had with your room. If I had known I definitely would have spoken to you & done what I could to address the issues to your satisfaction.
We are currently in the process of replacing the flooring in the bathrooms, & we have not had a chance to do the room you were in. We are also re-caulking all bathtubs. I do agree that the lamp with a short could have been a fire hazard & am very grateful that it didn't become something serious.
I would like to assure you that the things you experienced, as well as the staff response is not acceptable. I will definitely address all the issues with maintenance immediately to correct the problems.
I would like to invite you back the next time you're in town - please call me directly & I will be more than happy to discount your room for your stay. If you won't be in the area, please call me at the hotel & I will discuss this with you, & hopefully come to a satisfactory resolution.
Thank you for the review of your stay - I do hope you will give us another chance.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have stayed at this Staybridge many times and have always enjoyed our stay. We were in town for the Drake Relays. It is a relaxing quiet place to stay. We always enjoy a walk around the lake in the morning. The pool is at an excellent temperature and it's always nice to have a hot tub. The breakfast was not as good as usual on this stay. The hotel was full therefore the breakfast area was overflowing with people. It would be great if they would hire more kitchen help. The dear lady who works in the breakfast area was running around in circles trying to keep food selections full but to no avail. I wanted to help her out, I felt so sorry for her. I would hope management would learn from this experiece and hire more help. We had problems with our tv on two different ocassions. When we called the front desk the fix would only be temporary and then we would lose our signal again. The evening meal is excellent! We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick the top floor if you don't want overhead noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your loyalty to the IHG & Staybridge Suites brands. We truly appreciate your kind words..
We do add a staff person or the housekeeping manager will help with breakfast - as well as the maintenance manager. We will definitely have to consider increasing the number we staff during Drake Relays. Thank you for the input.
I do apologize for the TV issues that you encountered during your stays. We called Mediacom a couple of times & on the third time we finally got them to boost our signal last week & we haven't encountered any further TV issues. So the next time you're in town you should have excellent reception.
Thank you again for choosing us as your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you the next time you're in town!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

For a $99 a night charge, this was a good deal. Friendly people, free breakfast, comfortable beds, lots a room. Close to excellent shopping.
Some places in the hotel were in need of repair....pool, hot tub, but over all, nice for the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica_H_12186, General Manager at Staybridge Suites West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Cathy,
On behalf of the staff I'd like to say how happy I am to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to make everyone feel comfortable & relaxed while here. Thank you for your comments on the pool/spa area. We recently re-surfaced the ceiling & re-painted the walls. I will see what else we can do to make it a better area. We hope to see you the next time you're in town.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a week while travelling on business from England. The hotel is excellent with regards to accomadation and amenities, the only thing lacking was an onsite bar. But I'd have to be really harsh to criticize the hotel for that. There are plenty of bars - restaurants within 5 minutes drive.
I travel abroad alot and there is nothing worse than staying away from home, and stuck in a bad hotel with poor staff. But this hotel if definatly not one of those, the accomodation and staff are excellent, and really friendly.
The rooms are a good size and very clean and tidy, thanks to the lovely housekeeping staff. It was great every morning to be greeted by they lovely ladies, with a genuine smile and a hello.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us. My staff & I strive to provide a comfortable, home-like atmosphere, as we know being on the road, away from home isn't always easy & enjoyable.
We look forward to seeing you the next time you're in town.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great hotel with all the amenities that you would need.. Nice pool, hot tub, large rooms..
The breakfast was by far the best I have had at a hotel.. The hotel is in a great location, close to many restaurants and the Jordan creek mall.. About a 10 minute drive to the wells fargo arena..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica_H_12186, General Manager at Staybridge Suites West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience. We appreciate hearing that our guests enjoyed their stay. We do have a great location & look forward to seeing you next time you're in town!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

When we got to our room there was a smell of cigarette smoke present. We called to the front desk and were quickly given another room that did not have any odor. The room was very nicely sized. The Thursday evening meal was an extra special benefit and the breakfast were great. Definitely would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica_H_12186, Manager at Staybridge Suites West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. We value all guest feedback. We have recently converted the smoking rooms to non-smoking - I will have my housekeeping staff go through those rooms again to ensure we've eliminated all smoke odor. We do look forward to seeing you the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has so much more to offer than any standard hotel with a small kitchen facility in the room, a very comfortable large bed, sofa, LCD TV and a nice breakfast facility with daily variety but the evening reception with food and drink was way over expectations for the price. The huge mall with many restaurants and great shopping was also very close. This was our first stay at a Staybridge but certainly won't be our last.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica_H_12186, General Manager at Staybridge Suites West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for choosing Staybridge Suites for your last visit to the area. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, & we look forward to seeing you the next time you're in town!