“Just What I Expected. No More, No Less.”

SpringHill Suites Des Moines West
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed February 17, 2011

The physical plant is standard SpringHill Suites. Nice little sitting room and a smallish bedroom. No restaurant. No bar. No excitement at all. Located several miles West of Des Moines and about 10 miles from DSM. (The Marriott at DSM is less costly and much better run.) There are at least four other Marriott properties within 1/2 miles of this SpringHill Suites. Why there would be any hotels in this suburban desert at all is beyond me.

You will not be surprised at anything about this place....either positively or negatively.

The pricing can vary greatly from night to night. Sometimes $50, sometimes $125.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Dear Winsotn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; we appreciate your comments. We invite you to join us again on your next trip to West Des Moines and enjoy the light refreshments we offer at our weekday evening social.

Best regards,

Jessica Hill, General Manager

Reviewed December 16, 2010

Everything was fine until the morning of our stay. After filling up the whirlpool, we turned it on to find suds and hair come shooting out of the jets. We immediately got out to take a shower only to learn that only cold water was available. When we asked the front desk about it, they indicated that there had been some issues with the water main...I understand that it is out of your control, but why were we not warned about it when we checked in. The whirlpool really makes me question how clean the rest of the room was. I don't think I will still at this Springhill hotel or another again....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
dheinlein, Manager at SpringHill Suites Des Moines West, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2010

Dear Trip2642,

Thank you for your review; I appreciate your comments and hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for your experience in the whirlpool. Please know this is not typical of the level of cleanliness we pride ourselves on providing, and that this is being addressed with the entire housekeeping team, management included. My apologies as well on the water main issues; we were definitely remiss in not making you aware at check in. Please know that this experience is not standard of our hotel, or any other SpringHill Suites or Marriott hotel – I truly hope you will give SpringHill Suites another try in the future. One again, my apologies.

Yours truly,

Jessica Hill, General Manager

Reviewed August 9, 2010

We only stayed here one night and were pleased with the size of the room and the cleanliness. We liked the sitting area, frig and other nice touches. The staff was very courteous and helpful when we were looking for a place to eat dinner. The breakfast buffet was as good as can be expected and met our needs. This is a great place!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I came to this hotel with my partner and some friends for a wedding and didn't have a great experience. While the hotel itself was nice enough, some of the staff members at the front desk were unncessarily abrupt with our entire group. They were very quick to tell us that none of our rooms were ready yet and that they wouldn't be until the 3p check-in time. We were totally okay with that because we wanted to eat lunch anyway, but it was still off-putting because of the way in which it was presented. Additionally, when we were able to check in, the staff was again abrupt and when we got to our room, it was clean, but it had a very unpleasant smell. While I normally would have mentioned this to the staff, I opted not to because of the less-than-great interaction we'd already had with them and the fact that we were only staying there for one night. Aside from that, the hotel had a pretty good free breakfast and free wifi, which are both always nice to have, especially at a $99/night rate.

Despite the issues with the room and the staff, the overall experience was average. I can't say that I would recommend this particular hotel based on my experience, but hopefully this was the exception rather than the norm for this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We had to find a hotel fast on the road because our 9-month old couldn't travel anymore. Location was good - near the highway and the mall. The hot breakfast was good, but not extraordinary. The biggest plus for us was the large size of the suites. Large enough to allow the wife and I to relax, play cards and watch TV while our son got his much needed extra rest.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2010

While not typically a fan of Iowa, this was a very pleasant visit. I was overnight by myself and after being completely exhausted from the day's events, I was happy to comfortably relax in a well-kept, well-decorated and safe area. There were more kids than I usually prefer, but it was a suite-based hotel in the midwest. Overall an excellent choice. If I am ever again in Des Moines, which I am hoping to avoid, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I made a reservation for a two-night stay in a two-queen, one-bedroom suite at the Springhill Suites in West Des Moines. My husband, 3-year-old daughter, 12-year-old son and I were visiting my in-laws in Norwalk for the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. We wanted a separate bedroom and living area so I could put my daughter to bed while the rest of us stayed up. (We knew she'd be tired after spending the day with Grandma and Grandpa!) The Springhill Suites was a bit farther away from my in-laws than we wanted, but it had the separate rooms that we desired, at the most reasonable rate.
After check-in we went to our room and were dismayed to discover that our room was a two-queen handicapped accessible room. It did not have the separate bedroom area that we wanted (and that we'd driven so far to get). My husband went back down to talk to the front desk and was told that there were no two queen, one bedroom suites available. The front desk attendant offered the room for half price, and she also offered us another room, a king suite with a whirlpool tub at no charge. We took her up on the extra room. I stayed in the king suite with my daughter, while my husband and son stayed down the hall in the accessible room. It wasn’t what we'd booked, but it worked out quite well. (In fact, I really enjoyed two nights of soaking in that huge whirlpool tub!). The attitude of the desk attendant impressed me. She actually seemed to care that we were happy. Certainly she didn't have to offer the extra room, but she did. Without it, our stay would have been quite unsatisfactory.
Breakfast both mornings was good. There were egg patties, sausage and cheese to make breakfast sandwiches. Bagels, doughnuts, pastries, hard boiled eggs, a variety of cereals. Waffles you could make. The breakfast attendant did a great job of ensuring there was plenty of food.
The rooms were very clean and the beds soft and comfortable.
The only complaint I have is with the reservation system. The accessible room without a separate bedroom shouldn’t be in the same category as the two-room suites. Hopefully they will fix that problem to avoid situations like ours.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family