“Great stay for a solo traveler. Comfortable. Safe Area. Attentive staff. Good amenities.”

SpringHill Suites Des Moines West
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed March 9, 2010

While not typically a fan of Iowa, this was a very pleasant visit. I was overnight by myself and after being completely exhausted from the day's events, I was happy to comfortably relax in a well-kept, well-decorated and safe area. There were more kids than I usually prefer, but it was a suite-based hotel in the midwest. Overall an excellent choice. If I am ever again in Des Moines, which I am hoping to avoid, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo

Reviewed December 3, 2009

I made a reservation for a two-night stay in a two-queen, one-bedroom suite at the Springhill Suites in West Des Moines. My husband, 3-year-old daughter, 12-year-old son and I were visiting my in-laws in Norwalk for the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. We wanted a separate bedroom and living area so I could put my daughter to bed while the rest of us stayed up. (We knew she'd be tired after spending the day with Grandma and Grandpa!) The Springhill Suites was a bit farther away from my in-laws than we wanted, but it had the separate rooms that we desired, at the most reasonable rate.
After check-in we went to our room and were dismayed to discover that our room was a two-queen handicapped accessible room. It did not have the separate bedroom area that we wanted (and that we'd driven so far to get). My husband went back down to talk to the front desk and was told that there were no two queen, one bedroom suites available. The front desk attendant offered the room for half price, and she also offered us another room, a king suite with a whirlpool tub at no charge. We took her up on the extra room. I stayed in the king suite with my daughter, while my husband and son stayed down the hall in the accessible room. It wasn’t what we'd booked, but it worked out quite well. (In fact, I really enjoyed two nights of soaking in that huge whirlpool tub!). The attitude of the desk attendant impressed me. She actually seemed to care that we were happy. Certainly she didn't have to offer the extra room, but she did. Without it, our stay would have been quite unsatisfactory.
Breakfast both mornings was good. There were egg patties, sausage and cheese to make breakfast sandwiches. Bagels, doughnuts, pastries, hard boiled eggs, a variety of cereals. Waffles you could make. The breakfast attendant did a great job of ensuring there was plenty of food.
The rooms were very clean and the beds soft and comfortable.
The only complaint I have is with the reservation system. The accessible room without a separate bedroom shouldn’t be in the same category as the two-room suites. Hopefully they will fix that problem to avoid situations like ours.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2009

SpringHill Suites is the place to stay in West DM/Jordan Creek area. The hotel has been remoldeled and is very well maintained. Rooms are siuites with separate sitting area, flat sceen TV's and kitchenette with microwave and fridge. The pool and hot tub were nice and complementary hot breakfast was more than adequate. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Its the special touches that count like assisting with recommendations in the area and free candy for the kids in the loby. There are many options in the area but this is truely the best.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2009

My sister has multiple sclerosis and she and I had been looking forward to a mini vacation in the Des Moines area for several months.

When we checked in, I noticed a foul odor near the elevator that remained during our stay. The nightmare really began on the second night of our stay. We returned to our room at about 10:30 pm. The room hadn't been made up from the night before and the desk clerk did the best he could with a bad situation.

The sheets he used were under sized and would not stay on the bed. My sister was extremely fatigued and to avoid sleeping on a bare mattress tried sleep sitting on her scooter. It was a sleepless night and there was "no way" we could enjoy the next day.

To protect my sister's health we had to cut our trip short and headed home early. We were told there would be no charges for the room. (There was a pending charge for an incorrect amount on my credit card.) I left a couple messages for the hotel's manager to contact me. At this time, I haven't heard from the manager.

I've stayed at Marriot Hotels in the past without a problem. Now, I'm skeptical about staying at Marriot hotels in the future. I'm waiting to see how SpringHill handles my situation.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Recently had a business trip and was booked for a 5 night stay at this hotel. Staff was accommodating and friendly, rooms were very clean, spacious and up to date with furniture and electronics.

Only complaint, the hotel is somewhat close to the interstate so I could hear the distant traffic at night when trying to sleep. Nothing too bad, but was certainly noticeable.

Located within a few blocks of a nice mall (Jordan Creek Mall) and several restaurants such as Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Bravo, On the Border, and several more.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2008

This was my first time staying at a Springhill Suites, although I have stayed t many different Marriot properties.

The Springhill Suites was very clean & comfortable with plenty of amenities.

The rooms were large - full "living room" including a refrigerator, microwave, breakfast bar, sofa, flat screen TV. The bedroom was also a good size with a flat screen TV. The bathroom was nothing special.........

They served a full breakfast in the AM, and in the afternoon had a chips, salsa, chex mis, cookie bar. They always had fresh coffee & hot tea available in the lobby.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Hotel and room were nice as expected. Always great staff at marriott properties.

My only criticism of many newer lower end Marriott properties is the quality of construction. The tile in the bathroom looks like a do-it-yourself installation job rather than professional. You can see many unfinished trim sections in various parts of the hotel. Otherwise, no real issues. I just think that Marriott should hold itself to a higher standard in this area as they do with customer service and quality in most higher end Marriott hotels.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family