“Weird venue”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Weird venue”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I did not like that it was a huge ballroom. It felt very much like a scene from a high school dance in an eighty's movie. The sound was a little goofy and the place looked empty in spite of probably 500 attendees.

Visited May 2013

Algona, Iowa
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Concert”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good venue for concert. Beverages were expensive! Parking seemed limited, but more parking across the street.

Visited July 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Past meets Present”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Val Air Ballroom has been around for years and years. An old structure thats withheld the hands of time still holds concerts and various musicians have entertained within these walls. Not a huge hall and the ventilation system needs to be revamped for large crowds. A fun atmosphere and the locals who organize the shows do a really good job of it.

Mason City, Iowa, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“YUCK!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I don't get why people have put 5 stars.....have they actually been to this place? This place is absolutely disgusting. The place was really outdated I have never been to a place in such disrepair. The bathrooms were the worst part....they were absolutely disgusting. I think out of four sinks only one was working properly and all of the hand dryers were broken so you had to wait to use the towel dispenser.
I felt it was a total waste of my money....the sound in there was TERRIBLE. I have never been to a venue that sounded that bad. This place needs to have some major repairs and remodeling done before I will ever go back again....I don't care who is playing. I guess I will take my money to minnesota's venues since they are in the same driving distance for me and are way better. I think it is really sad because Iowa needs to have a nice venue but this is not it. I still can't believe that some of the big headliners even want to play at this place.

On the positive side....I do have to say I felt safe with the security they had there. They did pat downs and made you empty your pockets out before you were able to enter. After all the crazy stuff going on now a days I am glad they do that.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank RiverCity29
“Seether”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Once again great show. I love taking my kids to shows here. We will ne back for the lamb of god show. I enjoy the shows it would be great if half way thru the show you turn the air on. It does it awful hot in the crowd. Also wish you would let us keep the lids for our water. Once we get in the crowd we don't come out. Other than that its a great place to see shows