“I've had better”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Waverly
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

As a business traveler, I've come to expect certain hotels to maintain different levels of quality. I also understand you get what you pay for.
This hotel is the exception. I would not recommend this to anyone.

So try not to be a negative Nelly, I'll start off by telling about the good. When I checked in, I was greeted by one of the happiest employees I've ever met. She was quick, courteous and in good spirits. That's where it ended.

As I got into my room, I was startled to find a twin bed. I did not know this was an option at any hotel chain. The room decor was straight out of the early 90s. And the remote control was filthy. I didn't going to the bathroom until later need new and when I did, I noticed that the sink had crusty tooth paste, and a clogged drain. The toilet paper holder was also empty

I called the front desk express my displeasure with the room, and was told that that was the only room they had for the night. Too tired to drive, I ended up sleeping in my clothes out of the covers as I didn't know if the room had been cleaned it all.

When I checked out, I was greeted by a woman who didn't want to be at work at all. She was grumpy, very unfriendly, and didn't seem to care about how my experience was with their hotel. I will not be back.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
responder, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Jbailiff,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback of your stay with us. We regret that your stay with us was not a positive one but we will address every issue that you have brought to our attention. In an ongoing effort to improve our guest experience, we strive to provide all hotel information online to our guests at time of reservation and also confirmation is sent to your email address with same information for your review. We have Double size beds and King beds only at this location. We are working to improve our room decor and recently, month ago we have change new bedding and mattresses. We are following with the Comfort Inn brand standards. There are some room types such as Accessible. Accessible room type has one double size bed with different bathroom style for ADA compliance. Again, the management thanks you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had our family members stay at Comfort Inn Waverly IA. for the home comming event.The scheduled trip was for two days and we were paying for our guest, but trip lasted more than inticipated at this point we asked management if we could get a better rate for our guest. Management gave us a discounted rate for another two days and that was just awesome and we got it. We had some more time to spent togather and stay was memorable. Such a nice impression and hotel and service we got was tremendously great.Very accomodating hotel, room was great and updated.You won our hearts. You will be our number one for every time we need a hotel stay.Thank You.

Room Tip: Entire hotel is clean and updated.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you Saadia K for your review. I'am always excited to hear that we are the first choice in the area.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

RUN, RUN FAST! My first question is if a hotel accepts dogs or has dog friendly rooms. The answer was yes. I spoke to the woman about what type of dogs I have (boxers who weighed around 65 pounds). I received an email stating that my dogs with size was accepted and fine. However... once we arrived an entirely new person was at the desk and within the first moments of check in they asked if we wanted to go to another hotel for our dogs. When I asked about a room with a higher toilet (theirs were barely a foot off the floor) what the woman at the front desk told me to do was leave the hotel and was rude about it. She then went on a barrage about our dogs not scratching the doors there. I explained my dogs would not do so. Then they stated that our dogs could not be left alone in the room at all. Which is impractical when you are over 1400 miles away in a hotel room with your dogs and you need to be able to get food. We did not leave, however. I told her I'd think about all she had to say and hung up on the obnoxious and rude woman! She actually called me back to be even more rude. Was completely shocked at her behavior. The third call came from a male manager, at least such was his claim. Though he was no more helpful than the woman at the desk! I was up there to visit an ailing grandmother and this is what I had to deal with. To top it off the beds are standard beds (supposedly) but generally around 6 inches wider than a single bed. Hard for two grown adults to sleep together so my husband and I had to sleep in the separate beds. The pillows were a joke. I have never in my life seen anything like them. They were a 12 inch by 12 inch cube and did little to cushion your head. I noticed a moldy smell from the air/heat unit and after checking the filter myself noticed they haven't been cleaned in at least a year or two. The room was stuffy, no one had turned on any air previous to our arrival and it was 80 degrees outside, so I went to open the window in the room. Which opened easily, but I immediately noticed that there was a locking mechanism that was actually broken on the window. Being on the main floor, anyone could have popped the screen out and opened the window to our room and came in. The plus side? There was a microwave, the bad... it's so small not even the popcorn they sell in the vending machine can fit into them and pop! There was a coffee pot for the morning, but it had dark hairs in it and some char and some mold. Not worth scrubbing out to use. Near the ending machine, dead roaches. Though I suppose it was better they were dead and not alive. Which made it pleasant to consider eating out of said vending machines! All in all... I wouldn't rate it a half a star or of 10. If I hadn't had so very little time up there to spend with an ailing grandparent, I'd have gone elsewhere. It's a shame that the first woman on the phone wasn't the manager and in charge of the hotel as I believe the experience might have been much better. We didn't see her until we checked out. She was pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jesy_S
responder, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Jesy,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback of your stay with us. We regret that your stay with us was not a positive one but we will address every issue that you have brought to our attention. In an ongoing effort to improve our guest experience, we strive to provide all hotel policies to our guests at check in to avoid misunderstandings thereafter. Again, the management thanks you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We visit Waverly twice a year for the horse sale and have been staying at this hotel for several years. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Having stayed at hotels all over the country, this hotel rates high for cleanliness and customer service.Staff is always extremely friendly and accommadating. We've always enjoyed the continental breakfast which has a good selection and a nice size dining area. I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Teri, Thank you for letting us know about your stay.
I am very happy to hear that your room was clean and you like the breakfast etc. We have always enjoyed you and your family staying with us.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My stay here was very pleasant. From check-in, the lobby is inviting and the front desk was polite and fast. I wanted to make sure I was away from any smoke. The Guest Associate informed me that the ENTIRE hotel had been converted to non-smoking and had been thoroughly cleaned. I was very happy! The room was great. It was clean and met my expectations. The hotel features a very nice pool area and an exercise room. The complimentary breakfast had a decent selection, a definite plus as it saved me the hassle of leaving for breakfast when I was trying to start my day.

I will stay again. Clean. Smoke-Free, and inviting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We pride our selfs on being welcoming all of our guest and they family and friends. I am glad that you have notice changes and like pool and breakfast etc. we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We come to town to visit family frequently. The staff is always very accommodating and friendly. We noticed since our last stay to this one they have gotten brand new bedding and I think new mattresses(you can just tell, they are nicer!). Seems like they are always doing something different every few months, so it's nice to see the updates. Not sure why others are saying it's "dated", since it's definitely been updated over the last few years that we've been coming. I will always return to this hotel when I come to town!

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest, It is nice to hear from you and thank you for taking your time to give feed back. We always enjoy having you at our property.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was traveling through Waverly for business and thought it was going to be a decently good place to stay. Boy, was I wrong.

I waited 10 minutes before the front desk attendant showed up to check me in. No apologies for making me wait. Went up to my room only to find the carpet soaking wet. I had my luggage on the ground for no more than 20 minutes and it was wet. I went down to the front desk to let them know and she said they had cleaned the carpets and there really wasn't anything she could do. I told her I should not have to wear my shoes around the hotel for the night and had work to get done, nor should my luggage have to sit on my bed so it doesn't get wet.

I left to get dinner so she could "walk around with her bare feet and see if there is another room that isn't as wet" for me or try and figure something out. I came back and she said she put a fan in my room to help speed the drying process up but I had already made a decision to leave as to when I was walking around the corner and she was talking about me to another employee (who was on the guest computer). Um.. great customer service right there.

Went up to get my stuff to leave and there was a desk fan trying to air out the carpet of the room. With my allergies and work to get done for the evening, I didn't have time to mess around with a tiny fan trying to dry out the carpet.

I left, and there is no way I will ever go back. I understand cleaning carpet in a hotel is important, but why would you clean every single room in the hotel when you know you have people checking in that day!? Seems pretty ridiculous. And if the customer service would have been even half as good, I would have considered staying, but not after I had to listen to the attendant talk about customers in front of other customers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MNTraveler1213

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your survey. As a management team, we will use your feedback as a training opportunity for our staff. With maintenance to our building, we do run into instances where tasks need to be performed while the hotel is occupied. We sincerely regret that our cleaning affected your stay. We will closely monitor our cleaning tasks on an ongoing basis. Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waverly
Cobblestone Inn & Suites Waverly, IA
Super 8 Cedar Falls
Super 8 Cedar Falls
#4 of 14 in Cedar Falls
Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!