“poor customer relations” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Waverly
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“poor customer relations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past 10 years. It has changed either ownership or perhaps just changed which hotel chain it belongs to. It was an AmerInn a few years back. At any rate, I have frequently stayed with the comfort Inn chain and Choice hotels.

I was in Waverly for my mother's funeral a few weeks back. There was some confusion on my reservation, so they were able to help me by moving me to a nonsmoking room with 2 beds instead of a king smoking (why would a hotel even have smoking rooms anymore?). The next morning one of the receptionists called me at 8:30 to ask me to move out of the room, as they needed the room for another guest. I asked them if they really wanted to make me pack-up the room and move one hour before my Mother's funeral. No response, just kept asking me to move. I told her I was getting ready to leave for the funeral and did not have time to repack my belongings. She did not offer any incentive to move. I suspect the receptionist was very young and did not have any negotiation skills. I refused to move and my husband was later able to speak with the manager.
The hotel is a reasonable value, but is starting to look a little dated and needs new mattresses. In the past, I overlooked these things as there are few choices in Waverly. However, management seems to lack sensitivity. I'll not be back. It will also make me rethink staying at the Choice Hotels in general.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank kmax182000
responder, Manager at Comfort Inn Waverly, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your comment about your stay. Here is the real information. This dearly guest had SMOKING room reservation made online, where hotel was not involved in his booking process. When they arrived to the hotel as a good customer service, room was switch to nonsmoking for one night and next day they were supposed to move to different room type and keys was given to them for two nights. Next day hotel was busy and did not have non-smoking rooms available. Front desk agent called to the room next day morning and requested the move. This is where hotel came to know that guest do not want to move so hotel was struggling how to take care of this situation. One of the guests staying at the hotel was noticing this situation so he volunteers to switch his room for his son arriving that day to the room type this guest supposed to move.
When manager arrived, we told this guest to continue staying in this room and situation has been taken care due to generosity of other guest. Thanks to our generous guest for understanding the situation and offering hotel to move his son's reservation.
In this situation, any hotel staff will perform to take care of the guest when guest refuse to follow the agreement and do not cooperate the situation.
We will coach our staff from this situation and will ignore this incident and move with positive attitude.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
perry, ia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Needed a place to stay in Waverly on business. I realize this isn't a brand new property but these people run a decent little hotel. Everything was very clean and they maintain the hotel well. Beds were comfortable and rooms are nice size. Every room has a little fridge and microwave and newer flat screen tv. Pool area was nice with pool, spa, and sauna and again all very clean. Breakfast was good with eggs, sausage, waffles, and the regular fare. Overall a good experience without any problems what more do want in a little town in Iowa.

Room Tip: A great location on the south side of town near a Wal-mart and Applebees.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Waverly, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I found that this Comfort Inn was very clean and friendly. As a member of Choice Privileges we stay at Comfort Inns exclusively. This Comfort Inn ranks as one of the top ones that we have stayed at. I would highly recommend this one to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure the room is clean and on the quiet side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This place is very clean. Rooms are comfortable.Staff is extremely helpful.
Breakfast is good. Pool area nice and clean. We will definitely back and let our friends and family know to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
new york, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I don't understand why some people think that this place is the best hotel ever. The room I was put in (first floor) smell musty, I can hear the next room's TV loud and clear because of thin walls and the bed was too soft (over-used?). I have no choice but to stay....luckily, only for one night!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank missau
, Manager at Comfort Inn Waverly, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
We thank you for your time to post this review and we will look into this information. We will do the best to take care of these concerns.
Montgomery, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I travel, mostly around the upper Midwest, about 150 nights per year for work, and never have I had as poor of a customer service experience as I've just had with the Comfort Inn in Waverly, Iowa. I have a brand new customer in town, so I'd stayed at this location 9 nights in the previous 3 weeks, and have a long term need for a comfortable place to stay when I'm in the area. After staying this amount of time in other similar motels, it's usually very easy to gain a repertoire with the staff, but not here. The typical desk staffer at this location is very reserved and not familiar with their booking/billing system, and it can take them several minutes to complete a task (checking in or out, extending a stay, making future reservations, etc...) most other desk attendants can handle in a mere moment.

I also came to find out that the hotel management gives their desk attendants absolutely no complaint resolution authority whatsoever, and choose to have the hotel managers receive all customer complaints, which isn't all that uncommon, but anywhere else that chooses to carry this policy typically makes sure to have at least an assistant manager on staff in the evenings to handle complaints immediately. This is not the case here.

In my situation, I got a late day call away from my customer and was forced to leave the area for the evening, so I called to cancel my reservation. Unfortunately, I missed the cancellation deadline by an hour and a half - but no big deal, I'd been a regular customer over the past 3 weeks, and there were extenuating circumstances, right? No, not to them - they still charged me their full price for a night I never stayed. After voicing my complaints to a helpless desk attendant, she informed me that I could phone the Comfort Inn corporate customer relations as well as the General Manager the next day. I did both - the corporate customer relations staff could do nothing but phone the hotel directly to petition on my behalf (very helpful, but fruitless...), and the General Manager had no concern for my extenuating circumstances and chose to stick to his policy, rather than retain a customer.

I'll never stay here again, nor will any of my colleagues. I advise you do the same.

It's an unfortunate situation, considering that almost anywhere else that I've ever dealt with would have handled this situation much differently.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank AJS7
, Manager at Comfort Inn Waverly, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
This guest has not said whole truth about his behavior and language, this guest is using very nesty and offensive language becasue he thinks that other human beings are not worth it. He has made staff cry becaue of his language and his behaviour over the phone. I have called choice hotels and let them know about his behaviour and language being used to the front desk staff right from the begining. Customer relation also did not support him becasue of his language. When i spoke with him next day AM, I told him to look for the different location for his future stay because of his abussive language and swearing in every other word.
I also informed him that he could be nice to other human being and i could have work with you and he was mocking me all of my conversation so i concluded call by thanking him with his valuable time and look for other facility. This is very sad that hotel has to go to this extream.
Edinburg, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The whole experience was great! The rooms are clean the pool is nice and indoors! The staff was very friendly and the stay was very comfortable. The location is great near Walmart and several great restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waverly
Cobblestone Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn University Plaza
Clarion Inn University Plaza
#9 of 14 in Cedar Falls
3.5 of 5 stars 114 reviews

Been to Comfort Inn Waverly? Share your experiences!