“Needs a complete renovation. It's dirty and not well kept.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Red Fox Inn

Americas Best Value Red Fox Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Waverly
Merritt Island, Florida
“Needs a complete renovation. It's dirty and not well kept.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Wallpaper hanging off the wall, stained yellow walls, mold growing on the ceiling, dingy, depressing, dated and overall just horrible. So expensive too, nearly $90 a night for this dump.

The bed was cheap, old and uncomfortable. Plus the comforter was not fresh. The ugly thing had hair and old food stuck to it. So gross. The whole room was so depressing. Old 90's TV, faded carpet with furniture and pictures that even the Goodwill wouldn't want.

The bathroom was better than expected though. Tile grout was dirty but everything else was ok.

The swimming pool area did look nice, but it was crowded with screaming children, so we didn't bother using it. The hallways and elevator were dark and dingy. So grimy all over.

The breakfast was not the greatest, not inviting at all. Coffee wasn't good. For this much money a night you'd expect better.

The only nice thing about my stay was the bar next door, adjoining the motel. Had a great band and cheap drinks.

This motel does have friendly staff, it's not their fault it needs updating. It wasn't worth that much money for a few hours. I think until it's upgraded and fixed up, the prices should be lower. It needs flat screens in this day and age!!

WiFi worked great. Fridge and microwave were clean and in good working order.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ABVIREDFOXINN, General Manager at Americas Best Value Red Fox Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
I am curious if you notified the front desk and asked to be shown other rooms that may have met your standards. If we don't know your dissatisfaction during your stay, we are unable to do everything we can to make things right.

With regards to your complaints: We make improvements to the hotel regularly and as often as we can. Recently, we refurnished some of the guest rooms. I have NEVER heard of mold being in ANY guest room, but I will personally investigate your complaint. The comforters are REGULARLY laundered; I assure you of that.

We do our very best to provide the BEST VALUE in Waverly for the price paid. We aim to provide excellent guest service, clean rooms, free wifi/breakfast and the best rates in town for the accommodations (and I think we succeed at that). If there was any part of your stay that you were unhappy with, then I sincerely apologize for that and appreciate you bringing your comments to my attention. We do everything we can to make every guest's stay a pleasant one.

Thank you for taking time to complete a review.

Sincerely yours....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fist of all I do not agree with the previous negative comments. Although the hotel is a bit dated the staffs friendless makes up for it. I had a great experience from calling in and being helped from booking my room, to actual check in. Jake who was working both when I called and showed up knew what he was doing and was a joy to work with. And for my room, their are no complaints. IT WAS A GREAT DEAL FOR THE PRICE. And will for sure be coming back

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ABVIREDFOXINN, General Manager at Americas Best Value Red Fox Inn, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
What a wonderful review. I pass every comment on to our staff; comments such as yours are a pleasure to relay. I'm thrilled to know we are the great pick we strive to be. Thank you for taking time to write a review!
Centennial, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

America’s Best Value Inn & Suites/Red Fox Inn is not only outdated to the point of being aesthetically appalling, it is positively dilapidated. That which was not out rightly broken was in such a state of disrepair that it was a hair’s breadth away from falling apart before our very eyes. Our stay at this establishment can only be described as disturbingly and mind-bogglingly surreal. Our trip up to the room revealed a total disregard for fire code—the door to the stairs was being held open by a knotted extension cord. And while checking in, the manager himself told me the pool was likely to break down without warning, so we’d better get a swim in.

In our room the furniture was visibly faded by decades of use and irrefutably filthy. The sheets were stained by something yellow. Each and every piece of furniture in our $130/night “kitchen suite” was not only completely worn out, but actually wobbling! There wasn’t a single chair in the room (6) that gave one any sense of confidence that if you sat in it you wouldn’t end up on the floor in a matter of seconds. The microwave was about 40 years old and the heater did not work properly; at times spewing icy cold air—to which the manager assured us was how all heaters operate, silly people! There were two concrete-esque beds in the room and one sleeper sofa that was contorted in such a manner that if you actually tried to sleep on it your head was a foot lower than the rest of your body. We spent the night on the 2-inch thick mattress that we pulled onto the floor while our kids slept on stone mattresses in the other room.

The kitchen utensils were broken, the no-stick pans were flaking, there was no dishwasher, which meant the people before us either did or did not wash the silverware by hand (and there was no dish detergent, so you do the math), the internet connection was .59 mbps (normally you need about 1.5 mbps) so we couldn’t use our computers, the ice machine on our floor was broken and in pieces, we were greeted by beetles on the walls, the table almost fell over when we put our food on it, the exhaust fan was perilously hanging out of the ceiling in the bathroom, and the toilet filled and emptied on its own all night long.

But wait, that’s not all. When I opened the curtains the next morning, all of the plastic pieces tentatively holding the curtain onto the rod gave way and went flying all over the floor. Now that the wretched curtain was on the ground, we got our first real illuminated look into this room. There were no fitted sheets on the beds, just flat sheets spread over the mattresses. This allowed us to notice a small red stain the corner of one bed. Upon pulling the mattress up, it was revealed to be quite a large stain: about 2 feet by 1 foot and it was undeniably being hidden—and without a doubt it was BLOOD. It was a lot of blood, too. Not the occasional accident kind of blood. Not the “Oops, I cut my finger!” kind of blood. It was a whole mess of blood. It was so disconcerting that I called the local police department and they are checking into it at this time. The manager refunded our money after I gave him a nightmarish tour of the room he planned to charge us $130 for, but the memory of that stay will haunt us for a long, long time. On the bright side, maybe we helped solve a cold case murder? Who knows?
(DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL….EVER!!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelley C
I think you know how hard this response must be. I think I best sum up with a heartfelt 'I'm sorry.' I truly am sorry you had a bad exoerience. I did the only thing I could which was to refund your money with our apologies. I would be insincere if I said there was no merit to items in your complaint. That room is still "unavailable" as we make improvements. I am working with room attendants so things are caught before the room is available to rent to guests such as yourselves. It was not up to standards. I hope the rest of your trip was uneventful. Thank you for sharing your comments so we may improve. I wish you all the very best.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am away from home in hotels more than I am at home. I am apalled by the hotel and its staff. I was greeted very late by a young man who reeked of marijuana and tried putting me in a room with people that were not in my party, to finally get him to understand who I was with and what I needed. When arriving at my room I found it to be stifling hot with the heat full bore, luckily I was able to open the window. Room was very outdated and smelled faintly of stale cigarettes...even though it was a non-smoking. Sheets are very cheap and covered in hair that was obviously not mine. Fast forward to the next day and after getting to my room again late expecting bed made, linens refreshed, it was very obvious nobody had tended to my room even after I specifically asked.

Long story short, I am disgusted and will not be staying again and will check into a competiting hotel for the next 3 months I am in this area.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Melissa T
ABVIREDFOXINN, General Manager at Americas Best Value Red Fox Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Well, this is certainly a very disappointing review, to say the least. This review definitely has my fullest attention, and I assure you I am looking into each item -- starting with the desk clerk. I checked to see who checked you in, and the young man has been in my employ for years now. I have never encountered any issues such as the ones that you mention, but rest assured I am completing an investigation into the matter. I fully admit that our property needs an update, but cleanliness is not something we negotiate on when striving to offer a value to you. Based on your encounter during check-in, I can see why you were reluctant to contact the front desk for assistance when your sheets were not as they should have been. I also looked into your housekeeping service complaint, and because you stayed with us at a special rate, there was a stipulation that you only receive housekeeping service once per week (with towel replacement and trash removal on a daily basis as requested, of course). Perhaps there was confusion over this policy? Your rate was deeply discounted with the understanding that housekeeping would be limited. I am very sorry if that wasn't made clear during your visit. Needless to say, we fell very short during your stay, and for that I am deeply sorry. I wish there was a way to get you to give us another chance. If you are feeling charitable enough to visit us again, I will personally inspect your room prior to your arrival and check in on you to ensure everything is in proper order -- check-in to check-out. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was stuck in a snow storm and stayed here. My room was dirty. There were cobwebs with bugs hanging in them, hair all over my bathroom, and toenail clippings on the floor. I barely slept the whole night since the bed was dsoo uncomfortable. I told the front desk about these issues when I checked out and they didn't do anything to make things right. Do not stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Starlitlove08
I'm extremely sorry to hear about the issues you had with your room. That is extremely unusual, and I am at a loss. Had you let us know when you got to your room that it was not in proper order, we would have been more than happy to move you to a different room and helped you move your things. Unfortunately, when you don't let us know of a problem until you're checking out, we don't have the opportunity to make it right. I hope you stop in again. We will be more than happy to let you inspect the room prior to moving into it so we know everything is as it should be. I'm very sorry.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Over the holidays, my family all gathered for two-nights at the Red Fox Inn. We were able to book several rooms all next to each other. The hotel is out-dated cosmetically, but we found everything in our room to be in good working order. There was a mini-fridge, microwave, hair dryer, cable TV. Our room was located near the pool-area, but it was very quiet and we slept great. The pool and hot tub were great for the kids. There was also a small bar area with a pool table and video games. We were able to set-up some tables outside the pool area for playing cards and hanging out. Attached to the hotel is a restaurant, which we visited one night and we had pizza delivered the next. The continental breakfast didn't have many options, but no one went hungry. The staff was excellent. When we requested more towels or pillows they were happy to help us. Overall, the hotel does need some updating but we would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
These types of responses make my day! Thank you so much. Please allow us to serve you the next time you're in the Waverly area!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is incredibly dated and not very clean. However, the price was very affordable and the staff at the hotel were nice. The price and the staff would not be enough to make me stay there again though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ABVIREDFOXINN, General Manager at Americas Best Value Red Fox Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. While I strive to make every guest a satisfied one, some things are unfortunately beyond my control. We are an older property, but we maintain every room and ensure that you get a great rate. I'm glad the staff treated you well! I do hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waverly
Comfort Inn Waverly
Clarion Inn University Plaza
#9 of 14 in Cedar Falls
Days Inn Cedar Falls- University Plaza
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cedar Falls

Been to Americas Best Value Red Fox Inn? Share your experiences!