“will never go back”

Red Fox Inn- Waverly
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Waverly
Reviewed May 24, 2008

This place is the worst that I have ever stayed in. Due to my job, I have to travel and stay in many hotels, but this place was completely horrible! First off, they gave us the wrong room. Then, as we walked into our room, the horrible stench of musty, stale smoke was overwhelming (we booked a NON-smoking room) There were dirty ashtrays all over the room. We are non-smokers, so it was rather disgusting to us. The room felt dirty, the hide-a bed was broken, our smoke detector kept going off, all the rooms around us were smoking rooms, so no matter what the smoke kept coming into our room. Kudos to the space in the suites, but they need to spend a little money and give the hotel some much needed care. Paint was peeling, wall paper stained from smoke, the tile to the whirlpool was all busted up, moldy and dirty. The other whilrpool had some sort of crystals in the bottom of it...totally unusable... The female staff there were incredibly helpful and friendly!!! Kudos to you! My advise...find a different hotel to work in!! We will never stay here again!!! The cost of the rooms for what you get and have to stay in is so not worth it!! I wish I would have taken pictures, you would be horrified!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dispatch356
ABVIREDFOXINN, Manager at Red Fox Inn- Waverly, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Since your review, we have made many positive changes to our hotel facilities, guest service and housekeeping department to strive to ensure the most satisfying stay for our guests. Please come visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2008

We first stayed here in August of 2002 for a family wedding and it was ok. We decided to stay here again for a baby shower and it was like getting sucker punched. The rooms were kind of shabby and you couldn't escape the smell of cigarette smoke. My wife and I didn't feel comfortable touching the bed spread. We came down for the complimentary breakfast in the morning and the food did not look appetizing and the dining area was a mess. The only good thing I can speak of is I mistakenly left my wallet in the room and it was still there after we checked out. I recommend staying in Waterloo if you can.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2007

I had gone with the Educational Talent Search group from Chicago, IL and we all stayed at the Red Fox Inn for one night on the 6th of October. We had 4 people to a room so it was kind of difficult since the rooms are so small. But I liked the hotel. It was cute, small, and kind of privateish. I liked the pool even though we couldn't go in it. I do think this is sort of a cheaper hotel because all the rooms are on one floor and they are very easy to get to but I liked it because it's a very nice place.

Stayed: October 2007

Thank you for your pleasant review. Our rooms are actually on three different floors, so I'm curious if you've confused us with another property (?). We also have larger guest rooms than all three of our competitors in town. But you're right... we are the best deal in the Waverly area! thank you again.

Reviewed January 11, 2007

This property used to be known as the Red Fox Inn for many many years. I've been staying there once or twice a year for 15 years and have watched this once very nice property deteriorate into the mess that it is now. It was sold to new owners in the last couple of years and the change in management is very apparent.

On my most recent visit in December 2006, the room and pool areas were filthy. the pool was too cold for comfort and both of the hot tubs were not working correctly. Routine maintenance/houskeeping issues were not being attended to. Wallpaper in public areas was peeling, lighting in the hallways was dim, and the overall impression was shabby and unkempt.

The steakhouse restaurant (Abe Downing Steakhouse) is now closed, and while the casual coffee shop (Tassel Buffet) is still open, it too has changed management and the food is barely edible. Barely.

I paid $70 for a room and didn't get my money's worth. The other 2 motels in Waverly (Super 8 and Amerihost) aren't great either, we will be staying in Cedar Falls on future overnight visits to Waverly.

• Stayed: December 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TLSEG

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Since your review, we have made many positive changes to our hotel facilities, guest service and housekeeping department to strive to ensure the most satisfying stay for our guests. We also have new ownership/management of the Spring Garden Restaurant, and guests are extremely pleased with the cuisine. Please come visit us again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed November 2, 2003

Very good hotel, good management, very clean, all services were done in a professional manner, would hightly recommend it.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you so much for your kind words. I wish more satisfied guests took time out of their busy days to post such comments. I will pass your feedback along to the rest of the staff. Thank you!