“Best Chinese food in Des Moines area”

Shanghai Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 29 Restaurants in Waukee
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Even though there are several other Chinese restaurants closer to our home than this one, my family always chooses the Shanghai Restaurant in Waukee when we have hankering for Chinese food. You simply cannot beat it.

The entire staff is delightful. You always feel welcome here and special here, and the food is wonderful. My only complaint is that their prices have gone up a bit in the last year or so, but that is only because more people have discovered that this is the best Chinese food in central Iowa. You can't begrudge their success, however, as it is very well deserved.

2  Thank Momwdm

Reviewed August 2, 2009

My husband and I stumbled upon this place quite by accident and have driven out of our way to come back many times. We have racked our brains to come up with any constructive criticism, but can't think of anything even slightly negative to say.

We are always greeted promptly and they always seem genuinely happy to see us. We receive our drinks within a minute or two. Even though my favorite meal (cashew shrimp) isn't on the lunch menu, I am able to order it without any problem. The lunches are a great value and include fried rice (steamed if you prefer), both an eggroll and a crab rangoon, your choice of eggdrop or hot and sour soup, and your entree. Lunch prices range around $5.95 to $7.95 and the servings are generous. All the ingredients seem fresh and of high quality and everything is served piping hot. I'm a slow eater, and my last bite is still plenty warm.

The place is very clean (we witnessed them wiping down the walls on our last visit). You don't pick up a sticky salt or pepper shaker here - they pay attention to the details. Your drink never falls below the half-empty point before a refill is cheerfully offered. The employees have always been very pleasant and prompt.

The place has an Asian atmosphere without being over-the-top or schmaltzy. There is a nice instrumental soundtrack going that is also not overbearing. Very calming and pleasant.

We live about 40 minutes away from this place and pass a dozen or more other Chinese restaurants on our way, but this place is simply the best and is worth the drive. I hope they will be around forever.

1  Thank rumbunny
Reviewed March 26, 2008

The best day and time to stop if for Sunday Lunch! They are closed on Mondays. The food is prepared well and presented with style. A favorite is their Empress Chicken. The Crab Ragoon and Egg Drop soup are also favorites, but sincerely I have never had bad meal there. And this review is coming from someone who generally dislikes Chinese restaurant food. This place is definitely worth a try!

2  Thank TravelingGirl77