“Pricey cook it yourself has outstanding steaks, wonderful seafood”

Rube's Steakhouse & Lounge
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Waukee
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Des Moines
“Pricey cook it yourself has outstanding steaks, wonderful seafood”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

If u like to grill with ur buddies or are looking for a place for an after hours office bonding event, this is a great place to go. I typically don't order steak when I go out because I like it cooked well done and don't ever like to send things back to the kitchen. But here u pick out ur steak and sides and cook it how u like it. My buddies and I have a good time here, usually about once a month, there's something sort of primordial about cooking meat over a flame together.

Both the seafood and steaks are super fresh, come in lots of sizes and leanness options (I like mine lean, my wife likes it super fatty). While they do have a good kids menu, and the wait stuff was great w our kids, I truly recommend this as an adults only place. The length of time it takes to get ur food and get it cooking can be extensive and the kids were ready to go by the time I was done cooking our food.

They have an extensive salad bar and wonderful sides. Note that while everything is fresh and super delicious, this is a pricey place to eat, me and the wife usually drop 70 bones between us

West Des Moines, Iowa
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We loved the food, fun and atmosphere. It was busy but still had great service. Allison served us and was personable, fun and had our drinks filled the whole night. Thanks for a great experience!

• Visited November 2011
Ankeny
“Don't waste your money. Bad food, bad service.”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I went to Rube's for a party and it was a really bad experience. The steaks were huge but poor quality, I can buy better ones at Hy Vee. The service was TERRIBLE. It took 45 minutes to get drinks and that was after I complained. Then later in the evening the waitress took my glass for a refill and never brought it back. It was so cold that I wore my coat the whole time. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the meal cause it wasn't worth it and I won't be going back even if it is free.

• Visited January 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
“Best steak house----NOT!!!!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Stopped at this well known steakhouse about 7:00 on a saturday night. Was told it was going to be 15 minute wait and we could go get drinks at the bar. Ordered three different advertised beers before bartender said they had it in stock. Two bottles of beer $10. Finallt got seated and waited 15 minutes for waitress to come over. She said we could go get the salad bar and she would come back and do dinner order. Salad bar came fully stocked with dressing but no salad until waiting in line 10 minutes for them to fill it. Waitress finnally came to take us up to get steaks. Fun part of the night is cooking your own steak. Not here. While cooking steaks employee comes out with a bag of charcoal to put in the grill and dumps it in and charcoal dust goes on everyones food that is cooking. Adding charcoal needed to be done because the grill wasn't hot enough to cook a steak. I had our steaks on for 45 minutes and gave up because they were still raw and we needed to get going. We just figured we would get potatoes and beans and take the steak home for the next morning. Wrong, out of potatoes and beans. Finally got them to bring more out and wanted wine with supper but could find our waitress to order a glass.
Grand total for my cook it yourself dining out experience $75. I can go to my local grocery store and get steak and everything else and cook it at home for cheaper and better than this place.

Des Moines, Iowa
“We go every year for my...”
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We go every year for my husband's birthday! Awesome, fresh cut beef! Great place for a group. Grill your own while you drink!