“Pool was warm. But could use towels replinished more often...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baymont Inn & Suites Waterloo

Baymont Inn & Suites Waterloo
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Waterloo, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

I booked this hotel for my friends and i to stay for my bridal shower. It had a hot tube and a good price. We woke up to use the hot tub only to find out that it was closed. The young woman working at the front dest, kept changing her story as to why it wasn't working. She was incredibly rude and defensive. Other guests had said the chemicals were so strong that it burned people's eyes and burned the skin of a child. I have never ever experienced so much rudeness and lies from one establishment. Everyone from the receptionist to the assistant manager Marge and the manager. Marge said I was not entitled to a refund as I had 2 full days of using it. I said no I had only checked in at 4 yesterday. According to her, a full day of use includes the day when she opened it at 6 am and then immediately closed it. and she closed it at 6 am the following morning. I wanted to lodge a complaint not so much about the hot tub, but how the staff were treating their guests. Marge refused to give me the name of her supervisor or the contact number for the complaints department to lodge a formal complaint. Only when I contacted the corporation did I receive a call from the manger. The first thing he asked was if I had submitted a survey giving the hotel a negative review. He said he would give me a 20% off my next stay on the condition I removed any surveys I took. I informed him that I would never step foot in his hotel again and had not taken a survey or provided a bad review. Even though he gave me a 30% refund, it felt more like blackmail than trying to make a guest happy.

Room Tip: don't stay here!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Margeever12, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Waterloo, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
We would like to thank you for the opportunity to address concerns you have listed. (1) The spa was closed for the safety of all our guest, because the chemical levels being to high, since this occurred on the date of chechout. (2) The rules for the spa state no children under the age of 18 should use and because of the continous use of the spa by your party, yourself and the other guest of the hotel our system was feeding extra chemicals. (3) No other guest filed an injury report for chemical burns on their skin. So once again the spa was closed for the safety of all our guest.
The young lady at the front desk does not know how to be rude, but becomes quiet when being yelled out for not accepting the reason behind the closing. Marge is the manager and with the usage of the spa by your party and yourself did not think a refund for your entire stay was valid. The idea of a refund because of the inability to use the spa at 10 am the morning of check did not warrent a refund.
The gentleman that called you was the CFO of the company so that is why 30% off one day stay was offered for your inconvience not as blackmail.

Thank you again for allowing us to look after the safety of all our guest.