“Unless you need pet-friendly, stay elsewhere” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center

Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Oshkosh, WI
“Unless you need pet-friendly, stay elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed at the Ramada for one night (Saturday) through a wedding block. What drew us to make this choice was we were travelling with 2 dogs - and they allow pets in any room (not just smoking rooms, which was our other option at other hotels.) This is the one positive point I can say about the hotel. It is hard to find places to stay with 2 large dogs and they were accomodating.

We booked a standard king room. Most parts about the hotel look outdated and old. The hallways are semi-creepy with a long, horror movie feel. the decor in the rooms is your traditional motel decor. Nothing new, nothing special. The bathroom was tiny. I will say though that the room did have enough space for 2 adults, a 1 year old and 2 large dogs to be comfortable. The bed itself was comfortable but the pillows were awful.

Probably the worst part about our stay was that the hotel was overrun with rowdy children. Not a big deal when there is some control. But at 1am in the morning we could still hear kids running up and down our hallway and yelling. This clearly isn't really the hotels fault - but just a warning if you are looking for a quiet night sleep.

We stopped in the bar/restaurant which seemed decent. Friendly bartender, lots of tvs for sports. Not a lot of seating if you just want to dine.

The pool area was also filled with kids and the hot tub was out of order.

Watch your bill - we were supposed to be charged the wedding block rate and were not. They did fix it though. Also, they charge $10 for a crib - which isn't usually the case.

Maybe we were spoiled - we stayed at the Isle Capri casino the night before (without the dogs) and it was awesome.

• Liked — Pets allowed in all rooms
  • Disliked — Dingy old feel, bad noise control
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AGarringer, Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Ramada back in November of 2008. I am glad to hear that you were able to travel and stay with your animals during your trip.

I am sorry about the other aspects of your stay with us. We are currently undergoing renovations to update the entire hotel. With new decor, paint, and carpet we hope to change the "creepy" feeling into something more pleasant.

As for the children, we do try our best to keep the noise down after the start of the 10 o'clock pm quiet hours.

I am sorry about the rate and the charge for your stay. The staff at the front desk have protocols that should have prevented any of these misunderstandings on both sides.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Moorhead, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

Hotels in eastern Iowa are busy these days with flood victims, construction workers and other restoration people.

Well, this Ramada in Waterloo was not and there were many reasons. This place is very tired, out-dated and in bad condition. The lobby, the hallways and the public places are all in poor shape. The rooms were actually ok but housekeeping could be better. Of course, the local franchise owner is to blame but so is the chain, to allow its name be used. This is a big problem for the Ramada/Wyndham chain. Quality is extremely uneven with great facilities to very dumpy ones and this one is at the bottom end. The night we were there, despite being told that the restaurant was open, only the tables at the bar were open for meals as the main restaurant was closed that night due to lack of business. It was a very poor environment for a meal. The hotel had maintenance so the water supply was going to be turned off at 8:00am the next morning. We were not told until we were in the room and saw a sign in the public area later. If you are in town, stay at the Isle Casino, please.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kawidd
AGarringer, Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are currently undergoing renovations here at the Ramada. I encourage you to come and see our updates and all the progress we have made! Soon this Ramada will be good as new.
mmorrison
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2008

I called to get a reservation for my friends wedding, the first lady didn't know how to access the wedding block information so she told me the manager would be calling me the next day. I ended up calling back the next day because I never received a call, the manager wasn't doing a good job communicating what the issue was but for some reason I could only stay 1 night not 2. After a frustrating phone call and I could tell the manager was not happy with me either, I decided to make the reservation and gave her my credit card info to reserve the room. The next day I checked my online bank account & there were $200+ in charges to online sites that I didn't make. I've now had to cancel my credit card, and put a claim together a claim for a formal investigation. If this is the behavior of the manager I can't even imagine what the staff is doing! None the less I've canceled my reservation and booked at a competitor.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmorrison
I, first, must apologize for the total lack of hospitality and service you received while you were at the Ramada. It was truly unacceptable.

As for the credit card fraud, I can tell you in complete confidence that it was none of our staff. We do not hire individuals that are a risk for the Ramada, and their actions on the computers (all computers) are logged.
Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

We stayed here for a relative's wedding in the convention center across the street. We will not be staying here again-- the rooms are outdated, dingy, and in need of a good update. The bedding is worn-- our large king-sized mattress sloped so profoundly to one side that we found it hard to sleep without rolling to one side. The door was badly damaged--it looked like it had been jimmied open, with the wood deeply gouged around the door frame. We did not have a 'do not disturb sign' and had to ask for another roll of toilet paper-- there were only a few sheets left on the roll we had. And although we were in a 'non-smoking room', the bedspread and shower curtain smelled of smoke. Apparently the hotel does not keep smoking/non-smoking laundry separated.

The ice machine on our floor did not work, and neither did the one on the floor above us or below. The second day of our stay, there were dozens of youth hockey players in the hotel, many of which spent the afternoon riding up and down in the elevators making them inconvenient for other guests--we waited at least 5 minutes every time we needed to use it. The staff did not seem to care. We tried taking the stairs, but you cannot get onto the hallways from the stairwell, so the elevator is the only option. Apparently the stairs are for fire escape only. Other guests left roomservice trays outside their rooms and they were still there a full day later. Both nights of our stay were interrupted by loud guests in the hallways at all hours, and the sound of people running in the hallways upstairs. We asked the front desk to look into it at 1:00 am, and nothing was done.

This hotel also wins the dubious prize for having the only restaurant where my husband has actually sent back a meal. We tried the Red River restaurant for Saturday lunch, and were not impressed. Our waitress was rude and unhelpful. My coleslaw was warm and inedible. My husband's pork was so freezerburned he could not eat it, and the waitress offered no apology. No wonder the place was nearly empty-- we should have taken that as a sign. We had eaten at the same restaurant the night before for the rehearsal dinner, and the food was better, but the service was appalling-- our waitress was clueless about the menu, and gave us the wrong food twice. We were all served steak of identical doneness, while other tables were able to specify how they wanted their meat cooked. A woman at our table who ordered manicotti said it tasted like Stouffers from the freezer. The Pesto Chicken was so covered in pesto as to be almost inedible. My salad was warm and wilty. We got up and refilled our water and drinks ourselves-- once the meal was served, the waitstaff disappeared completely.

The skywalk system from the Convention Center to the hotel to the parking ramp is old, musty-smelling, and badly in need of an update.

The topper is that my mother-in-law had a necklace and pair of earrings disappear. When notified, the front desk staff replied that nothing had been turned in, and that she had probably just misplaced it. They were completely uncaring.

My husband described the place well-- "if you have a pile of poo and tie a ribbon around it, it's still a pile of poo, but with a ribbon around it." The Ramada is obviously trying to make themselves a high-class hotel, but are failing miserably at it. Should we need to stay in Waterloo again, we will choose other lodging-- a Super 8 or Motel 6 would provide comparable service and rooms for a far lower price.

• Liked — not much
  • Disliked — dirty, outdated, bad restaurant, uncaring staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mtcowgirl
WaterlooFamily, Guest Service Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, February 2, 2009
We have made several updates to our hotel. Some of these update include new mattresses & A/C most of the hotel rooms. We are replacing the hallway carpeting and wallpaper. Please stop by and see our great improvements.
Racine, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

This hotel had bad service and is in need of an update. The hotel room was very old looking and not in the best shape. I would consider this more of a motel 6 by the rooms. Also there were a lot of drunk teens in the hallways and I had to call security 3 times because of banging on the doors. Security never kicked the kids out, not did they offer an apology. They should have refunded our money since we didn't even sleep there. You should expect poor customer service and ulgy rooms.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — the service and atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank michele062
I sincerely apologize for your stay with us. What you experienced was unacceptable. We are going through new staff training programs to improve our service and major renovations to make this hotel like new again.

Again I apologize for your stay, but I do hope that you will come again to see the progress that we have made.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2007

Hotel is dated and old. Furniture, bedding is worn out. Would not recommend staying here.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank Teal B
We are currently undergoing renovations on our entire hotel and convention center. We want our guests' stays to be as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I encourage you to come again and see all the updates we have made throughout!
Ames
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

I wish I would have read some reviews first before selecting this hotel. I must first say the the staff were wonderful! We just had problems with the hotel and our room in general.
Very very outdated! Our hotel door had terrible gouges in it, like someone had broken the lock before. I was afraid it would not lock properly. The wall paper had huge holes in it from previous wall hangings or lights that were there before.
The pool area - well, if the the Travelocity's roaming knome would have told us the hot tub had been out of commission when we booked, we would have appreciated it! The pool area was ok, but dingy, outdated, just needs a make over.
Our bathroom - well, 3 burned out bulbs didn't help much, and when I went to drain the tub - the entire mechanism came off in my hands. They did send someone up right away to repair!!!
Our first night I was awakened at 3 am to the sounds of water dripping, and wet sheets. The window had water pouring down it - from the air conditioner in the room above us, and it came through our ceiling. It dripped down on the window ledge, splattering on the bed.
We did eat breakfast in the hotel which was a small buffet. And the food itself was great. I just had a problem with them charging almost $8 per person, for some scrambed eggs, bacon, and a few bagles.
I might stay there again, if we knew it had been updated.
Again, the staff were great!

Stayed July 2007
First, I would like to thank you for commenting on our staff. They do their best to make a guests stay as enjoyable as possible, so it is good to hear positive feedback.

Secondly, I apologize for the state of the room you were in. It is unacceptable. We are currently undergoing renovations to significantly update the Ramada and make her good as new. I encourage you to come again and see the progress that we have made!