“Would not stay here again”

Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Waterloo
Reviewed December 24, 2007

Hotel is dated and old. Furniture, bedding is worn out. Would not recommend staying here.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank Teal B
AGarringer, Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

We are currently undergoing renovations on our entire hotel and convention center. We want our guests' stays to be as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I encourage you to come again and see all the updates we have made throughout!

Reviewed July 28, 2007

I wish I would have read some reviews first before selecting this hotel. I must first say the the staff were wonderful! We just had problems with the hotel and our room in general.
Very very outdated! Our hotel door had terrible gouges in it, like someone had broken the lock before. I was afraid it would not lock properly. The wall paper had huge holes in it from previous wall hangings or lights that were there before.
The pool area - well, if the the Travelocity's roaming knome would have told us the hot tub had been out of commission when we booked, we would have appreciated it! The pool area was ok, but dingy, outdated, just needs a make over.
Our bathroom - well, 3 burned out bulbs didn't help much, and when I went to drain the tub - the entire mechanism came off in my hands. They did send someone up right away to repair!!!
Our first night I was awakened at 3 am to the sounds of water dripping, and wet sheets. The window had water pouring down it - from the air conditioner in the room above us, and it came through our ceiling. It dripped down on the window ledge, splattering on the bed.
We did eat breakfast in the hotel which was a small buffet. And the food itself was great. I just had a problem with them charging almost $8 per person, for some scrambed eggs, bacon, and a few bagles.
I might stay there again, if we knew it had been updated.
Again, the staff were great!

Stayed: July 2007

First, I would like to thank you for commenting on our staff. They do their best to make a guests stay as enjoyable as possible, so it is good to hear positive feedback.

Secondly, I apologize for the state of the room you were in. It is unacceptable. We are currently undergoing renovations to significantly update the Ramada and make her good as new. I encourage you to come again and see the progress that we have made!

Sarasota
Reviewed May 4, 2006

If you have any business in the Waterloo convention center area you must stay at the Ramada. I visited last Feb. around the Superbowl and stayed 4 nts. It was great. Room service - to die for. Oh the prices- truely a great value in dining. Try the ribeye steak- great beef at a great price. The bar was a friendly "Cheers" like bar- where by the end everybody knew my name. Wonderful stay- clean room/bath, etc... Quiet, plesant.

Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for staying with us at the Ramada! We are so glad to hear that your stay was wonderful! We hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2005

Having read the reviews, we opted for the executive floor, which had a comfortable bed, was clean, and recently redone. At 2am we were awakened by extremely noisy guests, who sounded drunk or high on something. The banging, yelling, and noise were pretty bad - and a bit frightening. Relatives of ours called the desk and were told something would be done, but it took a second call to make a difference. We understand the offending folks were told the police would be called if they continued, which seemed to work.

I hope the above was an isolated experience. Otherwise the hotel restaurant offered an outstanding breakfast and excellent service. The front office staff seems under experienced, but kind. Found the nearby Brown Bottle to be an excellent place for homemade Italian food.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank joelmari

Thank you for staying with us at the Ramada! I do apologize for the noisy guests, it does happen when we get certain groups in, but that doesn't make it okay.

I am glad you enjoyed your room and the breakfast. We are currently undergoing more renovations to keep this hotel updated and comfortable.

Our staff is also undergoing a new training program, which will great for helping our guests!

I encourage you to visit again and see the progress we have made!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 8, 2005

I felt that the hotel was a clean and friendly environment. The food in the restaurant was impeccable, my room was very comfortable, and with all the improvements that have been made to the hotel I would definitely go back. Thank you to the hotel and staff for making my stay so great!!!! Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
AGarringer, Manager at Ramada Waterloo Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Ramada, and for your kind words about our facility! I encourage you to come and stay again and experience the changes that are being applied at this very moment!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 10, 2005

I come to Waterloo on business every five years and normally stay at the Ramada. The last time I was in town was July 2000, at this time the hotel and convention center was in need of changes and boy did they upgrade. The convention center was a newly renovated area which I must say looked awesome. The staff could not have been nicer.
When it came time to check into my hotel the staff was welcoming they made me feel very comfortable, check in went smoothly and I was off to my room. The rooms on my floor had been newly renovated, pillow top mattresses, new sofas, nice work area, and one of the most important wireless internet for work, all very clean and impressive! After talking with the staff in the restaurant I found out that the Ramada had won many awards the previous year, especially Hostmark Hotel of the Year in 2004, and Food and Beverage Hotel of the Year. I can defiantly say that I was impressed with the food and service!
I also appreciated the van that picked me up at the airport. The driver was friendly and very hospitable
I don't agree with the comments that were made in previous reviews. I felt that the changes that the hotel had made and are in the process of making will greatly help the Waterloo area. It takes time for hotels to change and renovate given that they are in the process of doing so shows that they care for the customer and want them to have a good stay.
Once again I could not be happier with the hotel and would recommend the hotel to clients and friends. I will defiantly stay with the Ramada when traveling to Iowa. I can't wait for my next visit!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for staying with us at the Ramada! I am so glad to hear that the renovations at that time were fantastic! We are undergoing the same types of renovations now! With new decor, paint, beds, etc, the Ramada will look as good as new! I encourage you to come again to experience the current changes at the hotel!

Reviewed July 2, 2005

Okay, so I was full on scared to go to this hotel that was selected for me by my employer. I did find the cobwebs in the parking garage and they are kind of gross, but they belong to the city parking garage - not the hotel. (yes, the hotel could send someone down with a broom to fix it...) I was glad someone wrote about the garage - I arrived knowing about the parking garage - but there was also ample parking space along the hotel on the street and in front to park and run in to ask about what the procedure was.

I didn't eat at the hotel - but they did cater the food we ate at the convention center. It was fine - kind of unimaginative, but ample and prepared well. The service staff was great - they supplied our requests as well as possible.

The only thing I really ran into issues with were the dirty carpeting (ick) and the showers. The faucet had great water pressure but when it was switched to shower mode it went to a trickle. It was an irritating way to start the day. The decorations were a little weird, but fully functional. I have no idea how much this place cost - I didn't pay for it. So, as for whether this place is a good value, I couldn't tell you.

The surrounding area is devoid of life, which is unfortunate. There's a Subway sandwich place a block away and a pizzaria next door to that. There's a nicer place called the Brown Bottle a block southeast of the hotel but I didn't eat there. Not easy to find is a Texaco (for the coffee needs) about 5 blocks northwest of the convention center. It's a nice little walk. We established that the best and most clothed bar in the area is in the hotel - the bartenders were great to us while we were there.

For entertainment, there's a baseball team in town - the Bucks - and they play pretty often in the summer. The hotel was really great about arranging trips for us to the game and the mall - perhaps because so many of us were there - but it never hurts to ask.

I probably wouldn't have stayed there if I hadn't had a conference in the conference center across the street. The facilities could benefit from some help but we found the hotel staff to be really freindly and helpful. If you find yourself at the Ramada, know it's not THAT scary! (okay, a little, but nothing you can't live with!)

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank travelgirl428

First, let me thank you for staying with us! Also, for letting us know how well our staff took care of you during your visit. We are currently renovating the hotel again, so that we stay updated with the news technology and so forth. This renovation does include new carpeting, paint, etc. So we encourage you to come back and see for yourself the progress we have made!