“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Ames, Iowa
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The only down side to this hotel was the breakfast. There was no waffles offered and the eggs were like from a carton not like real eggs. All of this aside I would still recommend this hotel for your stay. If you are looking for clean and comfy, this is the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The sudden death of my mother brought me to Waterloo. I arrived ahead of the rest of my family, by a few days. Initially, I stayed at the home of my mother. Knowing I would need a hotel room for myself, husband, and children I stopped in to make a reservation. I had a smaller room for myself the first of two nights and the second night a larger 2 queen with sleeper sofa (this is a special larger room not readily available) and actually was not available the first of my two night stay. I would have reserved it for both nights if it had been available. The staff making the initial reservation booked both rooms. I arrived after 4:00 on the first of my two night stay. I confirmed at check-in the change in rooms after the first night. Explaing that the family would be arriving with little time before going to the funeral home. They would need to change cloths and leave bags. Either in the current room or the 2nd nights reserved room. I had already spoken to the staff about the time frame, they were working on getting the new room cleaned and ready if possible. My family arrived at 11:50, they needed to change and we were due at the funeral home at 12:45.
I went to the front desk to coordinate the room switch. The front desk was so concerned about housekeeping cleaning the little standard room they told us to hurry and get all our bags on a rolling luggage rack and brought to the front desk. I told them we did not have time for that, could they please move the bags to the room that we were moving to.  The front desk staff explained what was best for them and their housekeeping staff schedule, was for us to vacate and bring all our things to the front desk to retrieve when we came back. I am in tears at this point and walked back to my room. The housekeeping staff happened to be just outside my room. Vickie could see I was sobbing and asked if she could help. Through sobs I explained the time frame and the room change. She told me she would personally see that our things were moved to the other room. Hours later 8-9 pm we returned to the hotel and found a hand written note from her conveying her sympathies at the loss of my mother. All our bags were moved into the new room. We stay at this hotel whenever we are in Waterloo visiting. The stay was a Saturday/Sunday night stay. 3/16 arriving for two nights. I gave service a terrible, but as you know housekeeping was the best I've ever had in my life. Vickie will be remembered for her kindness as the front desk staff will not.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank ruralgourmet
Christa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn Waterloo, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and Award Winning staff. I would like to apologize personally for the way this situation was handled. I can understand how difficult this trip already was for you and we should have done everything to make your stay at our hotel as convenient and comfortable as possible. We stand behind the Hampton Satisfaction Guarantee and have removed the charges for your entire stay. This is surely the smallest token of my apologies so please feel free to contact me personally by phone at 319-233-2044 or email at christa.thompson@hilton.com if there is anything else I may do for you. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and give us another opportunity to provide you with the outstanding service you most certainly deserve.
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a nice newer hotel in Waterloo and a great choice. The lobby is great, open, inviting, fireplace and coffee, tea and cocoa all day along with apples and oranges to grab as a snack.
I stayed last week during a huge snowfall and in spite of the heavy snow, there were plenty of employees and support people working.
The fitness center has 2 treadmills, an elliptical machine, a bike and weights. Each workout machine had its own television monitor which is a huge benefit for a Hampton Inn. (So many still have the one tv in the room, so whoever is in there first forces their tv viewing on you). Another excellent point of the fitness center was a small refrigerator in the room with chilled bottles of water. EXCELLENT

The room was large, nice bathroom with plenty of counter space on the vanity.

Plenty of open plug-ins to use for charging electronics. - even at the nightstand. Another thoughtful plus.

The windows open, which is great to allow fresh air vs. some of the cheaper hotels that are paned glass only, and feel a little stagnant. It was nice to open the window a crack to feel the fresh air for a few minutes and air the room out.

Could have walked to an IHOP from the hotel, but within 5 minutes drive to several restaurants including Panera, Olive Garden, steak house etc. etc.

Lots of parking on BOTH sides of the hotel with doorways for easy entry no matter where you parked. Another plus with the snow!

The hotel was booked prior to my making my reservation. Had to use Diamond benefits to get a room. I assume this is because it's the best hotel in town, so you'll want to book early.

• 3 of 5 stars
North Pole, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at this location for one week and was completely satisfied. The room was clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the use of the workout and pool facilities. The hotel is conveniently located near shopping and a multitude of dining choices. I would definitely stay at this hotel if I ever return to the Waterloo area.

Room Tip: *No restaurant on-site. I cannot change the selection.*
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

After being out in the freezing weather that day it was great to check in to this Hampton Inn with a warm welcoming fireplace in the lobby/breakfast area. I picked up someone from a nearby hotel on the way to dinner and was pleased I was not staying there with a colder less welcoming lobby. The room I stayed in also was very spacious and had a good sized desk for working on.

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed a Friday and Saturday night. The location is nice, just off of San Marnan. The lobby area is very nice- upscale furnishings and a fireplace.

I didn't use the health club facilities but they were located adjacent to the lobby area. There were four or five pieces of cardio equipment but I couldn't tell of there were any free weights.

The free breakfast was good, many options to choose from. They had fruit, cereal, oatmeal, bagels, english muffins and more. They also had a waffle station. My only complaint is that both mornings a family of four beat me to the waffle iron so I had to wait for four waffles to be made before I could take my turn.

The room was nice. The bathroom had a large shower and vanity. The room had a refrigerator, micorwave and desk. It also had a large flat screen TV that was nice but it was a little older so the time it took to chance channels took forever compared to newer flat screens. The room was a little larger than most standard hotel rooms. My favorite thing about the room is the charging station next to the bed. They had four electrical outlets and USB outlets for charging cell phones. I wish more hotels had this feature.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubuque, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel was extremely clean, quiet and offered a fantastic breakfast. It was close to shopping and restaurants.The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool was clean and the hot tub was "hot". While we did not use the exercise room, it was in great shape and clean. We enjoyed a great night's sleep on a great mattress. The room was quiet and we did not hear other travelers.

Room Tip: We have never had a bad experience at a Hampton. You may pay a few dollars more a night, but what y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterloo
Comfort Inn & Suites Waterloo
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterloo Cedar Falls
Days Inn & Suites Waterloo
Holiday Inn Express Waterloo
Candlewood Suites Waterloo-Cedar Falls
Baymont Inn & Suites Waterloo

Been to Hampton Inn Waterloo? Share your experiences!