“For fall-off-the-bone ribs try the Hickory House”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
D Plus K Hickory House
Ranked #35 of 134 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Danville, KY
“For fall-off-the-bone ribs try the Hickory House”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our daughter married a great guy from Waterloo, IA, and every time we visit we eat ribs at the Hickory House. If someone didn't tell you, you would never stop at this hole-in-the-wall, but they have the best ribs and home-made blue cheese dressing we've ever eaten. When I say fall-off-the-bone ribs, I mean the ribs are completely clean. Try their crispy hash browns with the ribs. You WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED. We also enjoyed the fresh relish tray and bread basket. If you are looking for fancy, go somewhere else. Friendly staff and good food make it easy to overlook the decor. This place is a favorite for the locals!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Alicia N

Overland Park, Kansas
“Are You Kidding Me ?”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've never been inclined to write a review, because I've never had an experience that was so disturbing. We were recently in town on business, and went there on a recommendation and we will forever regret it. Friendly staff.....that's it. Food was terrible (and that is being kind). The free rib samples had no bones ? The menu prices were insulting (20.00 for chopped sirloin)......not to mention the menus were old, dirty, and had grease stains. The decor was depressing......basemant paneling wall to wall (and even on the ceiling).The salad had nothing but iceberg lettuce (most likely from a bag). When we asked about the Grade of beef that they used....we were told "filet mignon". When we politely informed them that "filet" is not a Grade....we were told that no one has ever asked that question. Needless to say.....I now know why they couldn't answer our question. It was cow meat at best....steaks appeared to have been pan fried (not grilled).....overcooked.....and tasted like liver. Our choices for a "side dish" included tomato juice or orange juice. That's right.....tomato juice or orange juice ! At that time we should have gotten up to leave, but instead were looking for hidden cameras as it was obvious that we were part of a very bad joke. As it turns out.....the joke was on us. I grew up in Iowa and was looking forward to food reminiscent of our agricultural reputation. Not at this place.....and they don't even take credit cards. Save your money for an experience much more deserving. Avoid Avoid Avoid !

Shocked and Embarrassed Native Iowan

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Ken R
Gilbertville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a nice experience!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband heard about this restaurant on KWWL news. We had recently driven by there and wondered what kind of place it was. Kind of back in a neighborhood away from busy traffic. So tonight for my 50th birthday we decided to go there. We did have to wait about 15 minutes or so but that wasn't a problem since most popular restaurants have a waiting list on the weekends. That in itself was impressive. We were greeted pleasantly and when we were seated the waitress thanked us for waiting patiently. The place is small but we didn't feel crowded at our table. We were brought a sample bite of their ribs, nice touch. Then we were brought a bread/cracker basket - with real butter and a relish tray. I felt like we waisted the relish tray because there was so much on it that we didn't eat ie carrot sticks, olives, green peppers. My husband had the fall-off-the-bone ribs and they were awesome! I had the ham steak which was thick and juicy and very tasty. My son had the steak sandwich and that was also juicy. There was plenty left over to bring home. My daughter wasn't with us but I will most definitely be taking her there soon. A very nice find :-)

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sharon S
Gurnee, Illinois
“Traveling Salesman”
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Came in just after 5 and the place was almost empty. Left about 7 and they were busy. You feel like you stepped back on time with the decor and the staff is very friendly. This is a family restaurant with no bar business although there is a bar. They are known for their ribs which I had thepleasureof sampling and it was fall of TE bone good with a homade BBQ sauce. I ordered the filet mingin due to their only being a T-bone as the other offering. I asked about serving weights for the steaks and they looked at me funny and hastily check back in the kitchen. I was told the small T was 10-12oz, large T was 14oz and fillet was 14oz. A 14 oz fillet for $20? I had to see, so I ordered it. When it was served it couldnt have been anyone than 10ozs even with the bacon wrapped around it.
The dinner came with a relish tray of sweet pickles, carrots, celery and black olives, along with a bread basket, soup and salad. All for $20.
Steak was good but not excellent and the salad dressing was very good. The balance was fair.

2 Thank Stuart F
Franklin, Pennsylvania
“Don't be fooled”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife was hesitant by the outside and location, until she saw the parking lot. I had made a very good choice. The inside is small, I believe 15 tables, but the noise was not a problem.
The place was busy when we arrived, but we were accomodated promptly and warmly greeted. The food was top notch, the ribs, you could tell were cooked by an expert, fall off the bone. Don't miss this place, unless you don't like to eat.

Visited July 2012