“Wish I could give this 4.5 stars!”

Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Waterloo
Ames, IA
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Wish I could give this 4.5 stars!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

When looking for something to break up a trip from eastern to central Iowa, I came across info about this museum. We decided to stop, and what a treat! It's connected with the Grout Museum (local history), but we didn't have time to visit that part. With two hours, we just didn't have time! The exhibits in the Veterans Museum are really well done, with tons of hands-on things that our kids loved. And there was plenty for adults to absorb as well. It covers Civil War to current conflicts, and includes artifacts as well as interviews with veterans and so much more. I would highly recommend this museum, especially for Iowans interested in the state's military history.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank LSR00

Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“An Unexpected Gem”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a must-see if you're traveling in the Cedar Valley or especially if you're a local. Excellent displays about the history of various wars our country has gone through with a unique emphasis on how they affected Iowans. Very educational and informative. Awesome and humble reminders about the sacrifices people were willing to make and not just the soldiers but those who were left behind at home also contributed greatly. This museum turned out to be bigger and better than I would've imagined and in some ways can rival that of what you would see in a big city. As with most museums you can go at your own pace and make it quick. But if you're interested in more details even a moderate pace could allow you to spend a few hours here.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank cross_checked23
Waterloo, Iowa
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Make sure you allow plenty of time to get through the museum. It is extraordinarily well done for a community the size of Waterloo.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank FromMyFrontPorch
Iowa City, Iowa
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Everything everyone else has said but...”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We enjoyed this museum but I want to share a few things that might make your visit more enjoyable. If you're using a Garmin, I'd suggest typing in the address to find it or search for "Grout Museum". The only thing I could find in the Garmin related to "Sullivan" in the area was the convention center. Although it's not horribly far from the museum, it will save you some frustration not to be directed there. In addition, as recommended on the website, park under the 4th St underpass as you'll get to the main entrance faster. There is very, very limited parking in the back which I'd recommend for those who are handicap or have trouble walking. There is a door in the back for you to enter then a sign directing you to the elevator so you can get to the front desk to pay for admission, etc... The dog tags really are fun - I've never seen anything like them at other museums.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Bountiful-IA
Waterloo, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A great way to connect to the area's past.”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We enjoyed the way the war museum connected with the area by using stories of people of the time from nearby.

Visited September 2011

Been to Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum? Share your experiences!