“Dirty & Poorly Run Hotel”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Dirty & Poorly Run Hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

I've been forced to stay here several times for business travel and each time it's the same problems. Twice I arrived to find they had not added my Gold Points Plus membership to my reservation as I'd requested. Once in the room I made the mistake of looking at the floor. The entire room has a 1 inch outline of dirt where the floor meets the baseboards. This dirt buildup is so bad the carpet literally turned from brown to gray near the edges. The dirt outline follows the furniture where no one has moved a night stand or chair to vacuum in a long time. Behind the wingback chair in the corner is a floor lamp where you can literally write your name in the dirt. Being curious, I looked behind the nightstand (mistake) and there were cigarette packages that had dusty cobwebs on them.

I asked the manager to come look at the room and he said "If you think it's bad now, you should have seen it three months ago!" This isn't what I wanted to hear. He did come back with a vacuum and touched up areas that were visible.

The rooms are poorly insulated. I could actually hear the person in the next room snoring. The floors creak and the person in the room above me woke me up when they got up in the middle of the night.

Finally, the heating in some rooms has digital controls and other rooms have knobs. In the room with the knob on the heater, it defaults to running almost constantly. As a result, my room temperature would climb to almost 80 degrees & I had to shut off the heat (Iowa in January) for the night to keep from overheating in the middle of the night.

The staff is polite, but the hotel chain or the local management is doing a poor job! There are MUCH better hotel chains out there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
swalther015, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Waterloo, responded to this review, February 28, 2010
Thank you for your recent stay at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson of Waterloo, Iowa, your business is so greatly appreciated! Additionally, thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay at our hotel. We use the information provided by our guest to train and coach our entire TEAM, so that we may reach our goals of exceeding each and every guest expectations!

Yes, your room did have a problem with the cleanliness of the carpet edging around the room. I apologized to you about the situation and told you that I would take care of it right away! I asked you if everything else was great and you responded "Yes" everything else looks great! I stated to you that that staff had been working hard, and that we had come along way since I took over management several months ago. I then went to work moving all the furniture in your guest room, I vacuumed and removed the dust that was the issue in your room within minutes. Never did I find a cigarette package under the night stand. Additionally, I came back to your room with a $50 gift card and offered to buy you dinner because of the inconveniences you had encountered. You would not accept the gift card as you told me you were very pleased, because I had taken care of the problem so quickly!

The management of the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson of Waterloo takes great pride in delivering great guest service and the cleanest guest rooms in Waterloo! Just like any other business, we do have many challenges that face us everyday, this is what brings us to work everyday ready to make us better then we were the day before! As a management TEAM it is our job to build a TEAM that has the same goals and aspirations that we have. We are working hard everyday to build our TEAM. We want to be the best and we are working in that direction, and we will not settle for anything less. We will not rest or be happy until we reach our goal of exceeding each and every guest expectations during their stay with us! My TEAM is dedicated to being the best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Waterloo, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

Right in the shopping district and close to my work. I enjoyed their pool and hot tub area. The breakfast was good but not spectacular.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed here one night on our way north. We were using rewards points, and the room was large and clean. No complaints at all. The breakfast was one of the best we've encountered in a long time. The staff that we encountered were friendly and competent. There is a Lone Star steak house just across the parking lot from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Faribaujlt, Mn.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

I reserved a room, it was guaranted with my credit card, confirmed by email, showed up at 4:00pm and no room. We had a graduation from college and this upset our plans for a pleasant weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

Stayed for just one night on our way to Sturgis SD. Hotel staff was nice and helpful. Did not use the pool or hot tub.
King suite was clean with a queen slepper sofa pull-out. The couple with us said was better than most pull-outs.
Room was big enough for 4 adults. Bathroom had a large counter with a tub/shower combo. Free breakfast was good.
Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MMT
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

Clean room, staff was friendly and the hotel had a nice set up for breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2007

This is a great hotel for what it is - good location right on San Marnen (near a lot of the major stores, hospital etc.). It's a chain and well maintained. I have stayed in many of the rooms here - some are quite spacious, especially the suites. They have fresh baked cookies every afternoon and quite a nice breakfast buffet spread.

Not a swanky or hip hotel by any means. Clearly a chain. But it's clean, with lots of homey touches, and very convenient when I'm visiting relatives in the area.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Antsy280