“front desk problems.”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Waterloo
Illinois
“front desk problems.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for four straight years to attend a conference. Twice we have had problems with our reservations and once we had problems with unlocking our doors with the cards. They had many problems trying to get them programmed correctly. This year we weren't able to check in until 4:00 PM we had problems with our reservations and the bed was very uncomfortable. I would stay somewhere else but my traveling companions like the casino.

Room Tip: We were given handicapped rooms because of the problems with the reservations. They are nice size r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed October 26, 2012

It is a decent place to stay even if you are not into gambling. It is easy to find, close to both Cedar Falls and Waterloo and the rooms are clean and quiet. The rooms do tend to smell slightly smokey, even if you do request a non-smoking room. I was there for a conference and the food was very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here on our way through town. The casino was easy to find, and fairly close in proximity to San Marnan which is kind of the main drag in Waterloo. We checked in late, and found a live band in a bar off of the lobby. The casino definitely puts a lot of effort into making it an exciting place (the band, a DJ?) but it was really difficult to hear the front desk clerk during the check in process. i realize that this makes me sound like i'm about 75 years old, but I'm only 33 and it was annoying. Additionally, the clerk didn't really feel the need to speak any louder than he normally would. Once we got to our room, we found that it was very large, and very nice. The bathroom was very spacious with a walk in shower and plenty of room. There were a number of nice touches, keeping the space up to date and stylish. After unpacking a bit, we headed down to the casino floor to lose a little bit of money and grab a drink. We waited for nearly 10 minutes for our IDs to be checked to confirm that we were over 21. Again, let me point out that I am 33 years old. Although I appreciate the compliment, it was annoying to have to wait to get in as i watched the grey hairs walk by. The casino itself is quite small. there are only 3 slot areas, and very limited card tables. There is a huge bar in the middle, and as i mentioned before... a DJ. I know they're just trying to keep the energy up, but I wanted to be able to chat with my husband at the bar and it was way too loud. I have stayed in Waterloo on business many times, and it is definitely more entertaining than the typical hotel, but the casino itself was a little lacking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smarties79
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our website. As you stated, we do put a lot of effort into making our casino an energetic and exciting place. We have a Fan Club that allows guests to receive various perks, discounts, complimentary items and the ability to enter fun promotions. We also have free entertainment every Friday & Saturday night. I agree that on the weekend you visited our casino, our sound control was not at its best, but I welcome you to visit us again. We've made some changes and you will find that the band in The Lone Wolf will not affect your hotel check-in process and the DJ is at a much more acceptable level. You also mentioned getting held up at the casino entrance because of your youthful appearance (Congratulations. Ha ha.) I know it can sometimes take a few extra minutes on a busy night, but we do appreciate your patience and understanding. The State of Iowa takes underage gambling very seriously and so do we. I hope you visit us again soon; we'd love to hear your feedback on our changes.
Webster City, Iowa
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have stayed here multiple times. The check in is a hit or miss depending on what day it is. The check in staff is not very friendly or very well trained. The rooms are always clean and in good order. Ottis and Harrys is a great place to eat and have drinks. The people working at the bar on the floor are not at all friendly or attentive. We still always have fun when we stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SW MO
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at the Isle Casino while in town for a family reunion/birthday party. The room was very nice (a junior sweet) and the kids loved the whirlpool tub. The hotel Buffet was good in terms of quality and value, and hotel staff was very friendly, especially the ladies at the buffet. The only suggestions I would make would be: 1) the wi-fi service in the rooms was slow at times and 2) there were only two computers available for guests to use near the front desk. The computers used a generic log in that had a 20 minute time limit, but people could log in again with the same password. I saw two women "hog" the computers for almost an hour, and then get upset when I waited for them to finish. I realize most folks are not there to use a computer, but a hotel this size should have more than two computers, or a more reliable log in system.

We would have no qualms with staying at the Isle again when we're in CF to visit family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for visiting us while you were in town for a family reunion and birthday party. I passed along your comment to management, so they can see your compliments and your suggestions. I apologize about the women who were on the computers for an extended period of time. If this happens in the future, please let a team member know, so that we can address the time limit with the guests. We are happy to provide a complimentary Wi-Fi service and want to make sure all our hotel guests are well-accommodated. Thanks.
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Picked this Hotel off the AAA travel site. I booked on line with AAA a week or so before our trip. However, when we got there they did not have our reservation. The guy at the front desk stated he didn't know how to help us so he called the manager on the phone. The Manager at the time was in the giftshop...so was my sister. She over heard him say on the phone " Well I don't know what she expects us to do." I realize that the snafu could very well be AAA fault, but what happened to helping the customer. Finally the guy at the front desk stated that they did have rooms available and gave us one $10 cheaper than AAA.
The rooms are nice. Ours was a little noisy due to the A/C units on the roof outside our room, but tolerable for one night. The carpet was stained and so were the chairs in the room, but overall was a nice room. The king size matress was OK. Again tolerable for one night.
I liked that the casino wasn't overpowered by cigerette smoke. We were there on a Thursday night so it wasn't too crowded.
We didn't swim but the pool looked inviting. We only played the slot machines, and walked away $10 richer. So our stay wasn't too bad.
I could see myself staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook A/C units.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
IsleCasinoWT, Digital Marketing Manager at Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad to see that we were able to get you a hotel room during your stay despite the incident with AAA – and $10 cheaper. However, it sounds like the room you stayed in could use some extra attention and the team member your sister encountered could use a little more of a “can-do attitude.” Would you mind emailing us your contact information, so that we can look up your room number and get more information about your stay? Our email address is IsleCasinoWT@islecorp.com. We want our guests to always have a positive experience and your input will help us to do that. And, congrats on the casino win! I always like to think of it as getting paid to have fun. Ha ha. We look forward to your return visit.
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Isle Casino Hotel is a beautiful hotel room for a wonderful price. The staff makes you feel welcomed. The rooms are better than some hotel rooms that we stayed in Vegas. The casino is fun and we usually win. The swimming pool is awesome and hot tub hits the spot. Its a great place for couples to relax and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pigtails65
Your review is exactly what we want to see - a comfortable environment, friendly customer service and our guests having fun! Thank you for taking the time to let us know that we’re doing a good job. We appreciate it.