“A little bit of heaven”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurnham
London, England, United Kingdom
“A little bit of heaven”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

the absolutely gorgeous place totally took us by surprise the web page doesn't do it justice,. Stayed for 2 nights and didn't want to leave, The chalet room was very comfortable, some might say a little basic but I thought it was charming. The breakfast was excellent but sunday morning was a little hectic in comparison to the Saturday morning. Ate dinner in the restaurant the 1st night the food was extremely good, I has smoked haddock mornay with poached egg just delicious, Saturday we had a table reserved in the bar as the restaurant was fully booked and though it was comfortable and again the food was excellent I had fillet steak, the service was a little slow. We were not in any hurry though so it didn't hamper our experience. The staff were utterly delightful. We drove to Whitstable which took 40 minutes on the Saturday and oysters in the bay and had a beer on the beach at The Navigation, it was like a country break with the beach a stones throw, Pilgrims way is so gorgeous with the twisty narrow roads our 6 year old loved it. Highly recommended and we will be back on 27th December with our friends. A delight.

Room Tip: The little cabins are so cute but if you struggle with hills then request one close to the restauran...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Nova Scotia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Black Horse for three days while touring around Maidstone and Canterbury. At 70 plus we didn't really do justice to the lovely walking opportunities in the area but we enjoyed just driving to and from the pub/hotel through the sunken lanes and along the Pilgrim's Way.

The rooms in the chalets are basic but large and very clean. They have windows that open and look out into the surrounding wood. The staff are very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to look after us. The food in the pub was enjoyed by everyone in our group of four- my only complaint is that the portions were very large and I never had room for desert! Breakfast was a buffet of juices and cereal but with a served cooked 'full English' if you had room after supper the night before.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MiriamGNovaScotia
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Blavk Horse several times and again recently a very good experience
The location is perfect near the motorway network but far enough away to feel relaxed
The resturant has a good choice and the team are attentive and friendly
Our guests enjoyed the evening and left feeling positive with our choice of venue

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Danny M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed for a night as we were meeting friends and loved it so much we booked to go back for a weekend. The rooms are very clean and also allow dogs for which you get a basket of old towels and a sheet - which is a great idea.
The pub is very special - on different levels and very quaint.
There are a number of walks leaving straight from the pub (reception has them laminated) which entail stunning scenery.
Will def go back !

Room Tip: I would ask for a room at the bottom of the hill as very quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JacquelineBoudier
Southsea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I usually stay in a 3 or 4 star hotel so staying in a pub was quite a departure for me. The rooms were lovely - more like chalets and away from the pub itself and they were so pretty with lots of hanging and wall baskets. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated, the disabled room well appointed and the toiletries excellent. The staff, without exception, were all friendly and helpful. The breakfasts and our evening meal were well cooked and presented - thankfully not your typical pub grub! My only niggles were the lack of telephones in the rooms, more for inter room and emergency communication, particularly as mobile reception was very variable and the lack of lemony desserts on the menu!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Room fine. Everything we needed. Very clean.Great pub. Good beer and nice wine list. Lots of atmosphere.Ate in two nights. Both very good indeed.Belly pork, calves liver cooked pink as it should be and steak and kidney puds the second night.Real veg properly cooked.Spring greens one night.Two divine desserts.Sticky toffee pudding & chocolate brownie.I had asked for steak and kidney pud the first night but it had run out so when we booked a table for the second night we asked if there were any puds available, could the chef save us one each. When the waitress took our order she said there were no steak puddings but one of the other waitresses said they had saved us two which we thought was really good customer service.They were delicious too!The best part of this place is the staff. From the bar staff to the receptionist, all are friendly and polite.Wish this was in Shropshire. We would be there every week. Great walking from hotel grounds too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guildford
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Black Horse Inn was completely mixed, I was going to write two reviews, one for the hotel and one for the restaurant, but decided to merge them into one.

First, the hotel. The room was fine, we quite liked the little huts, but the night we were there the inn was putting on a wedding reception. This meant that finding a parking space was not easy and the very steep access road which our room was next to was constantly in use. Also, the bass of the music was a constant thud until around 11:15pm, I guess it's just luck if you'll be staying when an event was on, but it meant winding down wasn't easy. The room was clean, the shower was weak but acceptable and in the morning the breakfast was ok, but not stand out. For £100 for the night, I'd give it 3 stars.

We arrived around 2pm and couldn't check in straight away, so popped in for a light lunch. I had a ploughmans and my partner had a chicken and bacon mayo baguette. They were out of ham and replaced it with beef and pâté which although a strange combination was appreciated. However, the chicken and bacon mayo was 90% mayo and my partner could barely eat it, so I gave her some of my ploughmans.

After the hit and miss lunch we arranged to have dinner there and turned up in the evening. I ordered the special, a lamb shank with pea mash, baby beet root and baby carrots (£18)whereas my partner ordered the steak, chips, and onion rings with a side of peppercorn sauce(£21+£2).

These weren't cheap dishes, around £4-£8 more than other well reviewed pubs we have been to before, but after looking on trip advisor, we expected something good.

When the dishes turned up, I was disappointed. The steak was quite small, 7oz I think, and the lamb shank was slightly overcooked with little gravy and sitting on a thin layer of pea mash, barely a couple of tablespoons worth. Also, the baby beet roots had morphed into asparagus. After tasting my first mouthful of lamb shank however, it had a good flavour, but it was then I realised the bone was around 80% of the dish. Obviously I have had lamb shank before and realise that there is a large bone in the middle, but in this case there was a lot less meat than I expected.

My partner was very impressed with the flavour of the steak, but the chips were very average. However, the real disappointment came in the shape of the onion rings and peppercorn sauce. The rings were soggy, reheated from frozen, and although it came in a small jug, the peppercorn sauce barely covered the bottom, meaning when poured out it didn't cover the surface of the steak.

Frankly, we felt pretty ripped off. These two main courses in total cost just under £45 and although the meat tasted good, even for £15 less I think we would have overpaid. We did order a single dessert to share, a chocolate brownie which was very nice, but again at £7, it was £2 more than I'd expect for a decent pub dessert.

Overall, the light lunch, plus a dinner of two mains and a dessert came to around £85 including a few drinks, which felt really expensive for what we got. Although the meat and dessert quality were good, the price drops the experience to a low 2 stars.

A few more general points to finish with. The staff were generally excellent, very helpful, and being English, we didn't really feel like complaining about the price or amount of food. The pub itself is one of the prettiest I've ever visited, lovely just to pop in and feel the atmosphere. However, every time we sat in the pub, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner it was far too hot. In fact for breakfast I took a 5 min break to cool down.

It feels as if they are cashing in on the fact the building is beautiful and that reviewers on tripadvisor probably don't want to be seen to complain about price or portion size. Even though my sister lives around 5 minutes away, I don't think we'll be back which is a shame.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gothnak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurnham
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Maidstone Town Centre Hotel
Grange Moor Hotel
Grange Moor Hotel
#12 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!