“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thurnham
Chatham, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Spent one night here and would definitely like to return.The staff were friendly and very pleasant. The accommodation - stayed in the Lavender 'cabin'- was well appointed, clean and very comfortable. The food was excellent. Can't recommend the Black Horse enough. Roll on my next stay.

Room Tip: Any if they are all like Lavender
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while we visited Dover Castle and Leeds Castle. I booked two rooms(Family 2+2 and Triple). The rooms were very spacious and clean. I liked the bathroom having two separate sinks(a lower one for children + normal height for Adults)

The only negative I can think of is the shower is open. i.e. no glass around it. So after a shower the whole floor is wet and I had to dry the floor.

Otherwise our stay was great. The staff were very helpful and the food was amazing. The restaurant is quite popular and my advice is to book a table as early as possible.

I would definitely return and stay here again for future trips to the Kent area.

Room Tip: The Periwinkle and Rose rooms are near the top.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Swanley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here with eight friends to celebrate the New Year. We booked it months ago because we have eaten here a few times before and found the food to be of a high standard. We stayed in The Sweet William room. All rooms are very comfortable, well equipped and our room along with our friends was in a quiet position. We all agreed, this was on of our best New Year Eve's we have ever had.The food was just fabulous ( let's be honest, how many disappointing meals have we all had on NYE ?). The pub wasn't too crowded and there was a lovely atmosphere in there. The disco was excellent. Added to this and most important was the staff. As always they made the night. They were so friendly,professional and also great fun. We can't thank them enough for making our night so special. We can't recommend this place enough and look forward to returning soon.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brandon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend with friends. We did initially get lost from the M20, as our directions were to go along the A249 and then turn off, when in fact the turn for Detling was less than a few hundred yards from the M20. The road to the Black Horse is very narrow too, so beware if there is something coming the other way!!!!

The resturant was packed and it was a bit difficult to get round to the bar for a first drink. Too chilly to stay outside. OUr accommodation was in 'cabins' - wich are named after flowers. Very nicely appointed with all that you need, although to get the TV to work means using twio different remote controls!!! A word of warning, these cabins are built on to a slope. If any member of your party is diabled in some way, it is a bit of a hard walk, espeically if your cabin is at the bottom of the hill. I suppose one could ask for a cabin near the top, but we did not make the booking and were unaware of the position of the accommoation.

The food was okay but then I am quite a fussy eater - I just like plain simple food and a lot of itc came with dressings/sauces, etc. For various reasons we were unable to have breakfast, but I am told by my friends that it was more than adequate. If we were to stay again, it wold be with the proviso that we had one of the cabins at the top near the pub and not at the bottom.

Room Tip: If disabled/incapacitated in any way, get one of the cabins at the top
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sussexite
shrewsbury
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I found this place on the Internet ... We wanted an overnight, with our dog and somewhere near the shuttle.
The whole experience was pleasant, from calling to book.....through to booking a table where our dog was made welcome.

The room was a cottage annex and set in well lit grounds. It's bed was comfy and the room was warm. There was a lovely touch....instead of a bedside light it was a small table top Christmas tree.
There were lots of fluffy towels and the bed was comfy.
We ate in the bar, our steaks were done to perfection and the bar was very comforting with a log fir crackling in the corner,

This is a place I would defiantly stay again. A real find

Room Tip: Sweet William was our room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Black Horse Inn is historic at its core, no doubt providing rest and comfort to countless travellers on their ancient Canterbury Pilgrimage route and inside it doesn’t disappoint.

As much as I like contemporary style, I would be happy to spend some quality pub time in a cosy old chair with a pint of real ale and a paper just looking up occasionally to admire the ceiling of Kentish hops and enjoying the olde world charm of this characterful hostelry.

Unfortunately my stay was a very brief one night on business; by contrast the accommodation chalets had more of a holiday village feel about them than a B&B. This is not a criticism, merely an observation.

The service in I enjoyed in reception was friendly and relaxed both at check in and check out.

The Room was comfortable even though the floors throughout were my “pet hate” light wood laminate giving the room an undeserved austere feel but that is a very personal like/dislike; If I have a criticism it would be the TV which was very small and quite far away from the natural viewing position.

Great shower and good bathroom facilities and most importantly for the business traveller, the room was equipped with an Iron and Ironing Board.

My room was relatively distant from the Main Inn building but an umbrella was provided for when the weather was inclement, it's quite a steep uphill walk to dinner in the main building.(More about the Restaurant in the in my other guide).

The breakfast service was again friendly and efficient; I ordered the full English which was hot and quickly served. One egg; 1 bacon rasher; 1 sausage and 1 small field mushroom! The produce was reasonably good just needed to be a little more generous.

In my opinion, breakfast is the last impression you have of a B&B; good is not sufficient, it needs to be memorable even better if it’s a spectacular; very often it is what differentiates and in this respect I was a little disappointed.

Would I stay again, yes probably but there is stiff competition out there with some great privately owned B&B’s that offer a great value and quality; so my advice to the fine folks at the Black Horse Inn would be to check out what the opposition is up to and make sure you are one step ahead of the competition.

Sort out the Breakfast, make it a signature and a showcase of the best Kent produce and make it something we remember this lovely Inn for.

Room Tip: If you have problems with mobility, maybe ask for rooms that are near to the main Inn building, that...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nubiann
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed just one night but everything was no problem. We had an accessible family room that was perfect. Dinner was very good and breakfast was the best English breakfast we've had. I'd go back just for the breakfast! We would love to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Thekla924
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurnham
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#11 of 14 in Maidstone
Days Inn Maidstone
Days Inn Maidstone
#12 of 14 in Maidstone

Been to The Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!