“A good Choice”

The Black Horse Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Black Horse Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Thurnham
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestling in the picturesque North Downs it���s hard to believe that Maidstone is only a stones throw away from Thurnam���s Black Horse Inn. Looking from the outside like the most traditional pub in Britain ��� white washed, tile hung, sash windowed, sign swinging in the breeze ��� inside will come as no great shock. In winter you���ll find a roaring fire in the imposing brick fireplace, dried hops drape from the ceiling and antiquey dark wood is in abundance. In summer diners can head outside to a paradise of shadey pergolas, ponds and green lawn or eat in the conservatory. Homegrown produce is key in a sophisticated menu which combines traditionalism with contemporary dining with impressive results.
Swanley, United Kingdom
“A good Choice”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Sunday lunch with the visiting parents, a good place in a very nice location. The food was reasonably priced for the quality and the portion sizes were slightly large but almost perfect. I would recommend this pub, but book early as it was very popular.

The only reason the stars weren't better for service was because we had to ask three times for a jug of water and they took their time to bring the machine to pay. As for actual friendliness and professionalism the staff were good. They were busy hence the hold up/ potential forgetfulness, I guess.

Otherwise a great meal/place.

• Visited May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
“Overpriced”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner. Many items not available, hake, ribeye, liver. Opted for seafood sharing platter as a main, lemon squid and mackerel pate missing from plate, was informed squid was not available and had been replaced with a croquette , pate had been forgotten. Other main, a special chilli burger had very little chilli and we struggled to find the Brie that was intended as a topping! No garnish at all. Tasted ok but both courses very overpriced. First time eating there, will be the last. Also applied for their promotional discount scheme in the past but no reply to the request. Shame as great location following a long walk to get there .

“An amazing must visit pub/restaurant”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We opted to try here after recommendation of a friend. Well we where not disappointed. We entered the pub and the first thing I noticed was the great selection of real ales on the bar, there was a local (to the pub) breweries ale that I had not tried and without asking the bar staff asked if I would like to try. I think that this show that not only do they care for their customers they also understand the importance of well kept beers (and they are well kept) and showing the potential of them. The taster was great and I had a pint (or 2). We where then lead throughout to our table which was in a lovely conservatory type room with bags of atmosphere. The food was outstanding it was all hot, tasty, and everyone's arrived together. I had the Black Horse burger, the burger was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The deserts where all fantastic, I had the poached pear, it was refreshing and very tasty. Not one complaint from a large party on all 3 courses, which with my family is unheard of. All of the staff where great, they where attentive, nothing was too much to ask and made the whole experience amazingly wonderful. This place gives you value for money. A big congratulation to all at the Black Horse who make this a fantastic establishment! Hope to be back soon! Highly recommended *****

• Visited April 2014
“An amazing must visit pub/restaurant”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

London, United Kingdom
“A little more effort required”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Attended with a large party and enjoyed the ambiance .There is a lot of choice and specials on blackboards with both fish and meat dishes . The staff are friendly and helpful .Some people enjoyed their food , some found meals to have changes to dish described with no explanation , a number of people had cold food I.e mash potatoes , staff dealt with issue but left people eating part of dish until other part returned . No real apology or offer of recompense but things can go wrong and they did move to correct . I feel it is a shame as with a small amount of extra effort the food could have been really good as my fresh fish was really nice .

• Visited April 2014