Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Walnut
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$65
$80
$72
$59
$55
All reviewswafflesrv parkstay there againneeded a place to staygreat ownersbiscuits and gravyroom was cleancorn fieldsbreakfast itemsthe breakfast areawonderful stayhard boiled eggswater pressureoff the highwayfirst floorchecking incoffee maker
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family was traveling from South Dakota to Illinois on Saturday, July 20th. Around midnight we started to get tired and decided to stop in Council Bluffs, IA for the night. We tried everything available with no luck. Finally, after driving for another hour down the interstate we came across this hotel which had a room available. The only thing is that they charged us $149. The total came to $167.63 after tax. The check in clerk was friendly but as I pressed her for information as to why the price was so out of line she finally admitted that was orders per owner because of a special event taking place in Council Bluffs.

I understand that a hotel owner would want to make the largest profit possible, but come on! I seriously debated if we should try to make the hour or more drive to the next town but we were exhausted and didn't want to risk safety with our kids in the car. By this time it was already 2:17 AM and we didn't feel like we had a safe alternative.

The room was okay. Pleasant décor for an Econolodge with bright colors and modern fabric. Very basic. No swimming pool and we ended up missing the provided breakfast. Nothing else nearby but a gas station. Didn't feel like a valued guest and for this amount of money I would expect much more. Would never stay here again on principle just because I feel so ripped off. By the way, I checked the rates and sure enough they are only $75.99 this weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter and I were driving from Montana to Indiana. Around midnight in Sioux Falls, SD we started looking for a place to stop and get some sleep. No rooms anywhere. I was checking each town along the way and finally at 3:30am called this place and they were the first to have a vacancy. They charged $149. It was a Saturday night, and on investigation it appears if I booked the same room for this coming Saturday it would be $75. I feel they were taking advantage of someone who was in desparate need of a place to stay.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Beth W
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel is just off I 80. It is small but the room was very large and clean. Bed was comfortable. Quiet, no freeway noise. Typical breakfast with cereals, breads and waffle iron. No fresh fruit. For the nightly rate it was a very good bargain. Would stay again. The only drawback is lack of dining options nearby. Local bar lounge and McDonalds in gas station were only options.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ReeSue
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Although the breakfast was mainly highly concentrated carbs, no fruits and the coffee was water-down, my room, was large, clean (which is very important to me), but the drain in the bath tub was running slow; no smells, and polite but distant crew, for the price it was a good choice very close to downtown for "antiquing"

Room Tip: rooms with double beds are bigger then the ones with queen beds
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2012

If your traveling I-80 and do not want to go all the way to Des Moines Stop here in Walnut, Ia. and stay at the Econo-Lodge. I'm not sure about the negative reviews below but my stay was nice!!! You wouldn't think so by the outside but everything is refurbished, repainted, and very Nice!!!! We had two pets and they are very welcome....with a large grassy area for them to exercise.. So I say Stay!!! you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family