“BEST VACATION EVER!!!”

Yok Ha Resort
Sulphur Springs, Texas
“BEST VACATION EVER!!!”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband and I travelled to Yok Ha for our honeymoon. We stayed 7 nights in the Chaac cabana May 26-June 2. The stay was everything we had hoped for and MORE! If you want a good mixture of relaxation and adventure, Yok Ha is the place for you! If you prefer to be constantly pampered and enjoy all of the finest luxuries, you probably want to go to one of the bigger resorts. For us, it was absolutely perfect. We partook in several of the excursions: snorkeling, Xunantunich, and ATM Cave. We were not pressured to do the excursions, not in the slightest. The food was AMAZING, our cabana was cleaned very thoroughly daily, and we were treated exceedingly well. The staff is fabulous- I cannot say enough great things about the staff and the owners! Julie was also fantastic- she was very accomodating as a tour guide and in helping us sort out the details before our stay via e-mail. This was absolutely the best vacation of our lives! We hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Chaac has a wonderful view!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Kate W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Belize and stayed at Yok Ha. I cannot express how amazing it was. We signed up for the honeymoon suite, which was supposed to come with three dinners on our deck and a complimentary bottle of wine. However, we made such great friends that we wanted to dine with them every night! Everyone was so awesome...Wilfred and Abby (Mother hen), Pastor (our amazing boat captain), Brenda, Thomas, Angel, Marie, and Pablo, we miss you and can't wait to come back!

Kelly and David

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Ketrout
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I spent a week at Yok Ha, (April 8th-15th) and loved every minute of our trip. The staff is incredibly friendly and warm. We were genuinely sad to say good-bye when we left the island.

The island is gorgeous and surreal. 8 miles off the coast of Belize, you are very secluded. The waters around the island are perfect for snorkeling and kayaking. The trips out to the various reefs for snorkeling and spear fishing are well worth it, as are the fishing excursions trolling and drop fishing. The price of those trips are a fraction of what you pay in San Pedro.

I would recommend at least one day of grabbing a Belikin (or several) from the bar and reading a book on the beach. It's equally rewarding.

You get to have authentic Belizean food, rather than someone's impression of what they think American's want (which is what our San Pedro experience entailed.) It's not "fine dining," but it is consistently great. One meal of stuffed Barracuda stands out in my mind, with the fresh lobster a close second. Then, the beef stew -- and oh, forget it. It's all good. You will crave the hot sauce by the end of your stay.

If you are looking for a pampered, luxury resort, then this may not be the place for you. I would also add that if you do head elsewhere, you will miss out on an incredible experience. It was the single most relaxing vacation of both of our lives. How's that for flattery?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank nealholman
San Antonio
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This was the best, most refreshing & relaxing vacation ever. The staff is superb, wonderful & friendly. The island is beautiful and the food was perfection. The only bad thing was that we booked for 4 nights instead of 7. We didn't want to leave!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Romina F
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from 6 days at Yok Ha. Going to a new place you discover on the internet is always an uncertain feeling. We arrived with high hopes and were in no way disappointed. The staff was amazing, the location outstanding, the rooms were wonderful and the excursions were incredible. There were a couple of reviews that made us nervous in terms of travel safety across the ocean. By weeks end we left with great confidence in Pastor, the boat captain. We faced some rough seas but his capability to cross the rough seas was incredible.
We had high expectations and were never disappointed. Would definitely make a return visit!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank montyzane
Snow Camp, North Carolina
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We went to Yok Ha Resort in December and had a great time.

We had to wait four hours to go out to the island which was a bit long. The place we waited did need work and did not have a working bathroom. However, when we mentioned we had not eaten since early morning they kindly took us to get something to eat.

I read some of the reviews of some of the boat trip when the engines died. We were also on the boat. The boat is I believe is called a panga and is extremely stable. Weather was bad but I don't think we were in any danger. It was not good both engines stopped and I was concerned about getting swamped.

The resort is small but wonderful. That is what we went for! The rooms are nice and we had a room right on the ocean. It was wonderful to sit in the hammock, read a book and look at the ocean.

The mangroves and lagoons are incredible. I like to kayak and have kayaked for eighteen years and the kayaks they have are fine. Someone mentioned they didn't have sea kayaks. I don't think it is safe to put people that have not kayaked in sea kayaks. Sit-on-tops are fine and safer. My husband swam to many of the near islands while I kayaked.

You can snorkel right off the dock and there are some small reefs not far to swim to.

We went on the island/bottle tour which we enjoyed. We also went to Tikal in Guatemala which is incredible. It is a long drive and long day but well worth the trip.

Staff is so warm, friendly and helpful. Food was wonderful, and we ate fresh fish caught that day.

Weather was great and we enjoyed ourselves very much.

The Shepard family

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shepard_Family
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband and I have not taken a real “vacation” for 9 years. When we started looking around we knew we wanted relaxing and we wanted snorkeling. When we found Yok Ha we knew we had found our dream island and we were right. As soon as we booked it Julie was in email contact with us for lining up the Tropic Air flight from Belize and helping with lodging in Dangriga the night before we departed for the island. I was amazed at how helpful she was. Abigail came to get us at Pelican Beach (which I would also recommend if you need to spend the night in Dangriga) and brought us to the dock to meet the boat.
I will stop here and say that Dangriga is an unusual town. If you are looking for touristy, this is not the place. The Pelican Beach Resort, while the PERFECT hotel for my husband and I, is not a Marriott. It is rustic and charming and exactly what we love. We walked around Dangriga for most of Sunday, when it’s very quiet…most, if not all, businesses are closed, and Monday morning when it was very alive with the hustle and bustle of a small town with markets. The only other non-Belizean people we saw were Missionaries at one of the local Methodist schools. We were enthralled with Dangriga and loved everything about it.
Our departure for the island was so exciting! Pastor drove the boat and Wilfred was also on board as we headed out to the island. We admittedly lucked out on weather. It was sunny and beautiful our entire six days there. We were given life jackets which we set on the floor and enjoyed the short trip out there. As we pulled up it was just as the pictures showed. Breathtaking. We got out onto the dock and they brought our luggage to our cabana. We went into the main dining hall where fancy glasses of punch awaited us. Bliss. We headed to our cabana to add some of the Belizean rum we had picked up at the grocery store in town (may I recommend the Kuknut coconut rum? My husband preferred the spiced Caribbean rum). We had read previous reviews and brought our own rum, though they make amazing drinks at the bar (try the slippery banana…a specialty of Wilfred’s!) We also purchased many a Beliken beer.
The people of Yok Ha are amazing. Get to know them. If Suzanne happens to be there in the kitchen get her to laugh. I still smile when I think of all of them. They will treat you like family if you let them. Or, if you prefer to keep to yourself they will honor that as well. You can be in bed early to get ready for a snorkeling adventure or hang out with them after dinner…it’s up to you. This vacation, like life, will be what you make it. We loved listening to their music, trying to learn some dance moves, and learning some of their language. We even came back to the states with some new ideas for cooking! Those women can COOK. Each meal was amazing. I couldn’t wait to see what awaited us at meal time. It was such a special treat each time.
There is a lot of snorkeling right off the island. Right out front or to the side in front of LOA, or on the sand bar to the east. Wilfred has put together some “excursions”…I would recommend taking a few. They took us snorkeling to two different reefs and then my husband went out lobster “fishing” with a group one day. It seemed a little difficult to pay for excursions on top of the room/food fee, but in talking to people at the Belize City airport when we were leaving it sounds as though we got a great deal…resorts in Ambergis Caye and Caye Caulker charge much more and they aren’t as small and personal. Actually, at the airport we were really congratulating ourselves on our choice of vacation. Both of the more popular destinations we heard about sounded cramped, dirty, and expensive.
With only five cabanas we really enjoyed the solitude of the island, as well as the other four couples that were staying there with us. One snorkeling adventure took us past Tobacco Caye where there are three resorts on one tiny little island. Yok Ha is certainly a jewel.
I had brought some cards and a cribbage board in case it rained a lot, but like I said, we were blessed with beautiful weather. We did play cards one night with everyone in the dining hut, but they have games and books for use there.
I would recommend Wilfred and Abigail’s lovely island resort to anyone who is looking for a tropical paradise. If you are looking for nightlife or experiencing different restaurants you can balance out your trip by spending time in San Ignacio. We went there for the second half of our Belize vacation and had a completely different experience. But, when people ask me what my favorite part of the vacation was, I always say the island and people of Yok Ha.

Room Tip: We stayed in the LOA and loved it, but all of the cabanas were lovely.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Yok Ha Resort? Share your experiences!