“Great time at Yok Ha!”
Review of Yok Ha Resort

Yok Ha Resort
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from 6 days at Yok Ha. Going to a new place you discover on the internet is always an uncertain feeling. We arrived with high hopes and were in no way disappointed. The staff was amazing, the location outstanding, the rooms were wonderful and the excursions were incredible. There were a couple of reviews that made us nervous in terms of travel safety across the ocean. By weeks end we left with great confidence in Pastor, the boat captain. We faced some rough seas but his capability to cross the rough seas was incredible.
We had high expectations and were never disappointed. Would definitely make a return visit!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank montyzane

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We went to Yok Ha Resort in December and had a great time.

We had to wait four hours to go out to the island which was a bit long. The place we waited did need work and did not have a working bathroom. However, when we mentioned we had not eaten since early morning they kindly took us to get something to eat.

I read some of the reviews of some of the boat trip when the engines died. We were also on the boat. The boat is I believe is called a panga and is extremely stable. Weather was bad but I don't think we were in any danger. It was not good both engines stopped and I was concerned about getting swamped.

The resort is small but wonderful. That is what we went for! The rooms are nice and we had a room right on the ocean. It was wonderful to sit in the hammock, read a book and look at the ocean.

The mangroves and lagoons are incredible. I like to kayak and have kayaked for eighteen years and the kayaks they have are fine. Someone mentioned they didn't have sea kayaks. I don't think it is safe to put people that have not kayaked in sea kayaks. Sit-on-tops are fine and safer. My husband swam to many of the near islands while I kayaked.

You can snorkel right off the dock and there are some small reefs not far to swim to.

We went on the island/bottle tour which we enjoyed. We also went to Tikal in Guatemala which is incredible. It is a long drive and long day but well worth the trip.

Staff is so warm, friendly and helpful. Food was wonderful, and we ate fresh fish caught that day.

Weather was great and we enjoyed ourselves very much.

The Shepard family

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shepard_Family
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband and I have not taken a real “vacation” for 9 years. When we started looking around we knew we wanted relaxing and we wanted snorkeling. When we found Yok Ha we knew we had found our dream island and we were right. As soon as we booked it Julie was in email contact with us for lining up the Tropic Air flight from Belize and helping with lodging in Dangriga the night before we departed for the island. I was amazed at how helpful she was. Abigail came to get us at Pelican Beach (which I would also recommend if you need to spend the night in Dangriga) and brought us to the dock to meet the boat.
I will stop here and say that Dangriga is an unusual town. If you are looking for touristy, this is not the place. The Pelican Beach Resort, while the PERFECT hotel for my husband and I, is not a Marriott. It is rustic and charming and exactly what we love. We walked around Dangriga for most of Sunday, when it’s very quiet…most, if not all, businesses are closed, and Monday morning when it was very alive with the hustle and bustle of a small town with markets. The only other non-Belizean people we saw were Missionaries at one of the local Methodist schools. We were enthralled with Dangriga and loved everything about it.
Our departure for the island was so exciting! Pastor drove the boat and Wilfred was also on board as we headed out to the island. We admittedly lucked out on weather. It was sunny and beautiful our entire six days there. We were given life jackets which we set on the floor and enjoyed the short trip out there. As we pulled up it was just as the pictures showed. Breathtaking. We got out onto the dock and they brought our luggage to our cabana. We went into the main dining hall where fancy glasses of punch awaited us. Bliss. We headed to our cabana to add some of the Belizean rum we had picked up at the grocery store in town (may I recommend the Kuknut coconut rum? My husband preferred the spiced Caribbean rum). We had read previous reviews and brought our own rum, though they make amazing drinks at the bar (try the slippery banana…a specialty of Wilfred’s!) We also purchased many a Beliken beer.
The people of Yok Ha are amazing. Get to know them. If Suzanne happens to be there in the kitchen get her to laugh. I still smile when I think of all of them. They will treat you like family if you let them. Or, if you prefer to keep to yourself they will honor that as well. You can be in bed early to get ready for a snorkeling adventure or hang out with them after dinner…it’s up to you. This vacation, like life, will be what you make it. We loved listening to their music, trying to learn some dance moves, and learning some of their language. We even came back to the states with some new ideas for cooking! Those women can COOK. Each meal was amazing. I couldn’t wait to see what awaited us at meal time. It was such a special treat each time.
There is a lot of snorkeling right off the island. Right out front or to the side in front of LOA, or on the sand bar to the east. Wilfred has put together some “excursions”…I would recommend taking a few. They took us snorkeling to two different reefs and then my husband went out lobster “fishing” with a group one day. It seemed a little difficult to pay for excursions on top of the room/food fee, but in talking to people at the Belize City airport when we were leaving it sounds as though we got a great deal…resorts in Ambergis Caye and Caye Caulker charge much more and they aren’t as small and personal. Actually, at the airport we were really congratulating ourselves on our choice of vacation. Both of the more popular destinations we heard about sounded cramped, dirty, and expensive.
With only five cabanas we really enjoyed the solitude of the island, as well as the other four couples that were staying there with us. One snorkeling adventure took us past Tobacco Caye where there are three resorts on one tiny little island. Yok Ha is certainly a jewel.
I had brought some cards and a cribbage board in case it rained a lot, but like I said, we were blessed with beautiful weather. We did play cards one night with everyone in the dining hut, but they have games and books for use there.
I would recommend Wilfred and Abigail’s lovely island resort to anyone who is looking for a tropical paradise. If you are looking for nightlife or experiencing different restaurants you can balance out your trip by spending time in San Ignacio. We went there for the second half of our Belize vacation and had a completely different experience. But, when people ask me what my favorite part of the vacation was, I always say the island and people of Yok Ha.

Room Tip: We stayed in the LOA and loved it, but all of the cabanas were lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RunHopSkip
Reviewed February 11, 2014

After spending 7 nights and 8 days at Yok Ha Resort I have nothing but amazing things to say. When I purchased the trip on Groupon, I had no idea what to expect but Julie (the resorts booking agent) was extremely helpful and was able to answer any questions that I had.

When my boyfriend and I arrived in Belize City we took a little hopper flight to Dangriga which was only about a 15 minute flight. Once we touched down in Dangriga, Abigail (her and her husband Wilfred own the resort) was waiting to take us on a less than 5 minute drive to the boat dock where Pastor (the boat captain) was waiting to take us out to the island. Pastor instantly handed us life jackets and we were on our way. The ride out to the island was fun and only took about 20 minutes. Once we pulled up the dock at Yok Ha Resort, we were greeted by Wilfred (the owner) and during our check in process, Presca (the bartender) handed us welcome drinks which was a non-acloholic tropical punch that was delicious.

The island was everything we wanted - It was small but absolutely beautiful and so peaceful. Every meal was excellent -- They served breakfast between the hours of 7:30am - 9:30am, lunch was served between 12:30pm - 2:30pm and dinner was served from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Never once were we unhappy with a meal and throughout the day they would have some sort of pastry set out. We did bring some of our own bottles of booze along but also took advantage of their well stocked bar.

The island was well kept and cleaned daily and the staff members went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable. Wilfred offers a wide variety of excursions that were all reasonably priced. We went out to the Belize Barrier Reef for a snorkeling trip and got to see all sorts of cool sea life. They also provide free use of snorkel gear and kayaks around the island for daily use.

Our overall experience was outstanding and we couldn't have gotten any luckier with the weather. But, even on the one rainy day, we were able to keep ourselves busy. Our only recommendations would be: bring bug spray (if there's no breeze, the bugs can be an annoyance), bring your own refillable water bottle, bring water shoes, pick up snack food in town if you're a snacker AND make sure to try the Marie Sharps hot sauce (you won't be disappointed)!!!!!

Thank you again to all of the staff members for an unforgettable trip. We will certainly be back -- Hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I didn't know what to expect, all the warnings of Belize being a 3rd world country. When we landed in Dangriga I thought, "what the hell am I doing here". I have walked out of many hotels because it was not up to my standards as far as cleanliness, or lack of hospitality, this was going to be a challenge for me, trying to keep a smile on for my husband, very much the outdoor's type. We first met Willfred, he drove us to the dock where we met Pastor, Marlin, and Thomas. We waited around for about an hour, for Willfred to return with supplies and Abby, his wife. Anyone who knows me would think that right there would have done it. The hour flew by, great conversation and some Belize history. We took a 20 min. boat ride (that Pastor did in 7 min.) in an open, not fancy fishing looking boat. A very fast, hold on tight, boat ride. Just to be clear I mean that in a good way, I loved it. When we got to the island I instantly fell in love with it. Beautiful, private, and the room, Spotless. It just kept getting better. Marlin makes a great Pina Colada, Celeste..... I love her, she could probably cook a tire and it would taste delicious. Thanks to Thomas, the island was so clean I didn't wear shoes my whole vacation. Willfred and Abby have 2 young boys, so smart, and respectful, they taught us so much about the wildlife. Everyone at Yok Ha treated us like family, even the dog, that My Husband let loose, not me. We are going back, I can't wait... if all works out, I'll be on my hammac with a drink real soon.

Room Tip: Chaac.... great view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank krstdgrgr
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Like many of us, my time off from work is limited and so I must choose my vacation destinations carefully. We booked a Groupon trip to Yok Ha "Resort" in December 2013. It was suppose to be after the rain season but unfortunately, the official "rain season" that was to end by November was a dry season...which leant Mother Nature to release her torrential rains upon us in mid December during our trip. We met the driver of our boat, Winnifred Prescott, who also happened to be the resort's owner, at the small flat bottom skiff fishing boat after his wife picked us up 50 min late from our hotel. We were schedule to depart to our island retreat at 2pm but we weren't even picked up from the hotel until 2:50pm. After she dropped us off at the boat in the rain, we were told that we had to wait while Winnifred and his wife continued to gather supplies to take to the island. This took nearly another hour. We were told that we could wait inside their office that resembled an abandoned run down gas station that leaked rain water inside, had no working toilet and no chairs on which to sit in the dirty wet unkempt lineoleum room. It was cold, filthy and not a charming first impression of what we were about to embark upon. Because it had been raining and storm season was in full swing, the ocean was choppy and the waves and swells were big. It was an unnerving 8 mile ride to Waterfoot Caye Yok Ha Resort. Once to shore, the dining room and bar were a most welcomed site. It was colorful, pretty and inviting. However, the windows in the dining rooms and most of the cabins leaked due to the poor quality of the-contractors-torrential rains had been thrust upon the region and Winnifred stated that he needed to get all of the leaking windows fixed. He stated that the contractors put up the 5 cabins and dining area within 6 weeks in order for him to open the resort. There were issues with the plumbing, toilets and rain water leaking through the windows. Had these things been working properly, the 4 mile island (of which about 1/4 mile had been developed and was accessible to walk and take out subpar kayaks), the island could have been considered a respite for those who wanted only to lay on a beach or swing in their hammock on the porch of their cabin for the duration. Our cabin did not have any porch chairs. We were one of 2 couples on the island at this time and there were 3 other empty cabins which all had porch chairs on them. When I asked Winnifred if we could get 2 porch chairs for our cabin, he stated that yes he would get them and then proceeded to walk into the dining hall, sit down and began eating and reading a newspaper. We had to find someone else to bring us chairs so that we could sit on our porch. We learned that 4 people were required to book an excursion together before we could go ashore so we had to confer with the one other couple and agree to visit the same excursion. We would have been out of luck if we wanted to go to a reef and another couple wanted to go to Mayan Ruins. There was only 1 boat available during our VACATION. The rains were torrential in the mornings and night. We had 1 opportunity to go ashore with the other couple that we had chosen to visit the Mayan Ruins. Winnifred told us that we would have to leave by 07:30 am to take the usual 30-min boat ride ashore (in calm conditions) and drive 2-hours to Cahal Pech Mayan Ruins. Because of the torrential rains and stormy sea we could not leave shore in the morning. We were content to remain safe, stay in our cabin and read for the day. However, at 10:30am Winnifred announced that the trip was "on" to the ruins. We were all stunned and concerned because the sea swells were large and another storm was on the way AND we were getting a 3-hour late start. Not only that, it turned out that the drive was 3-hr, not 2-hr like he told us. This meant that we would have to be crossing a stormy sea in the dark. We almost had Winnifred turn the boat around 3 times on our way to shore because of the frightening swells. We made it to mainland Belize after a frightening hour+ long ride in the swells. We heard his wife calling numerous times beginning shortly after 2pm to inquire our whereabouts because there was another couple stranded at their makeshift gas station office awaiting their 2pm departure to Yok Ha. We were still touring the ruins at that time and then we were going to an authentic mayan restaurant for lunch before we embarked upon our 3-hr ride back to the boat to meet the waiting couple. Winifred kept telling his wife to tell the waiting couple that we would be back soon. We didn't get back to the boat until 6pm. The couple had to wait 4-hr in their unsuitable cold wet "room" that had 1 plastic bucket that they used for a chair. It was now dark. Our boat was an open skiff with no lights, no emergency radio and our driver, Winnifred, we later found out did not have a boating pilot's license to operate a passenger boat. The swells were big even in our river inlet. His wife asked if we wanted to wait awhile before trying to go out to sea. Winnifred said that we would be fine and he took us out into the eery angry waters now having to navigate long tree logs at the rivers inlet from the sea in the dark. When we got nearly a mile off the coast, on of Winnifred's outboard motor's died, leaving us with minimal power in these already overpowering waves. At that point I stood up and spoke for the 6 of us passengers to demand that we turn around because we still had 7 miles to go if we headed for the island and the sea would get worse the farther out we ventured. I began sailing in 1990. I sail in the San Francisco Bay and Greece and we have NEVER gone out in such dangerous conditions. I acquired my bareboat cruising license through US Sailing and have taken coastal cruise course as well. When I asked Winnifred to alert the coastguard to come help us, he refused. He did, however, turn the boat around in the 15 ft swells at which point his other engine went out. We were now powerless 1 mile from the coast in a stormy sea with no lights, no emergency radio, no beacon and a captain who refused to call the coastguard. There were NO other boats in the water that night. We later found out that the reason that he didn't call the coastguard was because he didn't have a license to operate the boat and he would have gotten fined. He finally called his wife to alert her family member to come out to rescue us. The family member at first didn't heed the call because, as he told us, he thought that the wife was joking....no one would be out in that water that night. In fact, they cancelled an outing because of the weather. Winnifred was silent during this time after he told us they were coming when really they hadn't even left shore for more than 25min from his call. They finally reached us after about an hour and they towed us back to shore. They said that they used to have the type of boat engines that Winnifred was using on our passenger boat but they bought better engines because the engines that Winnifred was using were known to stall, break down and be unreliable. We would have died in the sea that night if we didn't get towed back to shore. Winnifred refused to alert the coastguard because he didn't want to get fined and perhaps have his business shutdown for dangerous operations. Winnifred may retort that the waves were not that bad in which case I ask any reader to check out the weather in Belize Cayes December 19, 2013. I have reported this incident to the Belize coastguard. Bottom line: We should have never gone out in such dangerous conditions but Winnifred wanted to collect our excursion fees to the ruins and he risked everyone's life,even his own, for that few hundred dollars. I gave this review 2 stars instead of 1 because I took into account the adverse weather conditions that were cast upon us that were not in anyone's control. It was how the owner of the "resort" chose to handle the weather situation that became life endangering to his guests.The island getaway was pretty albeit very remote and lacked sufficient amenities to supplement on shore excursions for more than 1 trip per day. The kayaks for use on the island were not sea kayaks. Our room on the island was clean, sleep quality good. There is important work to be done, a licensed boat pilot and proper excursion boat to be added to make this "resort" a relaxing and safe getaway. Unfortunately for us, I have not embellished or exaggerated the danger we experienced on this excursion that nearly cost us our life.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
53  Thank heidi c
BelizeanChik, Owner at Yok Ha Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

We pride ourselves in dedicated, personal treatment of ALL our guests. I am sure that "washing" your bill as requested at checkout would have avoided all this back and forth between you and your partner Lynne. The details you present are certainly a distortion of the truth:
1. my name is not Winnifred Prescott.
2. there is no way this establishment could have been constructed in six(6) weeks!!
3. the choice to make the trip was done by another couple as they really wanted to see the ruins.
4. the weather was the same state the entire day and we made it to shore that morning (not 15 ft waves and no loss of life).
5. plastic bucket for a chair ...honestly?....come on !!
and so on....

We will allow the many reviews of fair and honest guests to prevail and ask that anybody reading this review to compare with that done by your companion Lynne R, Reviewed December 30, 2013.

Wilfred Pascascio
Owner
Yok Ha Resort

Reviewed February 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled to Yok Ha last week with a Groupon deal and it was everything we could've hoped for and more. Upon arriving into Belize City airport and taking Tropic Air (12 seater) flight to Dangriga - Willfred (the resort owner) was waiting for us when we landed. He had to make a pit stop to pick up some supplies for the island. We could have gone in the store with him to purchase any alcohol or anything else we needed, but since we had Duty Free we did not need to.

After about a 5-8 minute car ride, we were at the boat dock where 2 other couples were waiting for us to go back to the island. We took the 25 minute boat ride and arrived to paradise. Upon arrival, Marlin gave us some delicious punch and we got settled our cabana (Chaac) which was outfitted with island touches, a king sized bed, a lovely bathroom AND A/C (luxury!). Outside was an oceanfront deck with two chairs and a hammock. We instantly became relaxed.

We chose to go on a horseback riding excursion the next day with 2 other couples ($108/USD/person) and after the boat ride and 40 minute drive we arrived at a large 5,000 acre farm. We rode through the jungle and citrus orchards and had a wonderful experience. Willfred and his wife Abby even went with us (as they had not experienced that specific excursion and wanted to make sure they could provide details and information to future visitors wanting to do that). We rode for almost 4 hours, with a stop at the Sittee River for a quick swim (for us, not the horses). It was a full day experience and absolutely wonderful.

The next day we did a snorkeling trip to the Belize Barrier Reef ($65/USD/person) with all 3 other couples on the island with us. The water was quite choppy and the current was strong, but after getting accustomed to the water we were able to see some manta rays, a variety of fish, and a lot of coral. We had a really good time (despite some troubles with the currents - which was totally mother nature), but I was happy to be back on stable ground when we returned to the island!

The food was wonderful and we were able to eat whenever we chose (in the 2 hour timeframe - 7:30-9:30 for breakfast, 12:30-2:30 (i think) for lunch, and 6:30-8:30 for dinner). We sampled lobster, fish, pork, beef, and more. We had more than enough food and never went hungry. If you were hungrier than usual and wanted second helpings, the staff was sure to accommodate.

At night, we spent our time in the main building having drinks with the other couples, sitting out on the dock chatting, and dancing with the staff!! The nighttime is experience is one we certainly would not have had at a more 'corporate' type resort.

Overall I really couldn't have asked for a better experience. The staff really made sure that everything was taken care of all the time. I did not feel anyone was trying to push anything (i.e. drinks/excursions) and we were really in charge of what we did 100% of the time. I would recommend this trip to absolutely anyone wanting a unique and relaxing experience on a remote island paradise!!

Tips - purchase alcohol through duty free or at the grocery store in Dangriga to avoid those charges on the island, bring bug spray (when the breeze dies down the gnats are out to play), bring water bottles (the staff is happy to fill them with clean water at your request), if you want to horseback ride, make sure you have long sleeves/pants/sneakers

Room Tip: Chaac faces the sunrise, which was amazing to wake up to each morning. It is right on the water'...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay
Belizean Dreams Resort
Belizean Dreams Resort
#2 of 14 in Hopkins

Been to Yok Ha Resort? Share your experiences!