“Villisca”

Villisca Ax Murder House
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Villisca
More attraction details
Owner description: The Moore house in Villisca was the site of eight axe murders in 1912.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

no ghost we went during the day just me my mom, and my dad. the rooms were all cleaned, the house looked just like it does in the countless videos about it. the owner Martha was GREAT she me and my mom felt WERE accurate on what all transpired in 1912 wish we could've met Darwin R.I.P but if I had one thing to change it would probably be the location see we live in Marengo, Iowa and from here it's about 4-ish hours give or take and me and my respite provider will be spending the night there come may...hopefully maybe sooner and I am not expecting but I would prefer if the house is a lot more active then what it was during our day tour

1  Thank Tyler W
There are newer reviews for Villisca Ax Murder House

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We did the overnight stay at the house and there were nine of us. We had a great time and captured some good pics with orbs and partial distortions. We were talking to the spirits upstairs and heard scratching on the attic door, we think we heard something on the recordings we took but we have yet to clean it up to know for sure. We had set up in different areas of the house things such as blocks and balls to see if they would be disturbed, but nothing happend. Batteries drained quickly on cameras and phones and even my nook. There are bibles everywhere in that house. Few things that you should know though.
There is one extention cord to charge things up that is found in the room downstairs where the Stillinger girls were found. There is an AC/Heating unit that is in the same room and also one upstairs. The barn outback is where the bathroom is, no shower, and there is an upstairs with a tv to play videos of the house and experiences, that is if you want to sit up there at night. Really creepy. No smoking in the house, no water, or other electricity access, and no sleeping on the furniture. Wheelchair access to the main floor only. I would advise to bring air matresses or cots because that floor is hard. 2 of us slept in the kitchen and the other 7 stayed in the livingroom which was really tight. I wonder why no one wanted to sleep upstairs??? Hmmmmm.

7  Thank mouzer00
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friend and I recently took the tour. I was completely familiar with the history of the murders and the house, so the tour guide couldn't tell me much more? Fortunately, we were the only 2 people on the tour that day! We were able to just sit in the living room after the tour guide left us to tour the house by ourselves. Unfortunately nothing happened spirit wise? I took quite a few pictures inside and outside of the house, but they got somehow deleted off of my memory card in my camera! I will definately take the tour again some day!

1  Thank James E
A TripAdvisor Member
Omaha, NE
Reviewed May 20, 2003

As someone who has both studied the history of the Villisca murders and have written on them, I found the Moore House and the tour of the Olson-Linn Museum quite interesting, as well as accurately portraying the historical events surrounding the crime. Granted, there is nothing "fancy" about the tour or the house and the tour is not professionally "polished" but I found that refreshing. I believe it's a GREAT way to spend an afternoon and a perfect car trip if you live in the midwest.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2002

I expected more from the tour of this historical site. After having studied the murder case and finally getting a chance to see the house, I was surprised that the "museum curator" was so inaccurate, and sensational in his account of what took place in June of 1912, and beyond. If you are into "carnival haunted houses", you might find a curious stop(emphasis on "might"). If you are expecting a presentation with historical depth, save your money. The antiques in the house were nice--so I'll give it a 2.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member