“Do not stay here”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Creston, Iowa
“Do not stay here”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Worst Super 8 we have ever been so unfortunate to stay at!!!! Really needs an upgrade all around. Room had very bad odor of musty dirty, carpet needed replaced, vanity stained and in bad repair, and breakfast bar was worst we've ever had thank god for close restaurants. This is the 1st time I have ever taken time to review a hotel all I can say is do not even consider this property

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Where to start? We were in town for the IMT Des Moines Marathon, and decided to stay in Urbandale as the prices were much more reasonable and the area was not sold out. The price for a single night was very reasonable, considering location to downtown (15 minutes), free breakfast & free wifi. It is a small hotel and sound REALLY travels. We stayed on the top floor to avoid any noise from above, but the people next door were up all night partying and we could hear every single thing. It took a few calls to the front desk to get them to do anything about the noise complaint. However, the rowdy guests are not wholly their responsibility. Anyway, it was an easy place to get to and it was a bit rundown, but at least clean. For just one night, it fit the bill.

Room Tip: Thin walls & ceiling- make sure to stay on the top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Somewhere
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Bed was slightly damp
All rooms around us had no smoking signs but hotel strongly smelled of smoke
Slept in chair as bed did not look safe
Stains on carpet
No water pressure
Rooms stink
Room is outdated
Room keys didn't work at first
Generally looked unclean
Bathroom was tiny
Like no outlets
Mini fridge is nonexistent
Everything was unplugged when I arrived in the room

Room Tip: Just don't go here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Alliance, Nebraska
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My mom and I checked in at about 9:30 pm. I fell asleep around midnight. My mom woke me up screaming that there were bedbugs in the room. She was stretched out on the bed with her laptop and saw something crawling towards her on the bed. She killed it and blood was on the sheets from the bed bug. I called the front desk and asked the front desk person to come up, and the worker never came up. I waited out in the hallway and my mom went down to get someone only to be informed that there was a spill on the front desk and it had to be taken care of. He did offer to give us another room, and my mom declined. My mom started walking away and he said "What else can go wrong tonight?" (The fire alarm sounded a few times that night as well. They told me that it was a fire alarm that was hard to reset. I had called the front desk to see if it was really a fire or what was going on.)
Since the staff member would not come and check out the problem, I brought a live bed bug down and showed her. I talked to her for a little bit. I was crying and upset. I had driven 14 hours that day and was exhausted. I did apologize to her for being upset. She said that she would feel the same way if she was me. She was a nice lady. The man that night was rude.
We called the manager Manny the next day and he said that those things happen. He did say he would talk to the one staff member about his rude behavior.
I did call a 1-800 number that night and spoke with a nice lady and she gave me the number to corporate. I will call them Monday.
Other than the bed bugs, the room was mostly clean- just out of date, beds comfortable, pillows were crappy. Didn't try much else out since I was snoozing.

Room Tip: Go to Atlantic, IA and check out American Value Inn. Not luxury, but very clean, and very friendly...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 433angiem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbandale
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#10 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Super 8 Urbandale/Des Moines Area? Share your experiences!