“Price was right...”

Super 8 Urbandale/Des Moines Area
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The room was clean, quiet and bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean, had a heat lamp and the shower was strong...but kind of short for someone over 6 feet tall. Still, for the price it was well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Manny and the other staff were pleasant and very helpful. Before we arrived, we requested a room on the first floor and close to the entrance; we couldn’t have been happier with the placement of our room. The room was great – the lighting, desk space and outlets available exceeded our expectations. Our stay was for five days; we found the dresser and especially the wardrobe closet were great. The wardrobe closet was deep enough to store our suitcases. The bed and the chairs were very comfortable. The cost of our stay was a real bargain. We will be returning to the Des Moines area again in September 2013; we will stay at the Super 8 in Urbandale.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2012

we stayed here last friday and during the night we found our room infested wthh black bugs.The manager seemed to think this was OK and that our room was the only one with a bug problem,but my son was also staying there and found bugs in his room. we had been driving all day and there was nowhere in Indianola to go and we were there for a funeral  on Saturday so we stayed until morning.When I asked to unreserve our rooms for Saturday they were reluctant to give our money back(we had paid for two nights in advance) This was really awful and I would have thought they would have given us our money back for both nights.The health department should shut this motel down!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here one night while on vacation in Des Moines. We arrived a day early and couldn't get into out reserved hotel so we decided to stay here. I have stayed at many Super 8 hotels and they have all been very nice. This hotel is not! The only good thing I can say is that upon checking in the front desk clerk was friendly. The hotel room was not very clean, there was a hole in the comforter, what looked to be remains of a smushed bug on the wall, there were no cups and no trash liners. I went to the desk to ask for trash liners and the lady said they do not use them, they just clean the garbage cans everyday. I find that very odd....trying to cut cost I guess. After we had been in the room awhile I noticed my daughters feet were very dirty on the bottom so I got to looking at all of our feet and they were almost black on the bottom from walking around in the hotel room. When I took a shower the next morning I put my flip flops on as soon as I got out of the shower so that they did not get all dirty again. The pool was out of service during our stay and there was hardly anything to eat for breakfast. I am not a picky person, I have stayed at some pretty cheap hotels but the one thing this hotel is missing is that no one is taking any pride in the way the place is run or kept up. If I were Super 8, I would get my name off of this hotel. We will never stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were traveling with 2 dogs and stayed here. Pet fee was $5 per night per pet. Not a place I'd really choose to stay if I didn't have the pets.

Pros:
Friendly staff
indoor pool
Easy access to the outside but not a lot of area to walk dogs. Better to take them down the street into the residential area adjacent to the property.

Cons:
Older property and not very well maintained
Room not real clean, i.e., pee splatters in front of toilet, massive dust collection on a weird looking wall outlet over by the desk
Breakfast was meager at best

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Called for reservations and asked if they had a pool and they said yes. We arrived and they told us the pool didn't open until 5, which was odd since the sign said it was opened all day. We waited and went down to swim with our kids. The pool was full of families with their children. The next morning to our surprise when we went to take the kids swimming again and found a sign on the pool door stating.."CLOSED By order of the Polk County Board of Health" We called the number that was on the sign and talk to the inspector that closed the pool down. The inspector was surprised to hear that the hotel was still allowing people to swim knowing the the health department closed the pool weeks ago. What kind of manager would ask your employees to take down that sign at night knowing the inspectors don't come out after 5 and to put the sign back up late at night or first thing in the morning. How do you sleep at night knowing you can be making people sick?!?!?!?! Just plain ridiculous. When walking in the room it also smelled funny. There were also burn holes in the comforters and blankets. This was the worst experience I have had at a hotel. Now I have to worry about if my family is going to get sick from someone's lack of morals. I am very much disgusted with this place and will NEVER stay at a Super 8 again!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose Super 8!!!!!!!