“Violator of health department...Never will stay at a Super 8 again!!!”

Super 8 Urbandale/Des Moines Area
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Called for reservations and asked if they had a pool and they said yes. We arrived and they told us the pool didn't open until 5, which was odd since the sign said it was opened all day. We waited and went down to swim with our kids. The pool was full of families with their children. The next morning to our surprise when we went to take the kids swimming again and found a sign on the pool door stating.."CLOSED By order of the Polk County Board of Health" We called the number that was on the sign and talk to the inspector that closed the pool down. The inspector was surprised to hear that the hotel was still allowing people to swim knowing the the health department closed the pool weeks ago. What kind of manager would ask your employees to take down that sign at night knowing the inspectors don't come out after 5 and to put the sign back up late at night or first thing in the morning. How do you sleep at night knowing you can be making people sick?!?!?!?! Just plain ridiculous. When walking in the room it also smelled funny. There were also burn holes in the comforters and blankets. This was the worst experience I have had at a hotel. Now I have to worry about if my family is going to get sick from someone's lack of morals. I am very much disgusted with this place and will NEVER stay at a Super 8 again!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose Super 8!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly front staff. Outdated rooms and seemed clean for the age of room. Huge smashed bug on wall. Nasty! No other bugs and no bedbugs. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Positive--The front desk staff was very pleasant. The room left a lot to be desired...cobwebs in the corner of the room, holes in the blanket, odor in the room, carpet not clean etc. Our concerns started when we entered the parking lot. Upon seeing our room, we would have fought the issue and left, but it was just too late at night. Would not suggest this Super 8! It definitely seems to attract the wrong type of clientele.

Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This place was horrible for the price. We were up all nite with next door neighbors being seriously loud all nite. (my guess drug usage going on) All I have to say for now.. corporate better get back with me with the right answers

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The room reeked of mold and activated my allergies. We turned on the ventilation unit and out came a huge cloud of dust and dirt and smell, which we breathed in, because we were bending over the vent unit. The carpets were stained in the room and in the hall. The toilet paper roll was soaked in an unidentified brown liquid. When we checked in and out, the man at the desk was rude, would not answer our questions, and would not cooperate with us when we commented on the filthy condition of the room. Both during checking and checkout, he kept smacking the computer monitor because it was slow. The breakfast had only stale grain items, no fruit or yogurt or anything fresh. All the cereals were sugar-coated and therefore inedible. While we were eating, the man from the desk went around spraying a caustic cleaner on the tables, which stung our eyes and nostrils. I got a sinus infection from staying there. I chose Super 8 because the one in Dodgeville Wisconsin is very clean and pleasant. But I made a terrible mistake, and will never chose a Super 8 other than Dodgeville again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2011

First off I don't usually complain. but when I made the reservation I asked if there was anyway way when we came in town, early that morning, if we could get our room early just so we could put our things in the room, so we would not have to carry them with us as we see the sites. The lady on the phone said, she wasn't sure that maybe we could at 12, but didn't think so before then. I also ask for a room on the ground floor. I would have to call that day. So that morning around noon I called, and a man answered, and said, without hesitation, No, check-in is at 2. which was ok it just would have helped out. Then when we checked it at 2:30, and we didn't get the ground floor. Why? We were there early! It didn't seem like it was full. Then the ice machine was broke on the top floor, and our bed felt broke as we sat on the edge of the bed. I was nice to have a microwave and refrigerator in the room though. Other wise it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This Super 8 blew us away! We were driving through and knew it would be late getting in, early to leave. Just wanted a very clean, comfortable room with a working TV and plumbing. Facility is older but looked and smelled very clean. King size bed, sheets, comforter, pillows, all very comfy. A refrig, microwave, coffee maker; all great! Thrilled with the price. Just did not want to spend $100+ when we just needed a few hours of rest. Great coffee and continental breakfast in the morning and we were off. No time to use the pool!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
AmericInn Lodge & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Des Moines Urbandale
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#7 of 11 in Urbandale
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston

Been to Super 8 Urbandale/Des Moines Area? Share your experiences!