Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sleep Inn(Urbandale)
Hotel Renovo(Urbandale)
View Hotel
All reviewsdes moinesair freshenersroom was cleanoatmealon linethe general managerstaff was friendlygreat place to stayesamotelfreewaymicrowavedeskvendingodorlinens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Don't stay here. We stayed here for a family wedding. Another family member made the reservation and we arrived before them. When I inquired about checking in, I was asked if I was the person that made the reservation. I advised that I was not. It was then that the rudeness came. The woman at the registration desk stated, "then I am not checking you in". It was the way she said it that I had a problem with. I understand why she couldn't check us in, but a simple "I'm sorry, but I can't check you in until the other party arrives" would have been a better way to state it. When the other party finally arrived, we were allowed to check in. Now for the disgusting part. The carpet is completely stained, the comforters have holes in them, and our "non smoking" room smells like smoke. I am usually OK with just about anything as long as it is clean and comfortable. My recommendation is to avoid this hotel and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Walker36877
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The level of cleanliness in your room and the lack of attention to your needs from our staff you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team has been directed to closely watch for issues such as yours when cleaning and inspecting rooms. Also, I have spoken with the entire team about the importance of providing great guest service and am coaching them on ways to better the service they offer moving forward.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at DMU @extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel, but the second night in an Extended Stay America. We had stayed in Cleveland the night before and had an unpleasant experience. This location however, will make me consider staying at this chain again. The staff were all fantastic, from the night watchman that let us in at midnight, to the front desk staff the next morning at check out. The hotel was well kept and our room spit spot. There was a nice area to walk our dog and good grab-and-go selection for breakfast. It was so much nicer than the location the night before, I was shocked that is was part of the same chain. So much so, I offered to write this review.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such fantastic things about the staff. It's great to hear that the grab-and-go breakfast was a hit, and the area to walk your dog was spacious..

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I would not enjoy an extended stay in this property. Not because it's a bad property or the staff isn't friendly and helpful. It's just so basic that it's boring. It sits next to an interstate all by itself and quite a distance (especially walking distance) from any restaurants, shopping, or night-life. Rooms are spartan in their decor and furnishings are just basic. The bathroom is brighly lit but has a fan that runs constantly that is so loud you can't hear the TV in the bedroom. An extended stay here would be a bit like an extended stay in a minimum security detention facility - survivable but not pleasant - and certainly not something you'd look forward to repeating. Luckily, my stay was just one night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Tom - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am very happy that you found our staff to be so friendly and helpful. Still, please accept our most sincere apologies for the level of cleanliness in your room and that our location was not ideal for your travels. As well, I am disheartened to read that the bathroom fan was not working properly. In response to your comments, I am working with the maintenance staff to make repairs in your room as needed and the housekeeping staff to revamp our cleaning procedures.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was my second time at this hotel. We had been there once before four months before. I will probably never return to Urbandale so my remarks will reflect that. The bed was comfortable, TV fine, lots of channels, plenty of hot water in a nice shower. Great fridge, microwave and lots of room overall. Wonderful price. Great grocery store close buy for food, drink everything. But the people at this hotel completely stand out. Without exception. The first dayshift woman actually remembered most of our names from 4 months before! And I can't remember hers..:( She had a granddaughter while we were there four months ago. Friendly, supportive, funny. The gentleman from a morning shift helped me out because I had forgotten my note taking book. He looked around and found me a yellow tablet to use. Saved me. They agreed to charge us the original room rate we had had in the winter, even though we were now coming in during pork expo. Saved us hundreds of dollars I'm sure. We stayed 5 days and it was great. I will look for this chain when I travel again. But I unfortunatly won't be going back to Iowa, and for that I'm sorry. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Thank you all. Dana from Oregon

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dana - The team and I appreciate your wonderful remarks about our entire staff. It is so rewarding to know that members of our staff remembered you from your last stay at our hotel and provided you with items that were forgotten. As well, I am so glad we were able to offer you the same rate for this stay, as you received for the one prior.

The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We are sorry to hear you will not be back to Iowa; however, we hope you will visit another of our brand locations around the U.S. and Canada in the future!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Must admit,that Regina and her staff felt more like family this time. They are wonderful at taking care of your every need. Place was clean, comfortable and I like having a fridge, stove and microwave as we could stop at the grocery store and pick up what we needed. In staying at Extended Stay remember to bring your own hair dryer and toiletries, they do supply hand soap and also have a vending machine to buy the things you forgot. There is a coffee maker and iron and ironing board in the room. You also get wireless Internet. in the morning in the lobby,they have coffee, packaged oatmeal, some fresh fruit and granola bars for a quick on the go breakfast.

I would definitely stay,there again. The staff is the BEST.

Room Tip: I was facing the front of the hotel on the bottom floor and never heard a thing. I would stay in the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the staff and how they made you feel like family. Also you mentioned you good experience with our clean and comfortable rooms. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!